S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Winter Olympics

Old 02-12-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 1,402 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
Without conventional TV (no cable, no satellite, no standing antenna), I have no investment in seeing anything Olympic-related. That said, I was at my folks, and watched the biathlon and luge yesterday. The thing that'd make the biathlon even better is putting a heart rate monitor on the athletes and transmitting their heart rates (at least to the TV audience). The luge results were awesome mostly because of the US surprise, but I was rather annoyed that they didn't take the time out to analyze some of the better runs in more detail; it was more of a case of "hey, watch these folks go fast and we're not gonna tell you why. . . you're getting in the way of the ice skating which is ratings gold."

I wish they'd just get this stuff on pay-as-you-go or one-channel-per-sport, so if you want to watch ALL the curling, or ALL the ice dancing, or ALL the long-track speed skating, you can. We have the technology
Old 02-12-2018, 07:08 PM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

With a couple clicks I was able to set up DirecTV to record all the Olympic events on every NBC channel that is carrying them. CNBC, MSNBC, and some others, as well as NBC network itself. So I have recorded hours and watched most of it. Lots of duplication which I skip through. I'm a sports junkie who can't get enough of the stories and the performances of people who are the best in the world at something, whether that something is down hill skiing or curling. That's right, I have become a bit of a curling fan. (Emil, this is a sport in which Canada DOMINATES, more so even than hockey.) Like Bill, I could do without some of the commentary. Great in obscure sports where it helps me understand the event. But really intrusive when I am trying to enjoy the artistry of, say, pairs figure skating which already has a fine soundtrack.

So, yeah, I like the Olympics, winter and summer. Can't wait for the 10,000 meter race walking in 2018.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:58 PM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

I wish they'd just get this stuff on pay-as-you-go or one-channel-per-sport, so if you want to watch ALL the curling, or ALL the ice dancing, or ALL the long-track speed skating, you can. We have the technology.
It's called Comcast. They have options to watch select events, without paying anything special. You just have to dig into their guide to find them but they are there.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
It's called Comcast.
Seeing as they own NBC, they have been quite good about having as much coverage as is possible (revenue stream). I have all coverage at home, and I use the NBCSports app on my Roku for watching at the beach.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:13 PM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

It's called Comcast. They have options to watch select events, without paying anything special. You just have to dig into their guide to find them but they are there.
1. Based on my sampling of one (at my folks' place), I got summary coverage on each of the channels, not wall-to-wall per-event coverage.
2. I'm not switching ISPs nor getting cable just for the Olympics. I have no qualms watching it legally, with advertisements, and even remitting payment. However, I'm not so Olympic-needy to sign up for 1-2 years of a new ISP (and the related malarky that will arrive with it).
Old 02-13-2018, 02:31 PM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

1. Based on my sampling of one (at my folks' place), I got summary coverage on each of the channels, not wall-to-wall per-event coverage.
2. I'm not switching ISPs nor getting cable just for the Olympics. I have no qualms watching it legally, with advertisements, and even remitting payment. However, I'm not so Olympic-needy to sign up for 1-2 years of a new ISP (and the related malarky that will arrive with it).
I think they projected they would be broadcasting 2,400 hours of the games! I just wanted to see an hour or two where they used up the 110,000 condoms that were passed out! Guess someone's scoring besides the the top three.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:41 PM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

I think they projected they would be broadcasting 2,400 hours of the games!
Let it be known, again with a small sample size, that I don't know whether my folks get Comcast Double Secret Tier Sports Channel. So, if they had 2400 hours of broadcasting, I was only privy to ~12 hours of it while at Ma&Pa_Trunkie's for 6 hours.
I just wanted to see an hour or two where they used up the 110,000 condoms that were passed out! Guess someone's scoring besides the the top three.
I will say I could have sworn I caught Mr. Mazdzer eyeballing a German team supporter after he got his medal. That said, the Olympic sex is quite real: this guy is proof.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:09 AM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts

OK so having been watching Olympics but a headline caught my eye. "Russian Curler sent home for doping"

Doping??? Curling Really?
I have a coworker who is into curling so I am aware of the concept but doping?
how does that help at all?
Old 02-20-2018, 05:11 AM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
OK so having been watching Olympics but a headline caught my eye. "Russian Curler sent home for doping"

Doping??? Curling Really?
I have a coworker who is into curling so I am aware of the concept but doping?
how does that help at all?
Watching curling is more boring than watching paint dry. Surprise that a Russian was cheating.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:49 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
Watching curling is more boring than watching paint dry. Surprise that a Russian was cheating.
I don't know, I think it's more interesting than watching golf

Quick Reply: Winter Olympics