San Diego S2000 Owners San Diego and Imperial County S2000 Owners Community meets, events and discussions.

Oil pan help

Old 03-07-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil pan help

Well, I bought the JS2K oil drain valve. I was going to use it on my current oil pan. Well, when I went to change the oil put on the new valve, I saw how wonderfully overtorqued the oil drain bolt was. The washer on the bolt was jutting out instead of sitting flush against the pan. Regardless of this, I thought, this new valve should do the trick. After getting rid of the oil, I begin to screw in the new valve with my hand. As I begin to tighten it with my hand, I realize how easy it is to tighten. It is after this I realize something isnt right. I unscrew the valve, and when its completely out, I see pieces of the pan threading on the new oil drain valves threading . After 100 swear words later,and swearing that Iam goin to get rid of this money pit, I come to terms with purchasing another oil pan. Nothing is wrong with the new oil drain valve. I just purchased the oil pan and it should arrive fri early morning the latest. So, I am requesting some help from you guys that are free on friday mid-morning, early afternoon. I dont have the tools to do it at home, but I do have base access, and will do the job at MCAS Miramar's hobby shop. If you can come out, I would greatly appreciate it. 40 bucks is in for the person who can give me a hand with this job. BTW, my car is leaking oil, so Ive been checkin my levels daily.
PM me if you're genuinely interested and available.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:03 PM

PM Gavin, aka TurboViper. I here he is pretty good with hand tools and such.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by JDMQuip
PM Gavin, aka TurboViper. I here he is pretty good with hand tools and such.
I would like to. I heard Gavin is awesome from Brad. But, I am leaking oil badly, and I dont know if my car can make it safely to Murrietta. I may do it, but I really am scared of being stranded which is why I want to do it locally.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by 02_s2k
I would like to. I heard Gavin is awesome from Brad. But, I am leaking oil badly, and I dont know if my car can make it safely to Murrietta. I may do it, but I really am scared of being stranded which is why I want to do it locally.
Im going to PM him anyway. Just to see if he can do it. Thanks mang.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM replied
Old 03-08-2011, 08:41 AM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope I'm not being unhelpful by not really answering your question (I'm curious as much as anything), but couldn't you heli-coil the drain plug, or something? Replacing the pan sounds awful expensive and time consuming. But I'm sure Gavin will know what's up. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by bdo
I hope I'm not being unhelpful by not really answering your question (I'm curious as much as anything), but couldn't you heli-coil the drain plug, or something? Replacing the pan sounds awful expensive and time consuming. But I'm sure Gavin will know what's up. Good luck.
I thought about that afterward, but I dont know if it would work with the new JS2K oil drain valve I would be installing. So I thought, screw it all together and just get another one. I literally have invested over 4K on this car just for repairs (new clutch/fly/bearings and labor, rear rubbers, two new cambers, new softop, 2 new latches(others were broken), brake pads, trunk, 3rd brake light). I could have paid the car off by now. I think this is going to be my last mod in a LOOOOONNNNNNG time. Not to mention I still need to throw new shocks and springs cause the genius b4 me threw skunks on stocks. Ive even contemplated getting rid of it cause it's been nothing but fix this, fix that, that broke, this broke. But I digress. Yes, it is easier, but I dont want to risk effin anything up. But I will keep that in mind for my other rides. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by TurboViper
PM replied
Gavin, you're the man!!!! I loved the fact you even showed me and gave me the option to put a new pan in. Thanks so much.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02_s2k
Gavin, you're the man!!!! I loved the fact you even showed me and gave me the option to put a new pan in. Thanks so much.
Your very welcome!