S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Why I hate new cars

Old 11-23-2016, 10:26 AM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts
Default Why I hate new cars

We had to leave the house at 7:30 am today to go to the Detroit airport to pick up family flying in from Florida. So at 7:30 pm last night I thought I'd better fill up with gas since the forecast was for early freezing rain - best to start out with a full tank. Turned the key and the Audi was dead. Lights, etc. all good. So I checked my battery charger's readout and only 10 volts or so. After charging it for a short time it started but then died again. Time was running out for me since the auto store closed within an hour. How tough can it be to replace a battery? I was aware something had to be programed in the car's computer to tell it got a new battery. Ok, I figured we could do that later. I watched a short YouTube video on replacing it in a similar car. A good tip was to connect both the positive and negative cables to a battery tender before disconnecting them; that way clock's etc. did not have to be reprogramed. So after removing the tie-downs

....... stayed tuned, got'a go.... will finish this later.

Ok, I'm back. I disconnected the two battery cables and started to remove it when I spotted a flexible tube coming out the side of the battery. I was doing this in 30 degree weather, rushing because the store was closing, and the lighting was not the greatest. I decided I didn't have time to research what it was and still make it to the auto store. So I reattached everything and hooked up the battery tender for the evening. We had planned to drive two cars to the airport since we had four adults and two kids car seats plus lots of luggage to deal with. I began trying to figure out backup plans.

This morning at 6 am I had a big smile when I saw the green light blinking which ment I had 80% charge on the battery. At least that would get me to the airport. It did and thankfully we only had to deal with rain but not freezing rain as was forecast.

The nearest Audi dealer from my house is 45 minutes away. Since we were passing through Ann Arbor I went to the Audi dealer. They told me the flex hose off the battery was a vent for the hydrogen off the battery since the trunk is considered part of the cabin area. They told me they would have to reprogram the car's computer so the computer's many modual's that run the alternator, etc. could recognize the new battery. The battery was $168 vs the $125 from AutoZone. The labor was $130. I know for fact I could have easily removed and replaced the battery physically within 15 minutes..... pull out the spare, remove 3 mount screws, loosen 2 cable screws and then reverse the procedure with the new. They charged me an hour's labor at an inflated rate - normal where we live the average is $80. With tax it costs me $315 for the peace of mind that we have good transportation while the family was in town; so in that sense it was worth it.

The funny part is my Audi is now 10 years old but its still new to me since it's only got 53k but its on the 3rd battery. So maybe I should say it's an Audi problem (to damn tech'y for a shade tree mechanic) but I suspect many new car's with all the electronics have similar crap to deal with.

Last edited by dlq04; 11-23-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

My newest car is my 01 s2k.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

This sounds more like an Audi problem than a new car problem.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I've tried that Dave and it ain't easy getting those clips to stay on the battery terminals while you are trying to pull them off the battery posts.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:12 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

What year is the Audi?
Levi
Old 11-23-2016, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
I've tried that Dave and it ain't easy getting those clips to stay on the battery terminals while you are trying to pull them off the battery posts.
I had no problem with that part. It was the vent tube that threw me.... never saw one before (see above)
Old 11-23-2016, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
What year is the Audi?
Levi
2006 (I know thats not new.... see above for the rest of the story)
Old 11-23-2016, 11:57 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Hope you have less trouble to change battery in the MG...

Last edited by Emil St-Hilaire; 11-23-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Tried one of those 9v deals you plug into an outlet and turn on the accessories with the key to keep the memory alive, on my daughter's 04 TL. Did not work. Back to my old method of hooking up my spare RV battery (also used for model airplane LiPo battery charging ) deep cell, to the terminals to keep the memory alive. Be careful about rings and tools being dropped and shorting things out. Does not take much time to liquefy a ring on a finger with all that amperage. The dealer uses a system that plugs into the OBD-II port to energize the memory during battery replacement. They made me a deal: $95 installed for a new battery in the S.

BTW, I know that airport well; it is my base even thought I live in California. Thank you for your patronage!

Last edited by cosmomiller; 11-23-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 3,514 Likes on 2,378 Posts

Dave, the battery in my E550 died last summer. it lasted almost 7 years.
hit the Mbrace help wrench button, and a little voice came over the speaker, asked a few questions and sent a tech out.
he showed up in the parking lot about 30 minutes later with a new battery.
I paid for the battery but no labor and he did all of the magic stuff to make it happy in the car.
I think it was about $180.

Quick Reply: Why I hate new cars