S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Where should we go domestically?

Old 04-19-2012, 08:44 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts
Default Where should we go domestically?

Now that I no longer travel on business, I realized that I have a little over 68,500 miles on American Airlines to use or lose (unless I purchase an extension) by 21 May 12. I would HATE to let these miles go to waste so that brought up the question of where we should go domestically.

Neither of us have ever been to Key West, FL so that became a front runner. But, in order to accomplish this for both of us we have to find flights to a destination on a space available basis. When I called American Airlines tonight that was possible within the time frame. With that stated and knowing that several of you have been to Key West we are seeking advice as to where to stay, things to do (As for me, I would really like to see Michael McCloud perform). This will have to be a short three or four day trip for various reasons. So with all of that out of the way: The question is: Where should we go domestically? And if it is Key West what suggestions on where to stay and what to see do you have to offer?

Thank you in advance for your feed back.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:05 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Well, we loved Key West, so I can certainly recommend that. The Gardens Hotel was lovely, so I'd book there if you can. We walked everywhere. It might be tricky on short notice, though, since they only have 17 rooms. There are many nice B&Bs in KW if The Gardens doesn't work out. We went to Hemingway House, the Butterfly Conservatory (a MUST), the aquarium, and just generally had a wonderful time - four days was perfect.

Michael McCloud is at the Schooner Wharf from 12-5 Tues-Sun. If you like Cuban food, El Siboney is fabulous!!! Went there twice. No reservations, though, so it could be a wait of about 30 min. Have a grouper sandwich at B.O.'s Fish Shack. Caroline's is also good. Go to Kermit's Key Lime Shoppe. Everything key lime there! I brought back a dip mix which can also be used to make key lime pie (just mix it with cream cheese and Cool Whip and put it in a graham cracker crust). I made it the other day - really, really, delicious. Enjoy, wherever you end up!
Old 04-20-2012, 04:51 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

We belong to the "Michael Moore Stinks" fan club....

He's probably playing at the Schooner Wharf Bar. That's his usual haunt.

Great place to drink but trust me, don't eat the food there. I've seen the kitchen.

If you want a really interesting side trip, take the ferry out to the dry tortugas and see the fort. America's single largest investment and boondoggle of the 19th century. The ferry will run you out past the Marquesas and across the sand flat where mel fishers team is still digging up treasure.

Have fun

fltsfshr
Old 04-20-2012, 05:35 AM

Received 2,766 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Matt, I guess the answer is based on what you want to see/do while on vacation.

How much travel have you done to the western or south western part of the US?

I know you gave me some helpful travel hints for our trip to Sedona, AZ. Are there any other destinations out there that are calling to you? I'd like to head that way again at some point.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:08 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

It's beautiful in the Napa Valley, after all our rainfall. In the 80s today. World class restaurants, several new hotels to choose from. And over 250 wineries to visit without even leaving the valley.

Good luck on the seats. Last time I tried to use air miles to go to Hawaii, the best flight they had was leaving at 3 a.m., with stops in Dallas, Chicago, Phoenix, Seattle and LA. And those were the seats in the baggage compartment!
Old 04-20-2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Well, we loved Key West, so I can certainly recommend that. The Gardens Hotel was lovely, so I'd book there if you can. We walked everywhere. It might be tricky on short notice, though, since they only have 17 rooms.

Thanks Deb. We appreciate the info.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by fltsfshr
We belong to the "Michael Moore Stinks" fan club....

He's probably playing at the Schooner Wharf Bar. That's his usual haunt.
Great place to drink but trust me, don't eat the food there. I've seen the kitchen.

If you want a really interesting side trip, take the ferry out to the dry tortugas and see the fort. America's single largest investment and boondoggle of the 19th century. The ferry will run you out past the Marquesas and across the sand flat where mel fishers team is still digging up treasure.

Have fun

fltsfshr
I am confused about your Michael Moore comment? Did you mean Michael McCloud? Well if you did, each to there own. I kind of like most of his music although, I have never seen him in person so maybe that may change my mind about him. Some musicians are not good live, and others like Liza Minnelli do NOT come across in recordings but are a must see when it comes to a live performance.

Thanks for the info on the side trip.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lainey
Matt, I guess the answer is based on what you want to see/do while on vacation.

How much travel have you done to the western or south western part of the US?
We are not "resort" type people, nor do we like to "lay by the pool". We are not into touristy stuff either. For example: Neither of us liked Bar Harbor, Maine (too much of a tourist trap IMO), but we both loved Camden, Maine. We like to see the geographic sights and more importantly get a sense of the way that the locals live. On our trip to Sedona, we really enjoyed our side trip (and lunch) in Payson, AZ.

To answer the second question: I have traveled a bit more extensively, mostly on business, (there are only six states that I have not been too) than the Plant Pixie, but neither of us have ever been to New Mexico so that may have promise.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Morris
It's beautiful in the Napa Valley, after all our rainfall. In the 80s today. World class restaurants, several new hotels to choose from. And over 250 wineries to visit without even leaving the valley.

Good luck on the seats. Last time I tried to use air miles to go to Hawaii, the best flight they had was leaving at 3 a.m., with stops in Dallas, Chicago, Phoenix, Seattle and LA. And those were the seats in the baggage compartment!
We have never been to Northern California together. So that is a thought. I have been to the town of Napa and had a wonderful dinner at the Marymonte Inn back in 1985. A search on Yelp.com did not find it, so it may be out of business. It is the second most expensive restaurant that I have ever eaten at. The first was on our fifth anniversary in Vienna, Austria.

Neither of us have ever seen the Red Woods, and that has been on our "bucket list" for a while. So that is a thought.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:27 PM

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. Please keep them coming. It appears as though I will buy an extension (if I can again) so we don't have to make a snap decision regarding this.

Quick Reply: Where should we go domestically?