S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

You never know when life is going to shit of you

Old 07-15-2017, 10:08 PM

Received 2,986 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
That is so sad to hear. This is a growning epidemic and it is only going to get worse. Cops can't be everywhere and fines are not a deterrent as most people will not stop. Automakers need to find a way to disable cell phones while driving and stop developing more distractive technology which is not going to happen.
Disabling texting would be great if the vehicle is in motion. Lots of people use the cellphone for driving directions though, such as Goggle maps or for hands free phone calls.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:43 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Ideally only the driver's cell phone would be disabled while passengers would be able to text, navigate, etc. Not sure HOW you pull that trick off, though.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:53 PM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Disabling texting would be great if the vehicle is in motion. Lots of people use the cellphone for driving directions though, such as Goggle maps or for hands free phone calls.
True, I use my vehicles Nav but I know lots of people who use their cell phone for Navigation. I also use my vehicles Bluetooth voice system for phone and other functions. Less distracting.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
True, I use my vehicles Nav but I know lots of people who use their cell phone for Navigation. I also use my vehicles Bluetooth voice system for phone and other functions. Less distracting.
My 2005 NSX and 2007 S2000 don't have Navi or bluetooth and I don't want to mess with OEM on them. My 2015 Honda Crosstour has bluetooth but I didn't go for the Navi because Honda wanted $100 every time to update the Navi on my 2011 Crosstour. Dumb. It's free and more accurate on Google maps and has up to the minute traffic avoidance, which comes in very handy in southern California.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:21 PM

Received 1,412 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
My 2005 NSX and 2007 S2000 don't have Navi or bluetooth and I don't want to mess with OEM on them. My 2015 Honda Crosstour has bluetooth but I didn't go for the Navi because Honda wanted $100 every time to update the Navi on my 2011 Crosstour. Dumb. It's free and more accurate on Google maps and has up to the minute traffic avoidance, which comes in very handy in southern California.
Same here, however I found on my trip to Texas last month that the Waze app was even better than Google Maps because it alerts you to things like traffic jams, objects on road, police ahead, etc. A friend also told me about the Glympse app, which allows you to selectively keep people you choose updated on your position, speed, etc. in real time. I found it worked fine, too. https://www.glympse.com/
Both these apps are data hogs, just so you know.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

I have to smile reading this. We were returning from a night out in Akron, OH last week. Coming back from the restaurant to the motel everyone turned at an intersection but two of us. We continued straight, turned at the next street and pulled immediately into the motel, while the others went around a large block before arriving - why? The lead car's GPS on his iPhone said that's how to get there.

In just the few days we were there, the stories of the bad directions from iPhone GPS systems had me shaking my head.

Last edited by dlq04; 07-16-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by jukngene
Same here, however I found on my trip to Texas last month that the Waze app was even better than Google Maps because it alerts you to things like traffic jams, objects on road, police ahead, etc. A friend also told me about the Glympse app, which allows you to selectively keep people you choose updated on your position, speed, etc. in real time. I found it worked fine, too. https://www.glympse.com/
Both these apps are data hogs, just so you know.
Google always routes me around traffic. On my 220 mile drive home from Kennedy Meadows it's directed me off the freeway to get around stopped traffic, saving me time while adding 10 miles. I wonder if it works better in more congested areas. I also wonder if it makes any difference if you have an I phone or Android.

I'm currently using a new OnePlus5 Android after my Nexus5x died. I loved my Nexus5x and am not very happy at all with the OnePlus5.

Last edited by Kyras; 07-16-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:58 AM

Received 3,514 Likes on 2,378 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
Ideally only the driver's cell phone would be disabled while passengers would be able to text, navigate, etc. Not sure HOW you pull that trick off, though.
I occasionally text while driving.
I simply tell google text person1 via my Bluetooth.
dictate the message and say send.

there are times when the message even resembles what i intended to say.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:25 AM

Received 2,766 Likes on 1,626 Posts

P car has nav. It's a bit outdated, but we won't pay $ to update. I always have my phone with me anyway. We did not opt for the nav in the Jeep. We still rely on the Garmin, easy to use no matter which vehicle we are in. I find it easier to use than the phone and the bigger screen is helpful too. Due to the fact that there isn't much to do as a passenger, sometimes I will enter the route on Google Maps as well and compare them.

Back on topic, Dave will your friend be up to a night out with you and the other guys?
Old 07-17-2017, 07:14 AM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Back on topic, Dave will your friend be up to a night out with you and the other guys?
To be determined. All tho we have 4 vehicles, we really only have 1 this week. Truck needs an alternator, Subie is in the shop for body work, I don't take the MG to joints we hang out , which leaves the Audi that I am hoping to sell. Since we were gone last week I have not caught up with how things are going. Thanks for asking.

Quick Reply: You never know when life is going to shit of you