S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

You know you're retired when...

Old 04-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There’s no driving during rush hour because you don’t have to. And you're no longer worry about starting a sentence with a conjunction or ending a sentence with a preposition because you no longer care…things are just easier now.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:38 PM

Received 2,984 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
There’s no driving during rush hour because you don’t have to. And you're no longer worry about starting a sentence with a conjunction or ending a sentence with a preposition because you no longer care…things are just easier now.
That is so true. No weekend crowds for places that you can go to during the week, either.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sending off all my ties, slacks, and dress shirts to Goodwill. Nothing but jeans, sandals, and my ratty Oxford cloth button downs for me. And lots of tattoos, of course.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to admit... I hated being retired. Now back at work with a whole new set of reasons to hurry, worry and gripe. Life is better than it has ever been in a lot of ways.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those of us who work(ed) to live will never be able to understand those who live to work.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:33 PM

Received 2,984 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I have recently been training a new retirey for the volunteer job I do. She told me that the worst thing she ever did was to retire! I really like her and think she'll be great in the surgery waiting room when she feels comfortable but I never thought I'd hear that statement from a woman. She was one of the fortunate ones who found her ideal match early in life and now that she's a widow she is filling time. She is volunteering 5 days a week.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:05 AM

Received 2,593 Likes on 1,569 Posts

The +1's mother is the same. She's in her 80s - his dad died last year and she goes crazy in the house. So she volunteers at the school about three hours a day. She used to work years ago, but his dad being a typical Italian male (for that generation) would not let her work. Now she can.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:54 PM

Received 4,946 Likes on 3,000 Posts

Retirement is not for everyone. I believe you need to develop hobbies while you are working that will carry over into retirement to really enjoy it. I've been retired 13 years now and still enjoy it as much as ever. Spent the past couple days playing with cars and car lovers. Today was yard work and spending time with my son while we tried to get an off road bike running for the grandkids. Etc.....

Friday a retired buddy and I are going to an annual event of beer, pool, poker, and BS (this is a long running tradition when Companies used to give employees the afternoon off for Good Friday. They don't still do that, do they?
Old 04-13-2014, 05:26 PM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Retirement is not for everyone. I believe you need to develop hobbies while you are working that will carry over into retirement to really enjoy it. I've been retired 13 years now and still enjoy it as much as ever. Spent the past couple days playing with cars and car lovers. Today was yard work and spending time with my son while we tried to get an off road bike running for the grandkids. Etc.....

Friday a retired buddy and I are going to an annual event of beer, pool, poker, and BS (this is a long running tradition when Companies used to give employees the afternoon off for Good Friday. They don't still do that, do they?
Never in my world!!

I know some folks don't care to retire, some are sorry they have and go back to work (male and female) some decide to just cut back to part time. Different strokes.

I agree with Dave one needs hobbies, and some folks just need a schedule.

I'm anxious to find out which one I will be.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:12 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

One's wife "hounds" one to go out and get the mail in from the mail box at the end of one's driveway at 3:00 P.M., and one is reluctant because one is still in one's PJ's. That one put on to enjoy a cup of flavored coffee from their K cup machine in one's Lazy Boy a half an hour before.

Quick Reply: You know you're retired when...