S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

World Cup

Old 06-26-2014, 11:21 AM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts

We did win, under the rules of the event, we finished 2nd in our group and moved on.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
I like to win rather than relying on defaults.
Lol are you new to soccer?
Old 06-26-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
Yep , I ’m somewhat new to Soccer. Generally, I’m not much of a spectator sport type of individual – I’ve always been more of a participant, but I’ve taken a recent spectator’s liking to Soccer (football). Why did you ask? Are my opinions foolhardy?

I don’t know…really.

gary
Old 06-26-2014, 12:28 PM

Received 974 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal' timestamp='1403812169' post='23219607
Yep , I ’m somewhat new to Soccer. Generally, I’m not much of a spectator sport type of individual – I’ve always been more of a participant, but I’ve taken a recent spectator’s liking to Soccer (football). Why did you ask? Are my opinions foolhardy?

I don’t know…really.

gary
No such thing. How do you expect to learn without making a mistake now and then. After a while, your appreciation for all the amazing things that are going on all over the pitch will increase a hundredfold. Keep asking questions and ignore people who give you a hard time. It's great to see the interest in futbol increasing in the US.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:28 PM

Received 4,958 Likes on 3,005 Posts

We just sat down to watch the tape - instead of the US, I taped the Portugal game. Oh well, hope we all do better next week - me and the team!
Old 06-26-2014, 01:09 PM

I don’t know…really.

gary
Well it's not by default. The goal difference is a completely valid and fair way of determining if one team is stronger than another over the course of a season / league when they are tied on points. It is a way of playing strategically. For example, if you go out to win and score lots of goals, you have more chance of progressing, so the goal difference reflects this. It comes into play not from just one game, but from all of them. We went through because we were stronger in other games, which is a positive. (Well, US is my country of citizenship now so I can say we)
Old 06-26-2014, 06:45 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I don’t know…really.

gary
Not foolhardy at all. They were outplayed to such a level that they looked like they didn't belong on the field with Germany. This is the second game where they were outplayed. They were lucky to win the first one against a team that is now eliminated.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:11 PM

They weren't out played too much at all. They went out for a draw which was obvious and it's basically what they achieved. No injuries and no suspensions, sit back and relax, don't concede too much. If we had to win it would have been different.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:55 PM

Received 4,958 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Originally Posted by skunkworks' timestamp='1403813306' post='23219632
[quote name='arsenal' timestamp='1403812169' post='23219607']

I don’t know…really.

gary
Not foolhardy at all. They were outplayed to such a level that they looked like they didn't belong on the field with Germany. This is the second game where they were outplayed. They were lucky to win the first one against a team that is now eliminated.
[/quote]

So you did watch more than 4 minutes.... it had to be easy. I didn't see any of it but it had to be better than watching baseball. The world's most boring sport. Although I did enjoy tonight's game a little (10 year old grandson's team won tonight and goes on to play for the championship next Tuesday). Still, give me hockey!!!
Old 06-26-2014, 10:42 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Must have been watching a different game than I was. Germany wasn't playing at a level where I would say they were outplaying the US. Both sides were trading back and forth for a good portion of the match and the US came close to tying the game up at the end. The US team wasn't supposed to escape the "Group of Death", but we did and I think our next challenge will be Argentina, as I see our team coming out on top of Belgium.

Quick Reply: World Cup