Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AP2 05 S2000 Tire Selection Help!

Old 08-30-2016, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP2 05 S2000 Tire Selection Help!

Hi everyone,
So im a new and Proud owner of a 2005 AP2 S2K! There are a few mods that are on the car currently as i bought it. I will list these below so that you guys can give me your best opinions. Please bare in mind that i am new to the whole s2k market and don't know all the slangs yet loll so please try and keep explanations basic. Anyways I need help choosing some new tires for my setup. The car currently has a staggered setup. Now as far as I've read there are a few more pros on the non staggered setups like less understeer and what not. The car will be street driven on the weekends 95% of the time and I want the best of both worlds, traction in the wet and dry and i want to retain the current way she handles (like a go cart) but the back end likes to get a little loose if I'm going fast around tight bends. Ive only had the car for less than a month, and don't completely know her that well.
Current mods on the car:

SOS Stage 1 supercharged @6 psi w/ 4.4" pulley (approx 300 whp)
SOS race front mount intercooler
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
J's racing headers - heat wrapped (stock exhaust)
Koni yellows (sport model, dampening adjustable)
With Tien htech springs (approx 1.5" drop)
Front and rear sway bars are upgraded as well (I'm not sure about the size, but they're definitely thicker than stock)
front engine brace
engine torque damper (carbon fiber)
18x7.5/8.5 Volk RE30 (rims)
205/40/18 - 225/40/18 Yokohama S Drives
Wildwood Big Brake Kit (front and back) thats why the 18" wheels because factory won't fit

theres no engine work/tranny work done to the car... Rest is all stock. Also she has just about 51k miles on her.

Now looking at all these specs, and keeping in mind that i want to keep the same rims and just change the tires what would be the best rubber? Also i do not want to rub or do any fender work. She's super clean and id like to keep her like that. Also she doesn't rub anywhere at all right now. The previous owner told me that he was gonna go with 225/40/18 and 255/40/18 for his next set, he also recommended that he'd keep the yokohamas or go with firestone fire hawk oval 500. Now neither him or me are experts on tires and grip in the wet/dry so i would like to request the gurus on here on what i should go with. I don't mind staggered setups as long as the grip is there. I appreciate all of you reading this and giving me some advice! also I don't mind spending up to $1500 on good quality tires if i have to ($350-$400/corner)... As long as they'll last me a reasonable amount of time. I don't do burnouts or drifting or anything like but i love to go fast around bendy tarmac. I'd like to keep her more towards the track focused/weekend get away car, and if more grip comes at a cost of loosing a tiny bit of power because of the bigger and heavier tires, i don't mind but would preferably not have to go that route. I understand that there will be a tiny difference because i do want to go with meatier tires for sure and I'm okay with that.Thank you so much!!! cheers
Old 08-30-2016, 08:22 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Either 215/40 front, 245/35 rear or 225/40 front, 255/35 rear.

Current tire sizes are terrible, especially with added power. He might have done that to avoid rubbing the fenders, depends on the wheel offset. You would need different wheels if you want non-staggered. In that case, probably better off going back to a stock rear sway bar.

Personally, I'd look at parting out the BBK and picking up OEM AP2 wheels. There really isn't room to fit a conservative set of wheels and a BBK with stock fenders. Now if you are willing to roll the fenders then you have some options.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by 1nate7
Either 215/40 front, 245/35 rear or 225/40 front, 255/35 rear.

Current tire sizes are terrible, especially with added power. He might have done that to avoid rubbing the fenders, depends on the wheel offset. You would need different wheels if you want non-staggered. In that case, probably better off going back to a stock rear sway bar.

Personally, I'd look at parting out the BBK and picking up OEM AP2 wheels. There really isn't room to fit a conservative set of wheels and a BBK with stock fenders. Now if you are willing to roll the fenders then you have some options.
I see. Im not sure about the offset of the wheels tbh. And i really do want to keep the BBK with the stock fenders without rolling them. Isn't there an option where i can just get better tires approximately the same size as the current ones but more sticky? Because i love the way everything is right now and to me they are not so bad in the grip department but could definitely need some more meat... can't i add another 10-15mm to all the tires with better quality and be okay without having any rubbing? thank you for your insight!!
Old 08-30-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

My mind is boggling at the idea that the previous owner increased power, then decreased the tire widths both front and rear from OEM sizes.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by shrykhar
My mind is boggling at the idea that the previous owner increased power, then decreased the tire widths both front and rear from OEM sizes.
do you think that this could be because of fender rubbing?? Cuz there is enough room for a meatier tire without rubbing as far as i can tell...
I'm attaching some pics if that helps

[attachment=98493:IMG_2376.JPG]

[attachment=98496:FullSizeRender-1.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails AP2 05 S2000 Tire Selection Help!-img_2376.jpg   AP2 05 S2000 Tire Selection Help!-fullsizerender-1.jpg  
Old 08-30-2016, 09:15 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Wheel offset info will help.

