S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What's the best prank you ever pulled on anyone?

Old 04-10-2014, 05:44 PM

Received 3,513 Likes on 2,377 Posts

Tony made me think of another "prank" on a fellow coworker.
first off it wasn't me who did it so if he inflictee ever reads this don't come kill me.
and yes it is rather geeky, extremely so

we had a fellow coworker who was a real A-hole. always angry and nothing was ever his fault.
he finally pissed off his coworkers that they waited until he left his machine logged on when he was away.
they quickly changed his .csrhc to overload the ls command.
The new ls operator would generate a random number from 1 to 60 and compare it to the current seconds of the time field.
if they matched it would call logout, else it would simply call ls with the argument list that was passed in so you would never see it.

So with a frequency that was much higher than one would expect he machine would randomly log him out.

it truly was a stroke of genius and drove the guy nuts for months.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:04 PM

Received 2,986 Likes on 1,661 Posts

^ Real a-holes need to be screwed with for their own good.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:53 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

I have thought of several pranks, and practical jokes that I have played over the years but in when it comes right down to it the one prank that is S2K related that stands out (in my book) goes to Valentine (AKA Darlene) at the Tom Catt Run several years ago. This was before Jonas stated to arrange for the hotel to provide us with a "party room" as part of our group deal.

While at our Saturday night dinner someone asked the question: Where is the "after prom party" going to be? Valentine piped up with: "My room, 314".

When we got back to the hotel the Plant Pixie and me and several others found ourselves walking up and down the hall on the third floor searching for Room 314 to no avail. What made this more of a mystery was that there was a Room 214 and 114? But that room on the third floor had been turned into a linen closet. The next morning at breakfast we asked Valentine if she knew this? She claims to this day that she did not and just pulled 314 out of thin air. When we asked her if she had given any thought as to what would have happened if there really had been a room 314 she just shrugged and said no.

So, to this day the rule about what happens in the "after prom party room" the symbolic room 314 is what happens in 314 stays in 314.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:42 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA

While at our Saturday night dinner someone asked the question: Where is the "after prom party" going to be? Valentine piped up with: "My room, 314".
Old 04-29-2014, 10:35 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Well two come to mind.

I work around legislative business. Anywho sitting watching a House floor session a senior member was standing up and giving a speech about a major issue. He was a pretty good natured fellow, with a sense of humor and a constituency that was behind him so he could get away with some things others could not without worrying about what everyone thought. A few people thought it would be fun to send him a House page to deliver a note. We obsevered a woman sitting up in the gallery above the House floor in a red dress. The note read something like:

Dear Rep XXXXXX,

I am one of your constituents, and I have been sitting up here in the gallery listening to your speech and let me say it is one of the most garbage filled, blustery diatribes I have ever heard. It was full of nonsense and misguided "facts". You seem to have no clue what the district thinks and I will be working very hard for your opponent next election,

Sincerely,

The Woman in the Red Dress

We watched this member read the note and begin to look very cross. He stood up on the floor, looked up into the gallery, found the lady in the red dress, and defiantly give her the finger and then trudge off the House floor. She had no clue what was going on but a group of about 15 observers in another balcony erupted with laughter. We later told him about the joke and it became one of his favorite stories to tell.

The other was somewhat cruel, but was done occasionally as a pre-teen with some of the nasty kids in the neighborhood. We would catch a squirrel in a box trap. Then we would close the squirrel in a random mailbox. When we saw the mailman drive into the neighborhood, we would bang on the mailbox with a stick and shake it to get it all excited and then hide in the bushes to watch. When the mailman opened the box, he nearly had a heart attack. A terrified squirrel jumping out of a mailbox and into a mail truck is quite a sight. We did not have camera phones and youtube back then. And probably fewer lawsuits.