S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Leather Care: Meguiar's vs. Lexol

Old 07-18-2017, 07:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Leather Care: Meguiars vs. Lexol

I see alot of guys on this board have used Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner and the Lexol line of leather care products for their seats with satisfactory results. However, most of the threads I have read say that you should look to find a solution that is just a cleaner, to do just that: clean the leather. And a separate solution that is formulated to condition the leather. Lexol has two separate solutions: one for cleaning, one for conditioning.
Meguiar's markets theirs as a "3 in 1" solution (cleaning, conditioning, protecting). So I'm unsure if I should follow the herd and get that or go with the two separate bottles for each intended purpose.

Any experiences you guys have with these that you can share with either or both of these products?

There is an older thread from the early 2000's where many of the members complained about the Meguiar's solution getting stuck in the perforations of the seats and turning white, and the user having to use compressed air to "blow it through". However more recently I don't see many people with that same complaint from the Meguiar's. Was that just an issue with the earlier formula?
Old 07-18-2017, 07:30 AM

Received 3,358 Likes on 2,441 Posts

I hate to sway your decision choices but I prefer products that provide UV protection, There are only a couple out there that do that, one is Pinnacle which I use, and I use the two step system. The UV protection is really important IMO. Not a fan of over the counter products though they have their benefits.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone try 303 aerospace protectant?
Old 07-24-2017, 03:50 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

In the long term I would get a dedicated leather cleaner and conditioner. 303 would be fine as a interim product till you received the leather care items. As was mentioned, Pinnacle makes an excellent product for leather, 303 is excellent for the vinyl portion of the seats/dash.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Leatherique. I've used it on cracked, dry leather to great effect. It is a two-step system. To work properly, you need to leave it on the leather for several hours in a hot environment.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bamafan
Leatherique. I've used it on cracked, dry leather to great effect. It is a two-step system. To work properly, you need to leave it on the leather for several hours in a hot environment.
Leatherique has no UV protection in it, and UV is one of the main culprits for distressed leather in cars.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read mixed review for Pinnacle on amazon, some people say they actually leave a very bad odor and damage their leather?

My seats have crease and I really want to soften up and restore it back to better condition..
Old 07-27-2017, 07:10 AM

They probably didn't clean the leather first, in which case you are putting protectant over body sweat/oils and dirt. Frankly Amazon is not a good source for detailing reviews, search on Detailers Domain, Autogeek instead.
No leather conditioner will remove a crease, if it has split open you can only minimize it's appearance.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:06 AM

Received 3,358 Likes on 2,441 Posts

Originally Posted by 8kJoy
I have read mixed review for Pinnacle on amazon, some people say they actually leave a very bad odor and damage their leather?

My seats have crease and I really want to soften up and restore it back to better condition..
You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between my 15 year old ap1 seats and brand new seats, so I can't fault pinnacle for anything, if used correctly it offers great protection. I don't push any brand of anything, but when looking for a good seat protection product look for something that has UV protection, and is petroleum distillate free. Get the seats nicely cleaned before adding the protectant , so the two-step process works best.

Our seats are coated leather - semi-annaline leather, which basically are leather covered with a vinyl pigmented top layer. It is near impossible to "feed" the leather in our seats with moisturizer type products, our seats are not like those found in Rolls Royce or Jaguar, or other high end vehicles which have natural porous leather seats that can absorb moisturizing products. For our seats you want to protect the top pigmented layer so that it does not crack, with it being vinyl based you want UV protection and distillate free such that it does not dry out. The leather in our seats will pick up a bit of moisture in areas with perforation and along the sewn seams, other than that the typical moisture feeding products won't make it to the underlying leather layer. Place a drop of water on a solid section of the lower seat cushion and see if it absorbs into the seat, I know on my ap1 seats the water will sit there for hours and will not absorb into the seat, the top pigmented vinyl coating keeps moisture from absorbing into the underlying leather.

Creases in the seats don't mean anything, that is just how the seats wear and adapt to your body shape, all seats will get creases, you just want to make sure the creases don't crack, so keep the top coat protected. I see more wear from the way people enter and exit their driver seat and the clothing they wear, which causes scratches to the top coat. Pants with large rear buttons, or metal studs, or large belts, cel phone holders etc will scratch the seat's top coat. After many years of a perfect condition passenger seat my wife scratched up my passenger seat with a pair of pants she was wearing that had some large rear buttons, as she enters the vehicle her butt rubs up against the passenger seat bolster, and one day it caused a scratch to the top coat as her pants scuffed up the seat.

Products with UV protection are Pinnacle and 303 Aerospace, I like 303 Aerospace as it offers good protection, it leaves the seat a bit slippery but it works well IMO. Megs or Lexol don't have UV protection. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
lookstoomuch (09-08-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 05:01 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Zero - your comments make a lot of sense.
do you use Pinnacle or 303? Any pros or cons between the two? When you say 303 - you mean the standard 303 aerospace protectant stuff?

Quick Reply: Leather Care: Meguiar's vs. Lexol