S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Are you ever a parking space scofflaw?

Old 08-14-2014, 04:42 PM

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Rob, who issued the ticket?

I was once told by a police officer that even stop signs in commercial parking lots do not fall under the same rules as those on public roads.

I know someone who parked in a closed restaurant parking lot. There was a sign that parking was for patrons only with a warning of towing.

His car was towed away. Guess it didn't matter there were no patrons at that time of day/night.

Private property.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:57 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Rob, who issued the ticket?

I was once told by a police officer that even stop signs in commercial parking lots do not fall under the same rules as those on public roads.

I know someone who parked in a closed restaurant parking lot. There was a sign that parking was for patrons only with a warning of towing.

His car was towed away. Guess it didn't matter there were no patrons at that time of day/night.

Private property.
Lainey,

The ticket was issued by the Township of Roxbury (one of the 5 townships that make up Ledgewood, the town next to mine). I've never been able to figure out why, but for some reason the town has jurisdiction over this shopping center's parking lot.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:05 PM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

I have a lengthy post in the "keeping parents at home" thread about my adventures in the parking lot of my mother's apartment building yesterday.

I committed a cardinal sin of parking in a "R" spot (resident but not assigned to any apartment) vs a "V" (visitor spot) I knew where I parked and I justified it by it being the middle of the day, it was raining and I was rushing around on lunch to tend to Mom. Still I know I was wrong. Anyway, it cost me $75.00 to get the tow truck driver to leave my car. He did not accept a credit card and had I not had the cash, I would have been out $130-150.00 depending on what equipment he had used, when I located my car.

I am generally a rule follower. I do not park in handicapped spaces, I do not leave my car in a fire lane.

Anyway, I called the main office of the property mgt today. I told the woman what happened, told her I KNEW I was wrong, apologized for losing my cool with their local employee, and asked if they are now towing, why there were not signs? I explained that I was just running in to take care of something for my 92 year old Mom, even though I know that does not make it right. She was kind, told me we all lose our cool, asked how old my Mom is, and said she would have someone get back to me.

I figure the $75.00 is history, but am of the opinion there should be some signage in the parking lot warning of cars being towed. Had a seen a sign, which would have been new, maybe, I would not have been such a rule breaker. New residents are always moving in, they may have visitors that inadvertently park in and R vs a V spot, and will come out to find their cars gone. A little signage could go a long way.

Yes? No? Do I need another rum drink?

So do any of you ever break parking lot rules? Come clean! Try not to judge me, I know a "few" of you break a few speed limit rules.
I would have bitchslapped her/him ... and then given her my attorneys
number!
Old 08-14-2014, 05:24 PM

Received 2,990 Likes on 1,663 Posts

The first time Jerry (SpokesMan) and I ever hung out together (July 2007), he had his red S and he parked it in a Laguna Beach shopping center. We got out and walked across Pacific Coast Highway to the Montage Resort, and hung out on the beach for a few hours. When we came back, the car was gone. It was towed right away since we didn't go into a store before leaving to cross the street. We walked a couple miles to the tow truck company, he paid around $200, and then the tow truck driver took us to his car. Jerry had parked there before but the towing was a new thing. He didn't notice the new signs informing drivers of that.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:29 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

The only traffic related signs I ignore are speed limits and yellow lights. Does that make me bad?
Old 08-14-2014, 05:35 PM

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
The only traffic related signs I ignore are speed limits and yellow lights. Does that make me bad?
No, just a scofflaw like me. Keep bail money in your pocket, along with a business card with a lawyer's phone number. I'll get you some names if you need them.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlq04
The only time I can think of is 'waiting in the car' in a no parking area while +1 runs in to buy something. So the moral of your story is 'carry cash' if you are going to break the law.
Several decades ago, I was walking through a parking lot at THE Ohio State University. There was an Asian woman obviously waiting on someone, parked in a "Handicapped" spot. A car pulled up, someone got out and apparently told her that she should move. She pulled out; they then parked in the Handicapped space, and four healthy guys in suits got out and headed to a nearby building.

I called Campus Security and ratted them out. I felt good about it, too.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:50 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

In the parking structure at my apartment complex, I have one tandem length parking space. This means occasional car jockeying to get the "trapped" car out, on occasion. When I do that, I briefly put my other car in someone else's space, if one happens to be open. But when I'm doing that I'm always right there in the structure and it's not a problem even if the other tenant comes home since I'm right there.

I knowingly parked one of my cars illegally once. I had to pee in the worst way. Anyone familiar with LA traffic and the Sepulveda pass (particularly while it was under construction recently) can understand what I was going through. No shoulder to pull off on, and even if there was one, there would be NO privacy at all, not even a bush. And you simply can not stop in traffic even though the traffic is barely creeping along. And there are no exits to speak of there. And the one exit (which I took -- Sepulveda Blvd) ended up worse than the freeway! I was bouncing in my seat, I was hurting, I was dying. It was awful. I kept praying for a gas station, a 7-11, a nail salon, ANYTHING publicly accessible. There was nothing until I got near a ball field. I saw little girls in uniforms playing t-ball. I knew this meant there had to be a bathroom there so I parked the Miata all the way at the end of the lot so as to not block anyone in (there were no spaces, of course!) and then ran like hell for the bathroom, all the while on full clench mode. At that moment in time, I did not care if they gave me a $100 parking ticket. If I hadn't found that bathroom, I would have ruined a driver's seat for sure.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:51 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
No, those aren't the things that make you bad, Bill.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Do I need another rum drink?
Yes.

Quick Reply: Are you ever a parking space scofflaw?