S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

XPEL Headlight Protection Testimony - 16+ Years

Old 12-21-2018, 01:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XPEL Headlight Protection Testimony - 16+ Years

Installed Xpel headlight lens film when the car was new. Over the past few years I noticed some "star" shaped bubbles forming near the center where the HID's are, I suppose it was a combination of heat and age that caused the adhesive to start letting go. Just this past week while washing the car I noticed the one edge peeling away above the HID.

My original plan was to remove the film and run "naked" for the rest of the car's life. So I went about removing the film. I used a heat gun to warm the film and began pulling the peeling lens starting where it let go. What I found is the adhesive was still sticky, except the outer edge where the adhesive was left behind hardened. I proceeded to place a single layer of paper towel onto the entire lens area, then applied GooGone until wetted evenly. I left this on overnight, then in the morning I used a plastic scraper to easily roll off the goop. The edge residue was harder to remove.

What I found was the little bit of lens not covered by the film was yellowed, opaque, and rough. Everything under the film was PRISTINE. Clear, flawless, like the day I bought the car! I immediately placed my order for replacement Xpel. I'm sure the investment will pay off when I go to sell the car. Hazy headlights make a car look old.

Meanwhile, I used BlueMagic "plastic & plexiglass cleaner and light scratch remover" to hand (finger) buff the outer edge and to help abrade away the rough adhesive edge. The result is not as good as the protected area (how can it be?) but close enough.

The Xpel film never yellowed, scratched, or showed impact marks from rocks. It weathered evenly on the surface a bit from years of driving. Removal was no problem, and didn't pull up any of the original factory lens coating. Although it eventually had adhesive failure, I got really good service out of the product.
The following users liked this post:
award78 (06-03-2019)
Old 12-21-2018, 04:04 AM

Pictures of the result below. Looks like I have one more edge area to polish with Plexiglas cleaner.

Distant View: after 16-year-old Xpel film removed

Close Side View: after 16-year-old Xpel film removed.

Close Front View: after 16-year-old Xpel film removed.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, I'm about to pull mine off but I can tell my lens has hairline cracks in it
Old 01-03-2019, 08:10 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

That is a persuasive endorsement. Where can you source that stuff? Is it hard to apply?
Old 01-05-2019, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by rpg51
That is a persuasive endorsement. Where can you source that stuff? Is it hard to apply?
Just a few weeks ago got mine from AutoAnything Part # H0213. This time around the film is bigger and fits more to the edge of the lens. It does require some patience to apply and then some time for the milky blotches to go away.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:04 AM

Received 1,551 Likes on 920 Posts

My set arrived in the mail. Will let you know how it turns out.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:53 AM

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Can this be applied after the headlights have been restored and maybe saw a month's worth of weather?

I just sanded/polished/sealed my headlights around Christmas time...
Old 02-08-2019, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put Xpel on my ap1 after doing a restoration and its been good. I would recommend doing it immediately after a restoration for best results, both of clarity and on adhesion, but thats just me.

Here's my install album - https://imgur.com/a/XrS9Z
Old 06-03-2019, 06:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been wondering about the long term durability of these products. Is this a garaged car or out in the sun mostly?
Old 06-03-2019, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by award78
I've been wondering about the long term durability of these products. Is this a garaged car or out in the sun mostly?
The car sits in the sun M-F while I'm at work.

Quick Reply: XPEL Headlight Protection Testimony - 16+ Years