S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Wash and Wax (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-wash-wax-15/)
-   -   Windshield Tape Removal (documented w/ pix) (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-wash-wax-15/windshield-tape-removal-documented-w-pix-69845/)

olapua 06-01-2010 04:20 PM

lucky dawg. I took the tape off my Sebring this weekend and the sticky adhesive ran all the way around the windshield. Took me a couple of hours and a few beers to get the stuff off :vdrunk:

On the upside the paint was perfect. Clayed it. Followed with a little nuba and I love the clean-tapeless look :photo:

MurderS2K 06-02-2010 11:39 AM

wierd, i never had this on my AP1 BB. Neither have i EVER seen on another S until this forum.

Chazmo 06-02-2010 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by MurderS2K,Jun 2 2010, 02:39 PM
wierd, i never had this on my AP1 BB. Neither have i EVER seen on another S until this forum.

Maybe there's no tape on black cars, murder... As for other colors, they all have tape (at least in the US).

HannibalACP82 06-04-2010 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chazmo,May 27 2010, 04:32 PM
Nice, Hannibal. Impressive that it came off easily since it's been on there for 5 years! Enjoy being tapeless.

Thanks man. Pretty stoked now with how it looks.

HannibalACP82 06-04-2010 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Jun 2 2010, 12:47 PM
Maybe there's no tape on black cars, murder... As for other colors, they all have tape (at least in the US).

This came up in the vintage thread and it looks like the factory leaves the tape off of the BBs. Also it appears that only S2Ks that are being shipped to the good old US of A have the tape. Could be anything in North America though. Some of the UK guys were saying they have never seen the tape over there.

Chazmo 06-10-2010 03:14 PM

Yup, it's a North America spec. thing. I honestly don't get it. We debated this ad nauseum years ago and figured it was just something the US distributors liked on a one of the prototype models and decided the factory should ship 'em that way. That stayed in effect, apparently, and never changed for the whole model run, as far as I know.

What really irritated me was that they were, at least for a while, abrasively sanding the paint on the frame presumably to make the tape adhesion better and cleaning up any bumps. Sigh... My car still has two dull spots from that with the tape off. Thankfully, not all cars have that.

HannibalACP82 06-10-2010 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Jun 10 2010, 03:14 PM
Yup, it's a North America spec. thing. I honestly don't get it. We debated this ad nauseum years ago and figured it was just something the US distributors liked on a one of the prototype models and decided the factory should ship 'em that way. That stayed in effect, apparently, and never changed for the whole model run, as far as I know.

What really irritated me was that they were, at least for a while, abrasively sanding the paint on the frame presumably to make the tape adhesion better and cleaning up any bumps. Sigh... My car still has two dull spots from that with the tape off. Thankfully, not all cars have that.

I found 2 very small "scuff" marks. Nothing a light buff and then a solid wax won't take care of. I know near the end of the run they stopped using the tape. I believe it was when the CR launched since it didn't have a soft top and came with a factory hard top.

rudeS2k 10-23-2010 01:57 PM

we'll i finally had the courage to remove the tape the other day. My advice is to take it slowly when removing the tape-take your time. Mine ripped a few times. I used a hair dryer and a can of 3M adhesive remover i bought from Walmart. BTW,Use a lot of elbow grease, too . :) Suprisingly, the paint under the tape was prestine. here's a pic of mine.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1343/...907f8e96_z.jpg

GPWSIM 10-24-2010 10:28 PM

Hey guys I just purchased MY07 and the previous owner removed the black adhesive tape. I was a bit shocked about a couple scuffs I discovered until I found this thread, seeing as others have had scuffs as well.

Earlier in the post someone mentioned 3m swirl remover to fix the scuffs, but im not sure if he mentioned if it worked or not. Any best methods to get those cleaned up and looking fresh again?

Chazmo 10-25-2010 04:55 AM

I never found anything to take out the swirl marks. They are abrasions in the paint, GPWSIM, done with sandpaper or something.