S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Paint prep?

Old 06-14-2019, 05:51 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Paint prep?

What brands of paint prep do you recommend to get a “virgin” paint layer prior to applying sealant and or wax? Do you use this before or after a clay bar routine?
Old 06-16-2019, 07:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If there's already sealant or wax on the paint, then strip wash using a non-PH neutral soap. I use Chemical Guy's Citrus Red, but they don't make them anymore. I've had good experience with Gyeon foam nearly undiluted, but that's highly cost ineffective. Obsessed Garage recently came out with a 'decon' soap, so you may want to try that. But that won't completely remove sealant/wax. The only way to remove them completely is to clay, compound, and polish. If there's no sealant/wax, then washing with pH neutral soap is fine.

After the wash, I use CarPro Iron-X to remove any iron, then clay using Adam's detail spray (sometimes, ONR). After that comes compound/polish. So basically,

- Strip wash using a non-PH neut soap
- CarPro Iron-X, rinse
- Clay with detail spray, rinse
- Dry without using a drying aid
- Compound, polish
- Wipe down residue with CarPro eraser (IPA works too)
Old 06-17-2019, 06:09 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Very easily done guys, wash your car with Dawn dish soap. Removes all the prior layers and leaves a clean surface.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:56 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

- Fresh paint, 90 day to cure before anything
- Iron-x wash
- Dry
- Clay
- Polish
- Glaze
- Sealant
- Wax(every 2-3 weeks)
- Wash 1-2x weekly
- Spray wax with each wash

Start at the beginning every 6 months to a year. A-lot of times once you have a manicured surface starting over you are just stripping but skipping the polishing(removal of paint material) because you maintained the 2 other protective layers(sealant, wax, spray wax bumping the primary wax between cycles)
The following users liked this post:
Midnightdennis (06-25-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 02:21 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Very easily done guys, wash your car with Dawn dish soap. Removes all the prior layers and leaves a clean surface.
It is my understanding that Dawn works well on waxes but has little effect on modern day glazes and sealants.
Levi
Old 06-19-2019, 07:58 PM

A little background might help. I had some front grill and slight bumper damage from someone's lost big tail pipe tip on the freeway a few months ago. While it was in the body shop, I had them do some extra work to fix all the fender, hood, bumper and mirrors rock chips. Well past the 30-days after painting, they washed, clay barred and waxed the car.
I'm interested in putting a paint protection film on clean paint, then after that is set, I can apply sealant and wax, or maybe a ceramic coating. I want to make sure that all of the wax is off prior to the PPF going on.

As far as I know, there is no sealant on the paint, only wax at this point. The S has been a garage queen with a car cover on it since then. I'm dying to get her back on the road, protected from rock chips this time.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Guessing you will have a reputable shop install the PPF? If so, might as well have them prep and correct the paint.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:27 PM

I wonder if anyone has tried the Griot's Garage Foaming Surface Prep?https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...ks&from=Search
Old 07-12-2019, 04:59 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Haven't tried it, but I've found that a simple car wash with Dawn dish soap removes any dirt along with wax and sealants.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:58 PM

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Haven't tried it, but I've found that a simple car wash with Dawn dish soap removes any dirt along with wax and sealants.
Also Chrmical guys has a car wash soap formula called clean slate. It’s specifically designed to remove all prior waxes, sealants and glazes.

Quick Reply: Paint prep?