S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Why would anyone use Kaspersky?

Old 11-12-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
adblock worst well but some sites have put in detectors for it.
Yep, they are fighting back. I get a few pop up windows that now say if I want to read what's on some site I need to shutoff my adblock. Generally, I say screw you and don't do it unless its something I really want to see, read, etc.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:06 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Jerry, I have a couple of friends that work in the engineering and it fields and there has been the same concern about Lenovo. We need to be very careful of backdoors these days. There is no way in h3ll that would put a Russian/Eastern European or Chinese product on my computer, if there is any other way. The US government has been begging for years to have backdoors into our products, but industry has pushed back in the public. Does anyone actually believe that the FSB which gave us Putin doesn't have a backdoor to every computer with Kaspersky, I certainly do not.

That said I have Windows 10 and use Defender.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:32 AM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

As a systems/ electrical engineer who works with classified systems ... oh my.
It just doesn't make sense to give them passkeys to my system.
I wouldn't buy a nexus 6 becuase it is built by huawei for the same reasoning.

when you dip into the dark world of hackers, and by dip I mean skimming the surface, it is a truly scary place.
I am by no means a xenophobe but our national security is facing a clear and present danger.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:51 AM

I am by no means a xenophobe but our national security is facing a clear and present danger.
Well since we have seen first hand (the hacking, not necessarily using Kaspersky or Lenovo in particular), we should be very concerned. Let me think about this, do I do banking on line, well that would be yes. I will be avoiding a possible backdoor issue. Warning: I am not a xenophobe either, maybe just a little nervous.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:56 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Kaspersky security software is produced in Russia. They are known to be very buddy buddy with the KGB.
OK in light the recent meddling in our elections, why would anyone open the computers to this program?

Kaspersky is whining about access to windows 10.
Kaspersky accuses Microsoft of anticompetitive bundling of antivirus software Ars Technica

maybe microsoft should build a US version and an export version.

Hmmm. So don't let anyone in that has ties to someone who is our enemy. Hmmm.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:01 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Kaspersky security software is produced in Russia. They are known to be very buddy buddy with the KGB.
OK in light the recent meddling in our elections, why would anyone open the computers to this program?

Kaspersky is whining about access to windows 10.
Kaspersky accuses Microsoft of anticompetitive bundling of antivirus software Ars Technica

maybe microsoft should build a US version and an export version.
Because it's one of the most effective personal anti-virus programs out there. At the surface, I am not sure how Windows Defender is causing an issue; it is easy enough to disable in Windows 10 with a registry fix. From what is described in the article, they have legitimate grievances about how MS is implementing Defender in the OS. This will do the same to a multitude of third party AV suites and though there may be workarounds, they likely involve separate user action instead of it being something automated in the installation process. At this point, I would assume any of them have the potential to generate a back-door into your system. Personally, I do not use AV software anymore as they have all become far too intrusive. I just regularly monitor system performance, running processes, and network usage.

Originally Posted by Morris
On the subject of computers, I use Mozilla and have for years. It has a popup blocker which works about as good as an umbrella in a hurricane. Now I have ads taking up about 20% of my screen at the top of my home page. This is MY computer, I gave no one permission to place ads on it, particularly huge ones that interfere with my reading. Does anyone know of a software that works with Mozilla that will stop this crap in it's tracks? I'm really getting sick of it (can't you tell?) and it seems to be getting worse.
Adblock Plus is now selling "acceptable advertising" as a pass through their service: http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/13/12...-now-sells-ads If the ads you are running into are literally taking up 20% of your screen, that falls outside their definition of acceptable and likely means you need to expand your filter subscriptions on Adblock Plus.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:36 AM

For those non-believers here. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/us...rity.html?_r=0
It appears to be well underway
Please remember backdoors can beat even the best Anti-Virus, a backdoor to my PC would make me very vulnerable.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:48 PM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

just a little update
Russian security software is raising eyebrows among US officials - Business Insider
Old 05-12-2017, 12:08 PM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Why run Kaspersky? Because a full subscription is included with a BestBuy service agreement. So it is on my laptop. Will never reside on my desktop, though. May not be on my laptop much longer either if I can trace certain performance issues to it.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

My Norton subscription was expiring, I told the boss I preferred to stick with it vs switching to Kaspersky. Back in the day I would just have handed over the credit card info to Norton, now I have to "run it by" someone. He agreed, but I don't think he was thrilled....I informed him that the company I use for bookkeeping support, and sometimes computer tech support does not support Kaspersky, but supports Norton. He's of the opinion, that Kaspersky is better. Maybe in some ways, but I also wasn't in the mood to switch things around in the office PC. Let the next bookkeeper switch to Kaspersky. Wish I knew when she was starting.......

Quick Reply: Why would anyone use Kaspersky?