S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What's your current fancy?

Old 07-14-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

My current fancy is still my cars. I'm busy getting the S prepped for the trip to Oregon. We are going up I5 but coming back down the coast and taking 5 days to do that. I am also prepping for a track day in the Lotus as soon as I get back. Lots to do and I am still working (or trying to) between now and the trip to Oregon.

The S needs a proper detailing and I'm not going to do it (I'm going to pay someone). I need to finally get a second grommet added to the Muz floor mats that I was given as a gift several years ago. I put some inexpensive seat covers on the seats (who wants a burnt butt?) and replaced the roof straps (second time) with the Modifry ones. I have to get an oil change sometime this week too. I checked the air in the spare last weekend and found it was quite low. Topped it off and then checked it again this weekend and found it was about 5 pounds lower than I filled it to. I think I'll get a can of fix a flat and keep it with the spare in case I need to use the spare.

I contemplated a luggage rack but decided against it. It's more than I want to spend right now on something I will likely only use once. We have decided we will just deal with it if we get a flat and need to rearrange things in the trunk. I already know I will remove the toolkit inset from the trunk and just keep the tools wrapped in a towel in with the spare tire. So, a bit much going on here with the S.

The Lotus and it's first track day with me will be interesting. It was a great opportunity that came up and I'm quite excited about it. A friend works for the Allen Berg Racing School and he let us know that Berg has a school planned that weekend but they don't use the track the entire time. So they offer to rent it out and share the track with some other group for the time while Berg isn't using it. Nice deal for us! We got together 15 friends (well 17 friends, 15 cars) and are splitting the rental cost among us. But it will be HOT out at Streets of Willow in Lancaster, CA. No doubt about it. So we have to be prepared for that. I'm going out the night before and meeting up with some folks who are driving in from Phoenix and Sacramento to hang out.

And there are lots of little things I need to do to be prepped for the day (tools? cooler? helmet? etc). Like I said, very excited about it but also with some trepidation. I mean, yes, this is one of the biggest reasons why I bought the Lotus, but it's a little nerve-wracking. It's not difficult to do expensive damage to an Elise so I need to be mindful of that.

Work has been a little stressful for several reasons. A couple of clients have been being slow to pay on their invoices. I get it. I know how it is, but I gotta pay the rent. Sometimes I'm too nice.

I have some clients who are making some major changes but not keeping me in the loop ahead of time as to those plans, and then are surprised when I let them know our schedule is booked.

Interestingly, I may have found a way to make the last day of my Oregon trip a business expense. One of my clients has a (sort of) retired employee who lives in San Luis Obispo now. He is just the sweetest man ever and he is hating like crazy that he is retiring and I feel for him. He feels completely at a loss if he isn't doing what he does, which is placing people in jobs. He is of the old-school of headhunters who actually gets to know people and their needs and tries to make a good fit so everyone is happy. I'm pretty sure he just does it for either free or some very nominal fee now just so he can stay active. Anyway, his "employer" (my client) replaced some equipment which they were willing to donate to a good cause. I offered to install a fresh OS on one of the PCs at a significantly reduced hourly rate, bring it to him, and set it up as schedule permitted and he is just thrilled with that idea. Well... I could finish it before the trip, ship it, and drop in on the way back down the coast to set it up, I think. That would make my expenses less, keep the cost to him down, and make everyone happy. And you know... he's just the nicest man ever.

What else... oh, BF's sister had a baby last week. Went to go play with him yesterday. They are SOOOOO cute when they are that little. I played with him, spoiled him rotten, had a blast, then left.

Lots of stuff, just not a lot of time or inclination to type long posts about a lot of it.

