S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How many other S2000's do you see around where you live?

Old 08-15-2014, 09:47 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts
Default How many other S2000's do you see around where you live?

We live in the Metropolitan Washington DC area, Northern Virginia to be more exact. About twenty-five miles west of the White House and twelve miles outside of the Washington Beltway (I-495). Fairfax County is one of the more affluent counties in the U.S. with a high concentration of highly educated people. When I was working it was not unusual for me to see one or two S2000's during my 12.5 Mile commute each way.

However, back in 2011 on my 5150 mile road trip to S2K Days in Keystone (Mount Rushmore) SD and my subsequent lap of Colorado before I returned home from that meet I saw only two S's on my entire trip. One in Colorado Springs and one out side of St. Louis, MO.

On my most recent 7100 mile road trip to S2K Days in Hood River, Oregon I did NOT see another S in seventeen days of driving, except for the one that I saw on day one going east on I-66 about twelve miles west of my house (just west of Manassass, VA.) Past that, I did not see another S, except for the one's at the meet.

With that stated: I did have a couple of interesting (fun) exchanges with some folks along the way including our organized drive to Mount Hood with my drive group when a guy driving a "Mommy Van" rolled his window down as I was the second car in line as we passed him and yelled "what kind of car is that?". When I yelled back that it was a Honda he had a really puzzled look on his face.

I also had other encounters at both Yellowstone, and Craters of the Moon National Parks with the Park Rangers at the entrance that where puzzled when I told them it was a Honda. I stopped for a late lunch at a family owned restaurant in North Platte, Nebraska, and while I was getting out of my car on the side of the restaurant (in the door ding free zone) a young man got out of a car on his way into the side door of the restaurant. As he passed, he commented: "I like your car". I thanked him and went into the restaurant and sat down. I few minutes later one of the servers (possibly his Mother) went over to that side of the restaurant and looked out of the window. As she returned to the servers area I heard her say "I like it, it looks like fun". Over the course of the next few minutes several other employees, about seven in all either looked out of the window or went out side. When I was paying my bill to leave the female cashier asked: "Is that your car outside?" I responded in a non-committal way: "Which car are you referring too"? She responded: "That cute little blue one". and went on to ask what it was. Needless to state: They had apparently never seen one before. She was partially in dis-belief when I told her that my S2000 was a Honda after she asked who makes an S2000 after my initial response.

So, with all of that stated and out of the way, How often do you see other S2000's around where you live? Is it common?

I already know that answer from Ms Perky (so she need not reply).
Old 08-15-2014, 09:54 PM

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Some days here in Orange County of southern California, I'll see three within my 15 miles of driving and other days I'll not see any. They are definitely around.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:19 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

I've only seen a couple all summer, so I'd say they are rare around here. (Northern NY & Vt)
Levi
Old 08-16-2014, 03:15 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I know you guys are out there but I've not seen another S2000 anywhere here in Ohio since I picked mine up last month. Saw Tom's in his garage in Dublin (Columbus) -- nice choice of color -- but not another one.

I'll be headed from Cleveland to Columbus (and back) today. Honk if you see me! My top will be down.

-- Chuck
Old 08-16-2014, 03:42 AM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

There are quite a few around Toronto but sightings are infrequent . Usually see one or two every week. On our recent trip to the other Portland (1946 miles) we saw two both in Quebec When the battery died and I went to the dealer a couple of the sales people had never seen one

As for North Platte Gene and I both stayed at the same hotel on our way to S2KCA days in Colorado So they are not totally alien there

I also get the what is it and on our trip to Portland a very outgoing 20 something female approached me in the parking lot of a restaurant wanting to know everything about the car and whether she could buy a new one.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:08 AM

Received 3,792 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Generally when I do spot one around here it is from out of state. I live in a resort town so most of the homes around here are second homes so I see mostly suv's and Audi's and porsches. I get the same response that Matt did out west most people don't know what my car is local people around here refer to it as "my fancy little red car."
Old 08-16-2014, 10:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are very few sports cars where I live and even fewer S2000s. Aside from a cars and coffee showing or a planned drive I might see one every fifth week. Most of the vehicles are SUVs or AWDs.

gary

Old 08-16-2014, 12:09 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Given the weather we have here and the population density, I am not surprised to be able to say I see another S2000 *at least* once every other day. I also see some really high-end stuff on a regular basis, the likes of which would have caused whiplash in other regions where I have lived in the past.

It's a nice perc. We pay for it though.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 763 Posts

Living in lower, slower, Delaware, I rarely see another S. On the occasions that I do, I always wave and/or flick the lights. Most of the time, that gets ignored by the other driver.

As most of you know, I also own an NSX. I never see another one, unless I drive about 60 miles to the nearest cars & coffee. I suspect that there are, at most, 10 total NSX's registered in my tiny state (I know of 4 others) And, furthermore, I rarely even get asked about either car when I stop for gas. This area is pick-up heaven.

Having visited SoCal for HCII, I can confirm Patty and Roseanne's observations above.

I might add, that when I was on my way to S2K Days in Colorado, driving through Nebraska, I was surprised at how many times I received friendly waves from oncoming cars & pick-ups. It was neat meeting up with Bob & Joanne (MAGGIEMAE) in North Platte, as well.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:09 PM

Received 354 Likes on 217 Posts

Here in the Clifton Park/Saratoga area of NY there are a lot of them. I see two or three a week - sometimes more. Most of them I've never met- they are not on S2ki.

Quick Reply: How many other S2000's do you see around where you live?