S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Products you use & product reviews

Old 08-30-2005, 09:21 PM

Received 2,963 Likes on 1,649 Posts

[QUOTE=demade,Aug 20 2005, 03:50 PM]

Question
Old 08-31-2005, 05:00 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Patty,

I too use the age-old Novus products, #1 and #2. They been a standby for old British plastic tops for many years. I know Plexus is very popular; have not tried it yet.

As for glass cleaning I was told how great Stoner's Invisible Glass was. When I first tried it, I was really impressed. But that was before the summer bug season hit. It is NO good for a that. I found that Cyclo Professional Glass Clean was much better for removing bugs and leaving the windshield equally as streak free.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:40 AM

Received 2,963 Likes on 1,649 Posts

I could use a good glass cleaner. Windex doesn't cut it with paper towels. Especially after Rain-Ex, it's hard to get them crystal clean.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:27 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras,Aug 31 2005, 12:40 PM
I could use a good glass cleaner. Windex doesn't cut it with paper towels. Especially after Rain-Ex, it's hard to get them crystal clean.
Windex is the worst; especially on slightly tinted windshields like the S2000.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras,Aug 31 2005, 08:40 AM
I suggest Sprayway Glass Cleaner.

http://www.autosupermart.com/store/s...yway00001.html

You can usually find it locally at a hardware store or some auto parts stores.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04,Aug 31 2005, 05:00 AM
I too use the age-old Novus products, #1 and #2. They been a standby for old British plastic tops for many years.
Newbie here, very interested in seeing what is popular for the S2000 now that I have one!

I read with interest about the plastic window products -- I owned a 91 silver Alfa Romeo Spider for 10 years, was a real fanatic about the car. Of course most of the products I loved using on that car will now be transferred to this car, such as:

- Zymol HD Cleanse
- Zymol wax (not sure which one I'll use, Carbon or Japon)
- Lexol leather conditioner
- silicone on weatherstripping
- Stoner More Shine Less Time For Tires
- Simple Green to remove brake dust
- note sure what wheel wax to use yet (any recommendations?)

But since I didn't see it mentioned I thought I would offer a tip for those of you with the plastic window: place a big, fluffy towel across the window before lowering the top. The towel will protect the window from rubbing against itself and clouding. On my Alfa, the window outlasted its cloth top! And yes the Novus #1 and #2 work great.

Cheers,
Diane
Old 10-12-2005, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow! Lots of different products. It's amazing. I will list what I have used , currently use on my S.

Cleaner Wax; previously Meguiars, currently mother carnuba-both in paste form
Polishing wax. previously meguiars gold class liquid, currently meguiars nxt liquid. I love this stuff because it goes on and comes off easy and i love the shine. Plus I do it all by hand.

To apply the waxes I use a soft sponge applicator.
To remove them, I use microfiber waxing clothes, and for the final go over, I use the best wax diapers from griots garage, which are amazing and do not scratch the paint.

Washing, I use meguiars gold class shampoo and conditioner, a soft lambskin mit and warm water. I use mother convertible top cleaner, and a very very soft brush, used only for the top. I use simple green (in full strength, not diluted) and a nother brush, to clean my wheels and tires. Eats right thru the toughest brake dust.
To dry i use a california water blade, an air compressor with the trigger thingy that lets you shoot out the air, best to water out from around taillights, door handles and mirrors. And then the softest towels possible to find to get all the little spots like door jambs, trunk jambs etc.

To clean the windows, I've probably used just about everything under the sun, and I mean I've tried them all. I just discovered invisible glass, and let me tell you, its the best glass cleaner ever invented. no ammonia, eats thru bugs and dirt like butter, and is safe for tinted windows. doesn't streek like windex. I also bought microfibre clothes made just for glass, and wow does it make a huge difference. trust me on this one, cause i hate dirty windows with a passion.

For the interior i use a small vacuum, a soft brush attachment to vacuum the inside of the top, the leather seats, and all the little nooks and crannies. I use meguiars wipes on the leather, and armor all for the trim, but sparingly.

I hope that maybe this will help some people out, and i know each person has stuff the will use that i don't. everyone is entitled to there own opinion, so enjoy.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A few more things I almost forgot.

To shine the tires I use Meguiars Hot tire shine, in the aresol can, not the plastic spray bottle. I like it because it has 3 different nozzle settings, based on tire size.

Any and all clothes, towels, rags, etc used to clean/detail car, should be washed with a little bit if laundry soap, not too much. I use Era. I hang dry mine. DO NOT use bleaches of any kind, or fabric softeners, especially on anything microfiber. Fabric softener is bad for any kind of finish on a car.

Happy product hunting, and enjoy.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:45 PM

I have been using the Gliptone on my S since new. You may or may not have heard of them but I have used them for years with great luck!

Interior
Gliptone 1108 leather conditioner
Gliptone 1208 leather cleaner
Pro Honda (dealer) cleaner for plastic, and vinyl on doors, dash.
Pro Honda Vinyl Conditioner to make it shine!
Toyota Spot and Stain Remover (ok, this might make you laugh, but I have detailed cars for years and this stuff is magic in a can!)

Exterior:
Gliptone GT0216 #1 Carnauba Wax (No additives)
Professionals Choice Clay
303 on the top

Old 11-26-2005, 08:31 AM

I'm going to detail my car real soon, and I need some advice. Unfortunately I don't have the time or energy to do a 7 step car detail, so I've broken it down to this: Wash, Clay, Polish, Wax. I think it should be sufficient for the condition of my car. I have already purchased clay magic, is it good? I have glo-shield polish from a while back As Seen on TV purchase, what do you guys think about that stuff? If I don't use the glo shield, which polish do you guys reccommend for light swirl marks and overall paint cleaning. Again, I only want to do one coat of polish. One last thing, are there any waxes that are particularly good for yellow cars? Thanks in advance for your help.

Quick Reply: Products you use & product reviews