S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Won $1 million!

Old 01-06-2007, 10:01 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts
Default Won $1 million!

Don't I wish. No, it wasn't me . . . but it was someone I know. My grandson's hockey coach just won $1 million in the State lottery two days ago. What's really weird is there was five $1 million winners in this special one time drawing and two of the five are from my small home town! The other winner is keeping their name hidden (that's what I'd do).

Since my grandson had a game this AM I did get to see him but I didn't bring it up. He had already said in the paper that he's hearing from people he hadn't heard from in years. BTW, my grandson, who's team captain, scored a goal. The game before last he had a Hat Trick with three goals.

Do you know anyone who's won a lot of $ ?
Old 01-06-2007, 11:40 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

A family in our neighborhood won 7.1 Mil in MA lottery several years ago. Our son hung around with their son. Nice family.

They still live in our neighborhood. I think he can afford better.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know the kid but I went to school with his mother. On his 18th birthday, he could buy his first lotto ticket. He did and won $3 million.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:01 PM

This is a stretch but, a coworker went on a cruise and met a couple that won 25 million in a midwest lottery. They were close to retirement age, so were just having fun. They had been cruising for about 4 months and were planning some guided land trips soon.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:17 AM

Received 3,499 Likes on 2,366 Posts

had a nearby neighbor who popped it for 85 mil.
other than the new car and painting their house, you can't tell a thing is different.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:07 AM

I have a nephew by marriage who bought one ticket when he was about 27 as a lark, he had never played before. He won 11 million. Took the 30 year payout and was getting a $282,000 check each Jan until his divorce, now he gets $141,000. He was in school at the time so he dropped out and has done nothing that I know of since. Probably not the best idea. I think his wife went on to finish her degree and is working as a teacher in the Atlanta area.

dvh
Old 01-07-2007, 07:47 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

I do not know anyone that has won a lottery that I know of.

That brings up the subject of how to win a lottery. Most people just claim the prize and there are lots of stories about people regretting that they ever one a lottery.

If one should win the first thing that one should do is not tell anyone.

Then:

Contact your financial advisor if you have one (or get a trusted one)
Have them contact a tax attorney.
Set up a "Blind Trust Fund"
Then have the Blind Trust Fund claim the prize (that way one can remain anonymous)

This way, one can avoid having every charity, relative, investment advisor, con person, etc calling you to try to tap into your new found wealth.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:14 PM

When I win the lottery, I will no longer answer the phone. I will have My People do it.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA,Jan 7 2007, 11:47 PM
I do not know anyone that has won a lottery that I know of.

That brings up the subject of how to win a lottery. Most people just claim the prize and there are lots of stories about people regretting that they ever one a lottery.

If one should win the first thing that one should do is not tell anyone.

Then:

Contact your financial advisor if you have one (or get a trusted one)
Have them contact a tax attorney.
Set up a "Blind Trust Fund"
Then have the Blind Trust Fund claim the prize (that way one can remain anonymous)

This way, one can avoid having every charity, relative, investment advisor, con person, etc calling you to try to tap into your new found wealth.
I think some financial guru also mentioned not doing a darn thing with the money for a few months.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:51 AM

If you calculate it out mathematically, using significant figures, you will find that the chances of winning the lottery do not change whether you buy a ticket or not.

Quick Reply: Won $1 million!