Seller Feedback Please post seller feedback, good or bad, in this forum.

Hardtop Purchase from Midship Garage - Not Good

Old 10-19-2017, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop Purchase from Midship Garage - Not Good

I purchased a used Berlina Black hardtop from Midship for $4000. Website description and emails back and forth seemed promising. I asked a lot of questions including for pictures and included hardware. I specifically asked if it had the OEM BB paint, and he confirmed that it did, twice. U.J would say everything and anything that I needed to hear to complete the sale. I took a chance at the sale since no one locally was selling and I had saved all the emails, called my chase sapphire to make sure my purchase was protected every way before the payment.

Fast forward 2 months after the payment - I just got my hardtop back from a local body shop for shipping damage repair. They shipped the hardtop from U.K in a cardboard box and it came with a huge dent and paint crack. Midship refunded $1000 that was quoted for the repair, but I ended up paying $150 more out of my pocket since the actual bill was higher, which was reasonably explained. From the 3 repair quotes from different body shops, all identified that it did not have the OEM BB paint and in fact was Blue underneath the aftermarket black. I confronted Midship that it used to be a completely different color and it was aftermarket painted and he simply responded that he didn't know. I decided to keep the hardtop if he paid for the repair & new paint, but it was not an easy decision to make. I gave him a deadline for the $1000 refund that would go straight to repair and if it wasn't met, I was ready to dispute the charge for not having the OEM paint.

Looking back, it was a lot of effort and time to get this hardtop back into good shape that I will live with. I don't believe that he is a scammer, but is ignorant on his actual products that he's giving his word on. It is obvious that he purchases hardtops whole sale worldwide but doesn't actually check the actual conditions himself in person. And the shipping method in a cardboard box with a bunch of bubble wraps is terrifying. I wanted to share my experience and lay out the facts in case anyone was looking for a feedback. Maybe you will have a better luck. Hope you make the best decision available.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eze078
I purchased a used Berlina Black hardtop from Midship for $4000. Website description and emails back and forth seemed promising. I asked a lot of questions including for pictures and included hardware. I specifically asked if it had the OEM BB paint, and he confirmed that it did, twice. U.J would say everything and anything that I needed to hear to complete the sale. I took a chance at the sale since no one locally was selling and I had saved all the emails, called my chase sapphire to make sure my purchase was protected every way before the payment.

Fast forward 2 months after the payment - I just got my hardtop back from a local body shop for shipping damage repair. They shipped the hardtop from U.K in a cardboard box and it came with a huge dent and paint crack. Midship refunded $1000 that was quoted for the repair, but I ended up paying $150 more out of my pocket since the actual bill was higher, which was reasonably explained. From the 3 repair quotes from different body shops, all identified that it did not have the OEM BB paint and in fact was Blue underneath the aftermarket black. I confronted Midship that it used to be a completely different color and it was aftermarket painted and he simply responded that he didn't know. I decided to keep the hardtop if he paid for the repair & new paint, but it was not an easy decision to make. I gave him a deadline for the $1000 refund that would go straight to repair and if it wasn't met, I was ready to dispute the charge for not having the OEM paint.

Looking back, it was a lot of effort and time to get this hardtop back into good shape that I will live with. I don't believe that he is a scammer, but is ignorant on his actual products that he's giving his word on. Not a good business. It is obvious that he purchases hardtops whole sale worldwide but doesn't actually check the actual conditions himself in person. And the shipping method in a cardboard box with a bunch of bubble wraps is terrifying. I wanted to share my experience and lay out the facts in case anyone was looking for a feedback. Hope you make the best decision...
I was gonna give him the benefit of the doubt until I saw cardboard box, I mean... common sense... I would have just made him pay return shipping and gotten a full refund or chargeback would have been sent his way.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:59 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Honda ships OEM hardtops in cardboard boxes.

It's a pretty robust set-up though.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:27 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Honda ships OEM hardtops in cardboard boxes.

It's a pretty robust set-up though.
I'd still give Midship a chance. The original color would be hard to discover.

The shipping mishap could have bee the shipping companies fault. Do you have photos of the condition you received it?

I like to see more HT imported and flood the market so they're not in high demand = less stolen.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:29 AM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

No way would I spend 4000 bucks to buy a used hardtop all the way from the UK. Surely you could have found one here stateside for the same money or less if you had patience and kept on looking. Large items are always prone to damage during shipping and the distance makes reconciliation a hassle.