S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Are you happy with your doc's medical practice
Nope, it's nothing but a PIA
16.00%
No, but it's the only game in town, but I like him/herso I deal with it....
0%
Most times, onlyminor aggravations
32.00%
Yes, they are wonderful
28.00%
Yes, not a big deal
12.00%
Yet another nosy question
0%
Stop your whining
12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Are you happy with your doc's medical practice?

Old 03-13-2009, 06:18 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts
Thumbs up Are you happy with your doc's medical practice?

So, are you happy with your doctor's medical practice? We've discussed this before, but as I continue to deal with the medical practice my primary works with/for, I'm doing a lot of Is it the same for you?

My shoulder issue continues. It's been four months. I called the practice ortho to let him know I'm uncomfortable again, and again it's a two week wait to see him. "Oh, and we don't prescribe pain meds unless it's surgical" says the receptionist...but it's two weeks until I see him! So what am I supposed to do if it gets worse?

Edit: I've had enough of my medical practice and want to see the Boston doc who operated on Rick. I want another opinion and IF I need surgery, he's the one I want. He is in my provider network, but he is not part of the "chosen ones" by my primary medical practice....

Long story short, if you want to see a doctor who is in your insurance network and if that doc is not part of the medical practice's contracted "let's make a deal people" you have to beg, plead and jump through the hoops to get the referral.

It's tiring and I'm thinking of switching to a family practice, not affiliated with any monolopy, which is about twice the distance from my house as the usual guy. It may be worth the drive for some peace of mind.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:26 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If you have to go to a ER room, or an urgent care center. Explain your situation, they should give you something to help.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:50 AM

Received 3,513 Likes on 2,377 Posts

Lainey, you know where i stand on this.
You need to go to A-hole school.
Simply state your expectations and be clear that they are not meeting your needs.

ask the receptionist where she got her medical degree when she gives you crap.
When she responds she doesn't have one say perhaps then I need to speak with the doctor since I believe he does have one.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:57 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

^ lol, or that.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Filthy Beast,Mar 13 2009, 10:26 AM
If you have to go to a ER room, or an urgent care center. Explain your situation, they should give you something to help.
I know I can do that, my point is I should NOT have to do that. My primary could call something in too.

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Lainey, you know where i stand on this.
You need to go to A-hole school.
Simply state your expectations and be clear that they are not meeting your needs.
Jerry, I'm more aggravated with their whole way of doing business. The issue seems to be Tufts HMO vs a Blue Cross HMO. For whatever reason, likely the way they pay their doctors, Tufts must hold the purse strings differently. Our primary medical practice has their own network outside of their own practice that they utilize, and they don't want to let people go elsewhere. I'm SURE it's about the money. My primary would probably approve my request to see a Boston doc but he can be overridden by the medical director/bean counter.

I probably won't hear anything until Monday. It's taking all I have to not to make an impulsive decisions to tell them to shove their medical practice up their ____.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:20 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

I was going to answer "Stop your Whining, you live in MA, what do you expect?" but I thought that wouldn't be constructive.

My doctor and his office are wonderful. I or Virginija usually get appointments the same day, as long as we call in right at 9am. They've gone out of their way multiple times to call in prescriptions directly to the pharmacy to get them faster (in a recent case, he wanted my treatment to start within the hour, so he called in to get me put at the front of the line getting the prescription filled). Once, when recommended medication was one of the more expensive ones, the nurse got me enough samples to cover the prescription.

Everyone (except maybe the receptionist, who can be a little surly) seems to be there because they love their work. They find ways to do what needs to be done while keeping your costs down. I can't say enough good about them.

I suspect it helps that NE Ohio has several of the best hospitals in the country, most of them major research and teaching hospitals. Whether it's the competition. or just the high concentration of professionals in the area, we get good care.

I'm starting to think more like a Vintager - maybe I need to stay here in retirement. Health care is the best around, it seems.

Sorry about your situation, Lainey. I really don't have any advice, since I've never had any bad medical experiences, and that includes Anika's birth, 2 knee surgeries, physio on both knees and my back, etc...

JonasM
Old 03-13-2009, 07:39 AM

Thanks, Jonas.

I've come up with a plan B. If my referral is denied, I have made an appointment with a small practice (family medicine) for 3/23, I will switch and make them my primary doc. They have no problems with referrals (my employer goes to them) The timing should allow me to keep the appointment in Boston 3/31, with a new referral.

If my current practice allows the referral, I'll see what the Boston doc has to say and make the switch after.

I look at it this way. I'm Vintage. I can reasonably expect other things to crop up in the next several years. I don't want to jump through hoops anymore. I'm too damn tired.

Pass a Xanax please.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:44 AM

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,526 Posts

We are located in an area with what I would consider to be the best medical care profestionals and facilities.

I was lucky to have this level of care when my late wife needed it. We were at a doctors office or other facility at least every other week.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are really happy with our primary care, like Jonas same day appts. and have never had a problem. It may help that my nephew is one of the doctors in the office
Old 03-13-2009, 07:49 AM

Boston is an hour away. Lots of procedures that are done in Boston are now done in our area too. A hospital 20 minutes away has a great reputation for heart care as they work in conjunction with the Boston hospitals.

The health care is out there, it's available, but the practices are narrowing down our choices depending on how they are getting paid. Other groups in the Boston area do the same thing, I've been told. I have insurance, I'm not on Mass Health, Medicare or Medicaid. They make me feel like my insurance is no better than welfare. I've been told "it's due to your insurance" that they may deny this. That tells me it's more about the way the doctors are paid to keep me "in house."

Quick Reply: Are you happy with your doc's medical practice?