S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Why You Have To Buy A Honda

Old 05-26-2017, 05:44 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default Why You Have To Buy A Honda

This isn't about the car. We already know how good they are. This is about a lawn mower, but it's also about quality and reliability and value.

Back in 1987 Liz and I bought a weekend house in Woodstock, NY. It was on three acres of mostly wooded land in the Bearsville section. There was about 3/4 of an acre of cleared land which had to be mowed. We went to the local Honda store and bought a Honda lawn mower. Nothing fancy, not self propelled but it had a rear bagger and a pull start. For the first few years it was fun mowing the lawn, but after a while it became a bit of a chore so we bought a garden tractor and the Honda mower came out less and less but still it got used almost every week to do the trim.

By 1994 we moved from New York City to New Jersey and sold the house in Woodstock. Now we had about an acre to mow, but we had the garden tractor and a weedwacker. The Honda still came out of the shed, but not nearly so often. About 10 years ago we hired a landscaper to mow. The garden tractor only came out in the fall to pull the sweeper for the leaves, and the Honda almost never came out. About 5 years ago Adam and I took it out, put a little gas in it and ran it until it was empty. And that's how it saw for the last 5 years, gas tank empty in the corner of our shed.

This spring we decided to fertilize and over seed the lawn. We told the landscaper not to start mowing until June so that the seed would have a chance to germinate. Because we got so much rain, the grass grew out of control and had to be mowed. A simple job for the garden tractor but the trim and the edges looked horrible. Out of the shed, for the first time in 5 years, came the 30 year old Honda mower. After I hosed it off, it looked almost like new. It has an aluminum mowing deck so rust wasn't a problem. But would it start? I figured that I'd have to pull the starter cord a number of time just to get it primed to turn over. Nonetheless, I put gas into it, put the choke on and gave a pull. Much to my surprise, the mower started up on the very first pull. I couldn't believe it. A 30 year old lawn mower, sitting emply for 5 years started up on the first try.

If I wasn't convinced before, and I was, I am now. Honda makes the best small engines. They are quality, reliable and a very good value. That's why you have to buy a Honda.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:07 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Rob, I can certainly believe it.
I went through three Seadoo jetskis before I got tired of the maintenance costs and bought a Honda R-12X Turbo. All I have done is change the oil every other year. It's a 2007 with over 100 hours and I am still using the original battery!
Old 05-27-2017, 08:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 17 year old Honda mower when I had to get the job done at night.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:50 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

2 Honda in the garage,1 Honda lawnmower,1 Honda weedwacker,and a Sears lawn tractor...now looking for a healty F-20,to swap into the tractor...

Last edited by Emil St-Hilaire; 05-27-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

I had a Honda mower for over 12 years until we moved into a town home with no grass. We moved to the beach after 10 years. I have a 12 year old Toro now and it runs great. I use a Worx weed whacker and blower. Both are good mowers.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

I have a little Honda weed wacker that replaced several "big box" brands. Year after year, despite winter storage, it will start right up and runs like a champ!
Old 05-27-2017, 01:54 PM

Received 1,412 Likes on 766 Posts

My Honda lawnmower is going on 13 years. First pull, every spring, starts right up!
I also have a Stihl backpack leaf blower and string trimmer. They, too, never fail me.
My 18 year old MTD snowblower, my 10 year old Craftsman power washer and 15 year old leaf vacuum also work well, though they require several pulls to get them started after they have sat unused.
The key is good maintenance, drain the fuel and replace the oil each year, and they won't let you down. Also, use a gasoline additive every time you buy gas to minimize the effect of ethanol on the fuel systems.

Last edited by jukngene; 05-27-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
The key is good maintenance, drain the fuel and replace the oil each year, and they won't let you down.
I agree. That is as important as the Brand...... if not more.

24-yr old John Deere rider
21-yr old Toro walk mower
16-yr old Honda 5HP leaf blower
13-yr old Troy weed trimmer
12-yr old Honda snow blower
11-yr old Honda boat motor
8-yr old Stihl hand blower
3-yr old Stihl chain saw
Old 05-28-2017, 07:50 AM

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had my Honda lawnmower, with the articulating front wheels for 15 years. Replaced the wheels 3 or 4 times, t he transmission gave out last year, replaced it and it still runs great. Change the spark plug, air filter every spring, drain the oil, and have the blades sharpened. Also have a Honda edger. It's a 4 stroke, just prime, set the run switch and pull the cord and off you go. This thing spins at 10K rpm, so it doesn't stop for anything. I also have a pressure washer with a Honda engine, starts every time first pull. Great product.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:36 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
The key is good maintenance, drain the fuel and replace the oil each year, and they won't let you down. Also, use a gasoline additive every time you buy gas to minimize the effect of ethanol on the fuel systems.
That's what makes it so amazing. In the 30 years that I've owned the lawn mower, I never gave it much maintenance. I changed the oil every few years, changed the sparkplug once about 15 years ago and had the blades sharpened once about 15 years ago. That's all the maintenance I ever gave it. And still, it starts on the first pull.

I have a Honda snowblower (track drive) and a Honda generator. Both always start the first time.

Last edited by ralper; 05-28-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Why You Have To Buy A Honda