S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

high power water hose

Old 05-30-2003, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high power water hose

is high power water hoses good to use? i went to a local hand car wash and they used this long thin spray that hooks up to a hose to rinse down the car and it did a good job real fast. anyone know or recommend any thing similar? and where to buy it....thanks
Old 05-30-2003, 05:54 PM

Not generally. They can be damaging to the convertible seals and get water inside through the window seals.
It's in the manual. Clearly states to avoid high pressure washes, they can be damaging, especially to the convertible seals.
It's best to use your garden hose with only moderate amounts of pressure.
Cheers,
Daniel
Old 05-30-2003, 09:53 PM

I have used a pressure washer on my car for 3 years with no problems. Just don't get to close to sensitive areas and it should be fine.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:02 AM

I have concerns about high pressure. Why would you want to sandblast your car? Think about it, using high pressure on a dirty car basically beats the dirt against the surface. Why risk it? Washing the car, IMHO, is like anything else - when you rush it, you get sloppy.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:54 AM

I don't know what to think on this topic, It seems logical that the high pressure, combined with the dirt on the car, would be harmful to the finish, but yet when we wash with a bucket and a mit/towel, aren't we pushing the dirt trapped between the mit and the car around even more while applying hand pressure?

Has there ever been a serious study done on the effects of car washes and the safest way to wash a car?

The most frightening thing I can think of for my cars finish is a bunch of guys at a hand car wash, coming at my car right after washing a dirty 4X4, with dirty wash rags and drying towels, scratching the hell out of my paint.............and then your supposed to tip them........yeah right, can you say swirl party!
Old 06-02-2003, 07:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Sbeall

The most frightening thing I can think of for my cars finish is a bunch of guys at a hand car wash, coming at my car right after washing a dirty 4X4, with dirty wash rags and drying towels, scratching the hell out of my paint.............and then your supposed to tip them........yeah right, can you say swirl party!
absolutely right... and youve got right there one of the reasons not to take your car to a car wash!!
Old 06-02-2003, 09:44 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sbeall
[B]I don't know what to think on this topic,
Old 06-10-2003, 09:23 AM

I think it takes a while for most people to figure out the best way to wash a car without killing the finish. Most learn by watching others at car washes, or mom and dad and don't think twice about damage until they are told what and what not to do. I'm sure most here either found out through experience, had someone tell them or found out through a place like this.

You would think some car salesman would give the some helpful washing advice (ok, that was a joke) when selling a new car or it would be included in the manual. It's as important to know as changing the oil.

Then again, some lazy people just don't care. Paint to them is as important as the ashes and garbage they litter their cars with.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Properly used there is nothing wrong with hand held high pressure washers, in fact it can be a better washing solution than washing by hand. Indiscriminate use of any tool including a sponge can be damaging so just don't do anything stupid.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by cdelena
Indiscriminate use of any tool including a sponge can be damaging...
Well said! Even the best tools can be used improperly.

Quick Reply: high power water hose