S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Where did you Honeymoon? Ever return?

Old 07-10-2007, 09:40 PM

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,651 Posts
Thumbs up Where did you Honeymoon? Ever return?

What did you do for a honeymoon? Was it a good time? Have you ever gone back there? Would you like to? Tell us about the place.

Andy and I got married on July 7, 1984 and flew up to Lake Tahoe the next day for a week. We rented a convertible Mustang and stayed in a one-bedroom cottage next to the lake. It was a good time. We had been there once before when we were both 17, between high school and college, with his parents.

We went back again for our one year anniversary, and also took our kids there twice in the past 7 years or so. We just were there again for three nights, last week. I love Lake Tahoe. The water is very clear and has many different shades of color, depending on the depth.

^Lake Tahoe in June 2005, on the way from Sacramento, California to Reno, Nevada, during the SacS2kDays.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:57 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Since Virginija and I were married in Australia (we figured that one family or another will have to travel, and mine jumped at the chance), our honeymoon was 10 days driving around Australia. Our first couple days were spent in the Barossa Valley, a major winegrowing region near Adelaide. We rented a small cottage at a winery and rested up for a few days after the hectic schedule pre-wedding.

After that, we headed north to the Flinders ranges, where we stayed in different places each night - motels, rented campervans, whatever. We hiked and climbed around the mountains there, and just generally took it easy.

One evening, I was looking at the map, and decided that Ayers Rock was reachable with about a day and a half's drive. So, the next morning, we headed north, stopping at the last town before the empty outback to stock up on a few supplies. We had borrowed some camping gear from friends, and we expected to use it on this part of the trip, but we were short a few items, like propane for the stove, etc.

We drove through Coober Pedy, where they mine the opals, and spent a few hours wandering around the town & buying opals (I've still got a beautiful black opal that we planned to have made into a ring for me), then headed further north.

The freeway between Adelaide and Alice Springs is very interesting - you go through the flattest place on earth - horizon to horizon of nothing bigger than your fist. No trees, no guardrails, nothing. You could see a jackrabbit 2 miles away. We set the cruise control at about 160kph and cruised. About every 45 minutes, we would see a car coming the other way, and we would wave at each other. If your steering was steady, it felt like you could just fall asleep for 10-20 minutes, wake up and still be cruising north, it was so flat & straight.

We made it just into the Northern Territory that day (that's the actual name of the state), and stopped at a roadside campground where we pitched the tent. The next morning we had a couple more hours to Ayers Rock - the largest single rock known in the world (so advertised, though we were told that there was a larger one a little to the east, though on private land and therefore not open to the public). I highly recommend climbing it during Australia's winter. It was about 90 degrees and doable in a couple hours. I can't imagine trying it in the 120 degree heat of summer! A number of folks have died trying that.

After Ayers Rock, we traced a fairly straight path back to Melbourne. A total of 10 days, and about 4000 miles, if I recall.

We've gone back to visit family there 5 times so far, the last 2 times with Anika. Each time we visit to a different area (after a week or so with the rellies), though we did revisit the Barossa Valley once. There's just too much to see there to keep going to the same places.

We'll keep going back - some of the friendliest people on the planet, and so much to see.

JonasM
Old 07-11-2007, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Connie and I honeymooned in Boston. We were young and poor. Now that we live near Boston, we hate going in there due to all the traffic. It is so close to home that we see no need to spend some nights in any hotel.
But, this year we are actually going away, just the two of us to Nova Scotia for a week. We plan on enjoying our time together and act like tourist (nevermind act we will be tourists). This will be the first time since 1990 that we get away, and the first time since our so called honeymoon that we are actually getting away just the two of us for a week. I am so looking forward to getting away with my honey.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:37 AM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,566 Posts

My ex and I got married on the spur of the moment - he asked on a Wed, we had a reception on Sat, and the following Mon we got married. He was up here on a break from a contract he was working on in Jacksonville, FL. He missed me and decided to ask me. I flew down a few weeks later at the end of the contract, and we went to Disney World (it was new then) and some other spots around there. So I guess that was our honeymoon.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We went to Little Palm Island Resort and Spa about 1/2 hour from Key West (www.littlepalmisland.com). It is a private island accessible by ferry boat only. Words cannot do the place justice so I will post lots of pictures. The motto of the island is "The Art of Doing Nothing". There are no TV's in the suites and cell phone use is strongly discouraged. There is one pay phone on the island. To say that you are pampered would be the understatement of the century. White table cloth dining on the beach with food prepared by renowned chef's...spa treatments, gifts left on the bed every night. It was quite an experience and yes, I'd love to go back. We talked about going for our anniversary every year but affordability would be the issue (see retirement thread). I'll try to explain each pic. On our way thru Florida we stopped in Orlando for a few days and hit Sea World, Epcot, and then hit Kennedy Space Center. I won't bore you withtoo many of thos pics, just these...

