S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Some Zaino questions

Old 01-30-2004, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Zaino questions

Hi guys,

I just got my S2000 and plan on pampering it this weekend

Zaino recommends using Dawn dishwashing soap and then applying the clay bar, Zaino car wash, polish, etc.

Since I live in the city I usually wash my car around twice a month. Would using liquid soap everytime i wash my car damage the paint? I heard 3-4 times is the max a year that you sould use Dawn. I guess I should just use the Zaino car wash soap without the Dawn on other days.

I plan on doing this Zaino wash/wax process everytime I wash my car...which would be twice a month...any negative effects?

Any help appreciated!

Paul
Old 01-30-2004, 11:39 AM

The Dawn will remove any products you already have on your car. So don't use the Dawn unless you want to take off all the Zaino and start over twice a month.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:10 PM

^ gotcha. I'll use Dawn maybe twice a month but wash it with just Zaino car wash other times and then use the spray polisher.

I explained this whole process to my co-worker, who's not a car buff, and she was like "Man...that's love"
Old 01-30-2004, 12:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you only need to dawn the car once- when you first get it....
after that, the zaino will get removed in a year or so when you do your first swirl removal.
zaino can be applied over old zaino- no need to remove it.
in fact, the finish gets deeper and stronger with more zaino on it. i still remember the finish i had with 20 coats of zaino and several coats of p21s in between- but then the swirls moved in!
if you polish the car (swirl remover is a type of polish) you will be removing the zaino.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:18 PM

Dawn is basically to clean the car decently well (it won't take off Zaino as noted in a previous post). Clay barring will be a MUST! Even if the car is brand spanking new, you'll be surprised how much crap the claybar will pick off.

It's fairly hard to screw up with Zaino, I was extremely paranoid and made wanabe answer hundreds of questions before my first try .

You can put on as much Zaino as you want, I usually get lazy at 3-4 coats, there are others who do suicidal 15-20.

Most important thign I could tell you is to not overlook clay barring the car (any will do, I use Mothers, some folks use Zaino's).

My usual suggestion is this-

1. Wash car with dawn. Dry the car (I use lamb skin, but I reccommend - as most people do - Microfiber)
2. Claybar the entire car (it looks like you bought a used one, so I dont know how the guy worked on his car, clay bar will be a pain to do the entire car but might as well just in case).

3. Wash the car again with dawn. If possible this would also be a good time to use Mr. Clean's AutoDry product (if not just go at it again with dawn). Dry again.
4. This is usually where I put the car into a garageshade.
5. Go with 2-3 layers of Z5 (anti swirl marks). Whether you use the detailing spray inbetween is up to you.
6. After the Z5's, Go with 1 layer of Z2, then alternate between Z2 and Z5. Detail spray between each.
7. Finish off with a Z2 and detialing spray.
8. Get some sleep after. You'll be dead tired
Old 01-30-2004, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Hi guys,

I just got my S2000 and plan on pampering it this weekend
Old 01-30-2004, 07:09 PM

DO NOT USE DAWN AFTER APPLYING ZAINO....that is unless you want to remove it. Not sure where S2KSIMON is getting his info, but I dont agree with him. I have actually called Zaino, since I live in NJ, Some tips:

1. First time you are going to appy it, prewash the car with dawn.
2. Clay the entire car.
3. Wash it again
4. Apply the Zaino
5. You can only put 3 coats of Z1 treated polish on the car in 24 hours....
6. Use the Zaino wash at all times after Zaino is applied
Old 01-30-2004, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

QuickS - I guess u da man ?

when it comes to detailing cars, I must be a complete noob.. , a complete beginner, a nobody, a wanabe ?

zaino , what's that ?

I thought you were talking about Turtle Wax's Zymol ? or Klasse's s100 stuff...
Old 01-30-2004, 09:42 PM

Not sure what s2ksimon is getting at, but it says in plain english on the Zaino site NOT to use dish soap (Dawn) on a regular basis.

As mentioned by Quick, it's used prior to the First application of Zaino to remove as much grime and grease as possible. Claybar is the next step in removing all surface contaminates.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:19 PM

I could be wrong, but these are my observations. I have layered many coats of Zaino on my car over the last 6 months. Often I would use a spray carnauba wax between applications to give the finish a little extra zing. I did not sandwich the carnuba and the Zaino. Whenever I was ready to layer more Zaino on, I would Dawn wash first to remove the carnauba. It did not seem to affect the Zaino at all. Upon touching up rock chips, I have used full strength 70% iso. alcohol to remove Zaino around the chip. Upon later wash with Zaino carwash, it was quite evident where I removed the Zaino with the alcohol. Zaino is a polymer that forms a strong bond with the clearcoat. It seems to require a cutting agent or solvent to remove it. Carnauba is wax which really doesn't form as strong a bond with the clearcoat (i.e. - Temperature greatly affects carnauba's bond to clearcoat). Dawn is alkaline. No big surprise, it is a soap. It should cut the wax easily. In the concentrations we use to wash our cars I think it might speed up Zaino's decay rate slightly, but not to a great extent. What do others think/know?

What I do not understand is how carnauba and Zaino can be sandwiched layer upon layer and still adhere to the car long enough to be effective. I think I am going to try it though.

These are my thoughts only, the placebo based controlled study will be published in my book "Honey, Are You Waxing Your Car Again?". Foreword will be by my wife, the orginal "Zaino Widow".J/K

Quick Reply: Some Zaino questions