A supercharged S2000 really should be using a 255mm rear tyre at the very least. Those will work with 8.5" wide wheels. A 225 front tyre would be fine with your rim widths...and I'm guessing it will not rub.

I am not super familiar with 18" sizing or availability. I don't know if a 225/255 stagger is available in the right aspect ratios. Maybe a 225 and 265 stagger?

You really should find out the offset so people can help to tell you about the likelihood of rubbing. It is likely stamped on the wheel hub or stickered to the barrel.

Look for a max performance (MP) or extreme performance (EP) category tyre. If you're forced to go with a skinny tyre to keep the aspect ratio steady, definitely look at EP's.

A good MP tyre is the Michelin Pilot SS or Bridgestone S04.
A good EP tyre for mostly street use is (doesn't exist). But the Dunlop Direzza Z2 SS is the closest one that I can think of.

I think the previous owner switched his wheel and tyre set to "good enough for the sale". Nobody in their right mind would drive a supercharged (or even stock) S2000 with those tyres in those sizes.

Also...Eibach doesn't make H tech springs. Tein H tech? 1.5" drop? Maybe Tein S Tech?

Eibach makes prokit springs with like a 1" drop...or sportlines as "show" springs with like a 2+" drop.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:20 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Sho
can't i add another 10-15mm to all the tires with better quality and be okay without having any rubbing? thank you for your insight!!
I think you probably could. If you can, put the car up on jack stands and then use a floor jack under the tire to compress the suspension. With it compressed, measure the distance between the fender and tire. That should give you an idea how much clearance you have.

215/40, 245/35 would be a safe start. 225/255 would be ideal IMO if you have the room. Try to get the offset from previous owner if possible.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:23 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Sho' timestamp='1472574969' post='24051099
can't i add another 10-15mm to all the tires with better quality and be okay without having any rubbing? thank you for your insight!!
I think you probably could. If you can, put the car up on jack stands and then use a floor jack under the tire to compress the suspension. With it compressed, measure the distance between the fender and tire. That should give you an idea how much clearance you have.
Wouldn't it be safer and more accurate to just do this with the car on the ground?
Old 08-30-2016, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
Wheel offset info will help.

A supercharged S2000 really should be using a 255mm rear tyre at the very least. Those will work with 8.5" wide wheels. A 225 front tyre would be fine with your rim widths...and I'm guessing it will not rub.

I am not super familiar with 18" sizing or availability. I don't know if a 225/255 stagger is available in the right aspect ratios. Maybe a 225 and 265 stagger?

You really should find out the offset so people can help to tell you about the likelihood of rubbing. It is likely stamped on the wheel hub or stickered to the barrel.

Look for a max performance (MP) or extreme performance (EP) category tyre. If you're forced to go with a skinny tyre to keep the aspect ratio steady, definitely look at EP's.

A good MP tyre is the Michelin Pilot SS or Bridgestone S04.
A good EP tyre for mostly street use is (doesn't exist). But the Dunlop Direzza Z2 SS is the closest one that I can think of.

I think the previous owner switched his wheel and tyre set to "good enough for the sale". Nobody in their right mind would drive a supercharged (or even stock) S2000 with those tyres in those sizes.

Also...Eibach doesn't make H tech springs. Tein H tech? 1.5" drop? Maybe Tein S Tech?

Eibach makes prokit springs with like a 1" drop...or sportlines as "show" springs with like a 2+" drop.
Okay cool.... I will try and find out about the offset tonight... Im stuck at work atm and can't go take a look.
Also thank you for all the info!!!!!!!
and yes sorry my mistake Tien Htech not the Stech springs...
Old 08-30-2016, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by 4Sho' timestamp='1472574969' post='24051099

215/40, 245/35 would be a safe start. 225/255 would be ideal IMO if you have the room. Try to get the offset from previous owner if possible.
I see... Yes personally i want 225/255 i will try and find out the offset today and post it... so you guys can further help me out!! thanks a ton!!!

Quick Reply: AP2 05 S2000 Tire Selection Help!