S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Vintage Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/)
-   -   What are your motel ratings! (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vintage-owners-117/what-your-motel-ratings-1181643/)

dlq04 02-04-2018 09:06 AM

What are your motel ratings!

Over time various chains get better, get worse, or just stay the same. I have not update my list in few years, since we travel less than we used to. I thought I would share my list to see if you agree or have different recommendations. I realize sometimes they are only as good or bad as your last experience.

We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express on Friday; with tax it was $149 . . not exactly moderate priced and although it was brand new, with very cool updated features, lighting, etc. it had the worst pillows I tried to sleep on in years - at 4am I went down to the desk to see if they had any that were thinner for a side sleeper but they did not.

Best Motels

Luxury:
Embassy,
Westin,
Marriott

Moderate:
Hampton,
Sleep Inn,
LaQuinta,
Drury Inn,
Fairfield
Holiday Inn Express

Budget:
Microtel

Avoid:
Radisson,
Ramada,
Baymont,
Quality,
Red Roof,
Days Inn,
Clarion,
Super 8
Motel 6

Emil St-Hilaire 02-04-2018 09:43 AM

GGT was in a Holiday Inn Express,very good,was brand new,...so new,was not on the gps,yet.
Normally go to Hampton,Marriott(+/- $140.00 )and also like Best Western,when travelling.

MsPerky 02-04-2018 10:19 AM

We are not traveling that much these days, either. But when we do, I always start with Starwood hotels, which now include Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin, among others. Accumulate points, nights, etc. I also joined the Fairmont President's Club when we traveled to Canada, since we stayed at a few there on our train trip and got nice benefits from being club members. I like the club level at Westin hotels so try to book rooms where that is offered. For example, we are headed to Chicago in Nov for a nephew's wedding and are staying at a nice corner club room at the Westin Chicago River North with a view up the river. I'm not that cheap when it comes to where I stay. :) I do stay at less expensive hotels in smaller towns when one of these is not available or not convenient. I would not put Ramada and Quality and Radisson on the avoid list myself, but that is based on experience from some time ago so. I also like B&Bs a lot. We've stayed at some really nice ones in different cities over the years.

dlq04 02-04-2018 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire (Post 24415926)
GGT was in a Holiday Inn Express,very good,was brand new,...so new,was not on the gps,yet.
Normally go to Hampton,Marriott(+/- $140.00 )and also like Best Western,when travelling.

I agree on Best Western; they should be on moderate list.

Lainey 02-04-2018 10:48 AM

We don't travel all that much compared to many here.

Our usual first choice is a Hampton Inn. Best Western is generally second. We found, in some cases, the Best Westerns in Canada to be a bit above some we have been at in the US. Luxury hotels are not in our travel budget.

Another option is the Residence Inn. I have one booked and will soon book a second for each leg of our trip to and from SC in April. Two bedrooms, two bath, full kitchen (if you need it) and free breakfast for a price of less than $200.00 works for me. It's cheaper than getting two rooms, and sometimes hotels won't guarantee adjoining rooms which is a must since we are traveling with the granddaughter and her friend.

Our next two extended stays are booked through VBRO (Vacation Rental by Owner) it worked out very reasonably for our stay in SC, and the price is also reasonable for our trip to Niagara Falls

Off my list is Motel 6. Years ago there was a Super 8 near my sister's house that wasn't bad at all. Haven't stayed in one in a long time though. Rick has no interest in a B&B. If I were traveling alone I might consider one, but I'm not sharing a bathroom...

dlq04 02-04-2018 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey (Post 24415949)
If I were traveling alone I might consider one, but I'm not sharing a bathroom...

:confused: Not even with Rick? :rofl:

MsPerky 02-04-2018 11:02 AM

All the B&Bs we've stayed in have lovely private baths. They aren't hostels. :)

colnagotifosi 02-04-2018 11:03 AM

Luxury:
Ritz
Fairmont
Kimpton
Westin

Near Luxury:
Marriott
Delta (Marriott)
AC (Marriott)
Curio (Marriott)
Renaissance
Hilton
Embassy
Crown Plaza

Moderate:
Hampton,
Fairfield
Hilton Garden
Homewood Suites
Holiday Inn Express
Springhill Suites

Budget:
Sleep Inn,
LaQuinta,
Drury Inn,
Microtel
Baymont,
Quality

Avoid:
Radisson,
Ramada,
Red Roof,
Days Inn
Clarion
Super 8
Motel 6

dlq04 02-04-2018 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire (Post 24415926)

The Holiday Inn Express we stayed in that I mentioned was $40 more/night than the ones I stay at in MI every year which we like when going to a car club meet on the west side of the state. Location, location, location means a great deal when it comes to prices. Here in the mid-west $120/night is probably our norm.

Speaking of prices, I filled up with Shell gas just after crossing into MI and then drove down the road maybe 6 or 7 miles to another Shell station that was selling it for 22 cents/gallon more! The Mobil across from him was listed at the same price. Someone's making a nice profit with traffic coming from the other direction.

dlq04 02-04-2018 11:13 AM

coln.. that's the kind of list I like to see; I got from your other posts you travel a lot on business. thanks.