S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Bad transmission mount?

Old 05-11-2016, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad transmission mount?

I was making my third run in an autocross on Saturday and shift from 2nd the 3rd in a fast left hand corner. I ended up finding first and spinning off the track backwards. I never let the clutch all the way out and didn't appear to damage my engine. On my next run, I paid close attention to my shifting in the same spot and the car tried to going into first again. The was my second shift to third on each run, with the first being in a straight. I checked my transmission mounts today and they don't appear to be cracked but, I can move the transmission easily with my fingers. Are transmission mounts supposed to be that soft or are mine worn out? My motor mounts appear to still be very firm.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been trying to figure this out too. My shifter moves around alot when I go over stutter bumps. But the rubber parts look ok.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by 92gli
I've been trying to figure this out too. My shifter moves around alot when I go over stutter bumps. But the rubber parts look ok.
did you ever get this fixed? If so what did you do? I am having the exact same problem right now.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 345 Likes on 322 Posts

An engine damper helped
Old 10-15-2018, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by noodels
An engine damper helped
did you end up replacing any of the mounts?
Old 10-16-2018, 12:05 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Motor mounts and a trans mount. Remember, the trans is attached to the motor, where one goes, the other follows.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:36 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Motor mounts and a trans mount. Remember, the trans is attached to the motor, where one goes, the other follows.
I'm considering getting an ETD to help my mounts out now. Might just take the plunge and get Spoon engine and trans mount set. Pretty much get the set for the price of one OEM mount...and it's Spoon Sports so no qualms about quality and fitment there.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:21 AM

Exclamation Same here...

Originally Posted by mball19
I was making my third run in an autocross on Saturday and shift from 2nd the 3rd in a fast left hand corner. I ended up finding first and spinning off the track backwards. I never let the clutch all the way out and didn't appear to damage my engine. On my next run, I paid close attention to my shifting in the same spot and the car tried to going into first again. The was my second shift to third on each run, with the first being in a straight. I checked my transmission mounts today and they don't appear to be cracked but, I can move the transmission easily with my fingers. Are transmission mounts supposed to be that soft or are mine worn out? My motor mounts appear to still be very firm.
Older thread but does anyone know the solution this member found (hopefully)? I have literally the exact same issue in higher speed autocross courses where it won’t go 2nd to 3rd sometimes or worse misaligns to the point that I go into 1st for a split second (spun once last summer hitting 1st - ruining my day w/cone damage - then nearly spun again last week going 2nd to 1st - barely getting into 1st).

So without taking it to a garage I notice brown around the black rubber engine mount on the passenger side. Is the brown the internal fluid? If so I found at least one of my problems.

Anyone with advice or similar personal experiences with solutions (just replace motor and transmission mounts)?

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2021, 06:11 AM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RedS2Kftw
Older thread but does anyone know the solution this member found (hopefully)? I have literally the exact same issue in higher speed autocross courses where it won’t go 2nd to 3rd sometimes or worse misaligns to the point that I go into 1st for a split second (spun once last summer hitting 1st - ruining my day w/cone damage - then nearly spun again last week going 2nd to 1st - barely getting into 1st).

So without taking it to a garage I notice brown around the black rubber engine mount on the passenger side. Is the brown the internal fluid? If so I found at least one of my problems.

Anyone with advice or similar personal experiences with solutions (just replace motor and transmission mounts)?

Thanks!
Replace motor mounts since they are blown and inspect trans mounts. If trans mounts are bad, replace those too. See if that fixes it.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:17 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Yes, brown residue is the internal damping fluid from the mount. A sure sign of mount failure.

I highly recommend adding an engine torque damper, ETD, once you replace the engine mounts. This will protect the mounts and give them a much increased lifespan (they ain't cheap), as well as greatly reduced overall engine motion, without increasing vibes or harshness by much at all.

The reduced motion improves shift feel, and makes for a more direct response to throttle inputs. I can imagine that being especially useful in autocross, even moreso than on a road course.

Quick Reply: Bad transmission mount?