This is a roller coaster ride at Epcot. I'm not usually a roller coaster guy but this looked fun. It splashes in water on the way down this structure. I got on and they said whoever sits in the front doesn't get wet. Yeah right! See second pic. I was SOAKED!!!

This one...well...you want power...strap this sucker to your arse...

A couple pics from the beach on one of the Keys on the way down...

This is the entry to the resort at Little Palm...

This is one of the first things you see...

Our suite...

On the deck of our suite just before breakfast was delivered. Do I look relaxed?

Breakfast...

My beautiful bride...

Beautiful bride and her rock star husband...

More in the next post...
Old 07-11-2007, 07:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Entrance to the Zen Garden where there was a water fountain, a few chairs and piped in "relaxation music"...

The pool area...these pics don't do this justice. When you lay on a raft you look up at a canopy of the most amazing palm trees and doppled sunshine...

Private dining hut where they will set up a private romantic dinner...

The beach and conceirge hut...the guy there provides you with clean towels and a continuous supply of cold bottled water. He'll also deliver lunch to you on the beach. When he's not doing all that he's raking the beach of every small stick and leaf...

If you're into chess...

The fire pit and dining area ON THE BEACH...we had reservations for 7PM, 15 minutes before sunset, which is right in front of you over the water...

A walk around the island...

My assignment for the day...

Old 07-11-2007, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ I'm envious.

Little Palm is an outstanding place for a honeymoon -- no children, lots of pampering, enough activities to offer distractions from the main, um, distractions.

It's not for the light-of-wallet or for tightwads, but what better way is there to spend that kind of money? And it's even pretty easy to get to (compared to places in Hawaii or the Caribbean). HPH
Old 07-11-2007, 09:42 AM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

It was June 23d 1963. The day before, I had jacked up my TR3 and overhauled the clutch slave cylinder.
Off we went to our dream honeymoon. We didn't have much money. hell, we had less than that!

Destination was the Mimslyn Inn in Luray Virgina.
We were pretty tired when we arrived. Took it easy the first day.
The next day I did what I had wanted to do ever since we arrived.

Go see the caverns.

We were there for 3 days. A beautiful area and the accommodations were first class.

We went back about 15 years later only to find the hotel had apparently fallen on hard times. Anyway, we have beautiful memories of that place.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:08 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Went to Canada for a week ....... primarily in the Ottawa area. Five years later I was lucky enough to be the Project Engineer on a year long construction job about an hour south of Ottawa and we were able to visit there a couple of times a month.

That was a long time ago ... we keep talking about going back but haven't made it so far..... we both really liked the area.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:12 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

The first humans arrived in Niagara Region almost 12,000 years ago, just in time to witness the birth of the Falls. By 9,500 years ago a deciduous forest covered southernmost Ontario. The Woodland Period lasted from 3,000 to 300 years ago. In 1535 Jacques Cartier left France to explore the New World. Although he never saw Niagara Falls, the Indians he met along the St.Lawrence River told him about it. Etienne Brule, the first European to see Lakes Ontario, Erie Huron and Superior, may also have been the first to behold the Falls, in 1615. Two hundred years later tourism travel to the Falls began and within 50 years it had increased ten-fold to become the area's dominant industry. After World War 1, automobile touring became popular. As a response, attractions and accommodations sprang up in strip developments, much of which still survives. Following a tradition of explorers and daredevils we embarked on our honeymoon there, like the thousands before, 38 years ago. We have re-visited the Niagara Falls numerous times as it's often on our way to events "out east". It is still an awesome sight and sound. The motel we stayed in is still there but it needs a restoration.

Quick Reply: Where did you Honeymoon? Ever return?