S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What plans do you have for the coming Weekend?

Old 11-11-2018, 05:52 PM

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,651 Posts

I'm flying back to California in 3 days (Wednesday night) for 5 nights. Ricky's mom's tradition is to have her Thanksgiving the Sunday before the true Thanksgiving Day, in order to avoid the conflict for grown kids of "who's house do we go to to celebrate?" She's a loving, spunky, respectable, good-looking, and intelligent woman. She's the reason I'm going to fly to Cali more than Ricky is. I do love him but I also love living without him and with my Colorado cats. Anyway, since I'm there, why not hit Kennedy Meadows? It's already snowed three times here, in Loveland, CO, where I am most of the time, but it's still in the 50's and 60's at Kennedy Meadows, during the day, in the eastern Sierra Nevada's, of California, even though the elevation there is higher, at 6,000 feet. I need to go there and have a campfire and smell the smoke of it. It used to be almost a religious experience for me when my kids were young. I've owned that place for 21 years. It's a 4 hour-long drive from my house in Lake Forest, CA but it's so wonderfully delightful to me with the smells, air feeling, sights and sounds!

^4-1-2018.

^ Last time I was at Kennedy Meadows, CA, was 4-17-2018 when we had two Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) hikers, Tina and ^Ingrid, spend the night after their bad-ass hike from Tehachapi. We met them again in October in San Diego, and Tina signed my book she authored,
Lola Hikes The Icy Mountain Lola Hikes The Icy Mountain

^Tina (the author and grandmother, and Ingrid).

^Ingrid, Ricky, me and Tina (author). Tina and Ingrid live in different areas of San Diego, CA and Ricky and I were down there for the annual ElliptiGO Rally so we made it a point to meet up.

Last edited by Kyras; 11-11-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:31 AM

Received 4,932 Likes on 2,992 Posts

Patricia, I am always amazed and impressed how you can drift from highly social activities to doing totally isolated activities. Enjoy the CA trip.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:36 AM

Dave, that's how introverts operate. We can people for only so long before we need to recharge by being alone.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:40 AM

Received 4,932 Likes on 2,992 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Dave, that's how introverts operate. We can people for only so long before we need to recharge by being alone.
I quess I fall into that same catagory but unlike you, or even Donna, I've adapted to being more an inside than outside person. Plus I have no desire to travel by myself.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04
I quess I fall into that same catagory but unlike you, or even Donna, I've adapted to being more an inside than outside person. Plus I have no desire to travel by myself.
I've got a need to be outside, if it's not hot. The fresh cold air refreshes me where as hot air makes me pissy. I started to travel alone when I was 20 years-old and broken up from my boyfriend (husband in 8 more years.) I really wanted to go to the Colorado River and had no one to go with. I'd been going there to camp since I was 4 or 5 years-old. At the time, my mom and dad were divorced and I could do anything I wanted, living with my dad, without asking for permission. I decided I could do it (285 miles) and I drove to Parker, Arizona after getting off work, as a housekeeping aide at Encino Hospital, on a Friday evening. I loved it! I've never stopped since. The best part is the freedom to do exactly what you feel like doing without having to consider anyone else. I don't have the guts to go out of the country alone, but I don't have the desire to, anyway.

^This was in around 1964, when I was 5 or 6, with my brother, while we were boat camping at Lake Havasu on the Colorada River, Arizona side. Sorry if it's something you've seen many times before.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:26 AM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,566 Posts

Only plan so far is our annual (Year 3) get together at Old Ebbitt Grill (famous DC watering hole) Fri afternoon for happy hour extended with some friends. The guys have oysters and Manhattans and tequila shots and I have not oysters and a couple of Sex on the Beaches. Last year the +1 overindulged and pretty much passed out in the Uber on the way home. He may cut back a bit this time, but who knows. Then I guess Sat will be spent recovering.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:24 PM

Received 2,746 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Looks like we have some grandkid transport duty this weekend. Grandddaughter is saving her $ to replace car she had an accident with, son and daughter in law working similar shifts. I'll be on soccer duty, Rick may need to pick granddaughter up after she finishes her shift on Saturday. We have dinner (Italian) with friends on Saturday evening.

This is the weekend where local artist open up their studios which are situated in an old mill building. I've been the last two years but may not have time this weekend. There is also a craft show and this company will be selling their "wares." I bought a pendant from them this summer and I would not mind another piece of jewelry. It's unique. I may try to make the trip to check out the craft show where they will be.
rlr custom dichroic glass pendants, RLR Custom Glass Pendants Milford, MA Home
Old 11-17-2018, 12:12 AM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,566 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Only plan so far is our annual (Year 3) get together at Old Ebbitt Grill (famous DC watering hole) Fri afternoon for happy hour extended with some friends. The guys have oysters and Manhattans and tequila shots and I have not oysters and a couple of Sex on the Beaches. Last year the +1 overindulged and pretty much passed out in the Uber on the way home. He may cut back a bit this time, but who knows. Then I guess Sat will be spent recovering.
The +1 did not overindulge although it was close. They had Irish Old Fashioneds instead of Manhattans. Here is a pic of the Orca Platter. Really yummy seafood!

Last edited by MsPerky; 11-17-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:35 AM

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
The +1 did not overindulge although it was close. They had Irish Old Fashioneds instead of Manhattans. Here is a pic of the Orca Platter. Really yummy seafood!

That looks delicious.

Our development has a pre Thanksgiving dinner tonight. Then tomorrow we go to Philadelphia Chinatown for lunch with neighbors.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:12 AM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

it looks good although not really that a many calories.
Basically gout on ice.

Quick Reply: What plans do you have for the coming Weekend?