It's summer time. People are out doing what they were aching to do all winter long! If they were posting a bunch, I would probably be wondering what's wrong that they aren't out enjoying themselves.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:13 PM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Hmmm, well we're do we start.
I, too, have observed that we're rather lonely on the board lately.
Interests, my health trials and tribulations over the last two years have been posted.
I know have a renewed vigor and my interests are rather boring,
now that I have some energy again ( plan to get back into shape which is rather pathetic at the moment. ( round is a shape right?)
There is this puppy keeping us rather busy. he will eat anything and everything if given the opportunity.
Got the wife a kayak for our anniversary ( 33 years, women is s saint to put up with me) , might get one for me ... maybe....
Also got her a new body. a nikon that is, D7100. more pixels than you can shake a stick at.

I replaced the '01 E430 with a '10 E550 . . . . wheeee damn quick, quicker than the S2000 by a good stretch.
Replaced the '98 LM320 with an frickin' immaculate '07 GL450.

I thought the wife had spun a rod bearing last week in her S430. it was making a gawd awful racket rap rap rap rap rap
It turned out she had spun a bearing but in the AC compressor not in the actual engine.

we spent last week hanging round the shanty on vacation, golfing, biking, and doing yard work.
It was nice to have the energy to do those types of things.

A few years backI go the wife a small sewing machine to replace the one she got in high school which never really worked right.
I didn't know I was buying a gateway machine that would plunge her deep into the cult of quilting.
This required a much more capable machine. She's been playing with that.

#2 son will be starting his masters this fall, got a full boat ride... ( this was good as the bank of mommie and daddie is exhausted. )

I did a yard project where i put thick vinyl boarders around the garden areas creating raised beds for a Hostas garden. We also had to raise the lawn level due to the paving 2 years ago.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:40 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Those quilters can be quite the dedicated bunch, I know, my wife is one too.
Levi
Old 07-14-2014, 04:37 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

I work an awful lot of hours and that takes most of my time. Some of my spare time goes to my newfound love of learning to play the guitar, some goes to my newly acquired Bertone X-1/9, some to my S2000 and a big chunk of time gets spent with my wife and family. Still, I'd manage to find some time for this forum. My problem is that I can't find enough interesting threads here. I don't think that we've exhausted all of the possible topics but I do think that people just aren't as enthusiastic about posting here anymore.

Some of it might have to do with the Vintage Forum itself and the content here. There are plenty of Vintage aged people driving S2000s and plenty posting on S2Ki as proven by the "40 year old thread" in S2000Talk. Yet they never come in here. Perhaps they aren't interested in what's here.

I think there are lots of reasons this forum has slowed down. We've all developed other interests, some of us have been here a very long time, there isn't enough interesting content, we don't get enough new people, the car hasn't been made in five years and so on.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 151 Likes on 136 Posts

'nuff said!
Old 07-14-2014, 06:15 PM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

I was looking at a twin kayak so could take my dog in it.
MAX weight was 450 lbs which assuming my weight doesn't change a whole lot and the dog fills out to his potential
we'd be right at the limit.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:15 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

I think as we age, other things take our time. Some have sold their S2000's ( like us) and some have issues with parents (Lainey, I and ?)
and lots of things have been discussed over and over. But you know, when I need information on any topic, this is one of the first places I look for answers. Somebody has been there, done that. And I hate to reinvent the wheel.

I had other things, but just can't remember them now....
Old 07-15-2014, 05:50 AM

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Morris (Dean), same here about looking for advice on Vintage.

I also fancy felines so I volunteer one night a week with the rescue cats up for adoption at my local Petsmart. We had 15 last night. That's a lot of kitties. Two were adults and there were two litters of kittens, plus a few others. So cute.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I was looking at a twin kayak so could take my dog in it. MAX weight was 450 lbs which assuming my weight doesn't change a whole lot and the dog fills out to his potential we'd be right at the limit.
And the dog is big enough to save you from drowning.

Sent by carrier pigeon
Old 07-15-2014, 06:14 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Jerry/bolton, congrats on the son's continuing education at a price you can't say no to!! Excellent!

So Barb has new camera.............cool!

Morris/Dean, you are right, if I have a question, or need info. This is the first place I go. The life experiences of those here is invaluable.

Quick Reply: What's your current fancy?