S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Oil/substance discolored my paint...

Old 12-08-2009, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil/substance discolored my paint...

I was out driving a couple weeks ago when something must have spilled on my car from a nearby truck or something (best guess). I noticed it when returning to my car in a parking lot.

Has anyone here seen anything like this before or do you have any ideas as to what it could be?

I spoke to a local detailer (who I'll be seeing on the 20th) and in his 11 years, he said he's never seen anything like it. He said the main impact area looked like an egg splatter, but given the limited damage done, it's unlikely to be the result of egg yolk.

Thoughts anyone?

EDIT: I should also add that the discolored areas don't seem to have a different texture when running my fingers across them. From the 2nd and 4th photos, you can see small areas where the reflection of the tree above carries straight through. Long story short, it seems almost as if it's part of the paint job itself, if that makes sense.

Note to Moderators: I closed my other two threads in "S2000 Talk" and "Body & Paint" as the feedback was good, but nothing I hadn't thought of already.

PHOTOS:

I apologize for the crappy photos, but all I had with me was my iPhone at the time...
Old 12-08-2009, 03:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

really weird...

and for some reason the system wont blow up your pics for me- my best guess is that this is a clear damage.
there are similarities in the one pic with egg damage. but with egg damage, you get tiny pin prick type damage in a circle, sorta.

if it seems to be "in the paint" then it could be clear damage.

if you can clay it or polish it then its on the top
Old 12-08-2009, 03:40 PM

Brake fluid? Could eat the shit out of paint.

Also, what's it feel like? is it smooth? Is there ridges around the stains (as if the stain is actually primer/metal and the paint is missing)
Old 12-08-2009, 03:54 PM

The stains feel as smooth as the paint itself. When I initially noticed the stains as well as after trying to wash (soap/water and nothing else) off, the stains remained smooth to the touch. Like I said, its almost as if it's part of the paint...
Old 12-08-2009, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by espelirS2K,Dec 8 2009, 07:40 PM
Brake fluid? Could eat the shit out of paint.

Also, what's it feel like? is it smooth? Is there ridges around the stains (as if the stain is actually primer/metal and the paint is missing)
I'm with Aaron. I suspect that's brake fluid. If another vehicle on the road had a leaking wheel cylinder or caliper, it's not impossible to believe that some could be airborne, land on your car, and run up the fender like that.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=wanabe,Dec 8 2009, 07:39 PM] my best guess is that this is a clear damage.
there are similarities in the one pic with egg damage.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:26 PM

Judging by the direction the marks travel in, I'm certain that whatever it was hit the car while it was moving, and was then blown rearward by the wind. I saw something extremely similar to this at the local Toys for Tots meet on Sunday.

Anyway, the suggestions of things to try are good ones. Good luck - let us know how it goes!
Old 12-09-2009, 01:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yikes! Could have been brake fluid or acetone. Let us know if you get it fixed up. Best of luck!
Old 12-12-2009, 08:18 PM

Sorry to hear.. keep us posted?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:58 PM

UPDATE: JANUARY 5, 2010

I just had my car professionally detailed today at Jason's Auto Spa and I'm happy to say that Jason did a phenomenal job on the splatter stains left on the paint. Photos follow...

Of course, he was unable to remove the stains 100%, as it seems the chemical has managed to etch itself into the clear coat and alter the color. Jason also took a deeper look and it seems that the clear coat is definitely thinner in those affected areas than the rest of the car. At this point, I'd likely have to have it repainted to get it back to factory spec. But now the stains are so much less of an eye sore that I don't feel like my car is tarnished.

Quick Reply: Oil/substance discolored my paint...