S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Your Teeth, or lack thereof?

Old 02-11-2019, 12:44 PM

Received 2,985 Likes on 1,660 Posts
Default Your Teeth, or lack thereof?

On Valentine's Day I'm getting my bottom right back molar pulled, that had a botched root canal years ago, and a cadaver piece put in for a future implant, all while I'm out. It's my first tooth pull except for my four wisdom teeth in my early twenties.

How about you? Ever had implants put in after having a tooth pulled? I'm wondering about other people's experiences. I know I can just leave the hole but I'm not ready for that, yet. The cost it out of pocket since I've never had dental insurance.

Advice? Thank you, my fellow .
Old 02-11-2019, 12:47 PM

Received 920 Likes on 543 Posts

No advice for you, but I wish you well.

I still have all of my own teeth, including my 4 wisdom teeth.

I've never had a root canal either, but I do have several crowns.

I hope all goes well for you.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:00 PM

Received 2,985 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyesue
No advice for you, but I wish you well.

I still have all of my own teeth, including my 4 wisdom teeth.

I've never had a root canal either, but I do have several crowns.

I hope all goes well for you.
Very nice, Sue! My ex husband is the same. I'm glad my kids inherited his teeth.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:19 PM

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,526 Posts

I had my wisdom teeth pulled in my early 20s. The rest of my teeth are mostly amalgam (fillings).
Old 02-11-2019, 01:22 PM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

I have a bridge where I lost a molar many years ago. Now they would talk implants instead. I have plenty of other fillings, and two other crowns/caps. I have one "questionable" tooth. It has a ridge near the gum line. It doesn't bother me. IF/WHEN it changes (has not changed in 10 years) an implant would be the recommendation as the dentist doesn't feel it is a good candidate for a cap/crown.

Good luck!
Old 02-11-2019, 01:52 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Had a two wisdom teeth pulled about 10 years ago. About 7 years ago, I went to Mexico and got a full mouth done with caps for about 1/5 - 1/6 the cost for a US dentist. I need to go back and get the back teeth redone, but for the most part they have been great, just not sure now is a great time.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:03 PM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

I, too, had a botched root canal, and had that tooth extracted in the pre-implant days, I have a bridge. The extraction took place under a local, and while it was "odd" recovery is pretty quick, but I don't know about implants, Friends that have had them say it's some temporary discomfort.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:05 PM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I believe Gene is the implant expert.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:33 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
I believe Gene is the implant expert.
Well, I have 3! All required bone grafts which made the elapsed time about a year for each after the tooth was extracted. I always have them use local anesthetic, since I don’t like to be “out.” The last one was the most pain free, since the dental surgeon had both MD and DDS degrees. I am scheduled to see her Thursday for release to get the crown. All implants are results of tooth fractures.

And, of course, my dental insurance paid next to nothing!
Old 02-11-2019, 02:51 PM

Received 736 Likes on 390 Posts

I have a love/hate relationship with dentists, stemming back to childhood.

I don't know how things are in your respective countries, but here in New Zealand we used to have the dental nurse come around the schools in a trailer every 6 months to check our teeth. These were known as "murder houses", because the nurses were basically trainee dentists who would do any number of operations without anaesthetic. I think I had about 8 fillings put in that way, including in baby teeth that hadn't yet fallen out, for no good reason other than to give the nurse practice..

When I was 18 I had three wisdom teeth removed - the fourth was left in place as it hadn't yet fully erupted. I left work 45 minutes early, had a local anaesthetic administered that didn't take completely, then the dentist pulled them out with pliers, with his knee against my chest for leverage. I could feel the whole thing, and could hear my jaw cracking at one point too. I drove home in a cold sweat with a mouth full of cotton wads. I figured I could have probably had a few whiskeys and let a mate do a similar job in the garage and saved myself the money.

About 5 years ago I started suffering pain in the lower right side of my mouth. I went to my current dentist (who thankfully knows how to use anaesthetic properly) and she pulled the remaining wisdom tooth (upper right, the pain was referred), which by then had erupted into the molar in front of it. I was supposed to be in agony because it was pushing so hard it was cracking the molar but I could only classify it as a dull ache. The cracked molar had to be pulled too, so now I'm down four wisdom teeth and a molar.

I'm pretty sure I could go through dental torture in a Middle Eastern cell and barely feel a thing. God bless those dental nurses and their murder houses.

Last edited by Hertz Donut; 02-11-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Your Teeth, or lack thereof?