S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 motor oil discontinued?

Old 04-21-2017, 03:33 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Default S2000 motor oil discontinued?

Hope not but-

A friend of mine who has an AP1 he's owned since new in 2000 brought his car in for an oil change at his Honda dealer ( Wisconsin) and was told that they didn't have the special grade anymore and they put in 10w-30 non synthetic.

Not being a real technical guy he wasn't bothered.

I think the dealer service people are dishonest jerks and he should get it rechanged to an equivalent synthetic at least.

Ive got a change coming up myself (AP2) and would appreciate any inputs/comments

THANKS
Old 04-21-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Oil is oil and nothing special about s2000 oil other than the Honda version has now been surpassed in performance by more modern stuff. Plenty of threads here and everywhere to debate the merits of each but I think most can agree to put in a synthetic 5w30 and be happy. Do a little searching on this topic and you'll be entertained for days.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry100
Hope not but-

A friend of mine who has an AP1 he's owned since new in 2000 brought his car in for an oil change at his Honda dealer ( Wisconsin) and was told that they didn't have the special grade anymore and they put in 10w-30 non synthetic.

I think the dealer service people are dishonest jerks and he should get it rechanged to an equivalent synthetic at least.

THANKS
Obviously IQ's have dropped sharply at that dealership. its oil, not rocket science. bunch of dummies.

stay far, far away from them. Who knows if they even installed (7/8 of a turn past initial contact) the proper filter (pcx-004). ****in' idiots.

​​​​​​​darcy

Last edited by darcyw; 04-21-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:01 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

There was "special" motor oil in the engine when it left the factory 17 years ago that should not have been changed for the first X-thousand miles or so but I bet that period was long ago. Spec remains 10W-30 or 5W-40. No reason to anguish about either. Dino or synthetic makes no difference but synthetics offer better flow in cold engines and in the grand scheme of things are cheap. Honda notes synthetic is OK but keep the same service intervals. No need to dump what the dealer used, Walmart oil is good enough.

We all have our own favorite engine oils to include "whatever Walmart has on sale." Oil advertising costs millions of dollars and I expect much of it is hype. I have no idea what oil was in my engine when I bought the car 3 years ago other than the CarFAX showed the service was at Sears (!) and the filter was orange. This stuff came out and a S2000 oil filter fitted. I've run Royal Purple pure synthetic 10W-30 since then with two clean oil analyses showing below normal wear. $10 Amazon Honda oil filter wrench has a 3/8" socket for torquing.

I'd be more concerned about what the dealer has been using in the differential. There is no "Honda" product for that. Needs hypoid GL5/GL6 gear oil, not Honda differential oil.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 04-22-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:33 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
There was "special" motor oil in the engine when it left the factory 17 years ago that should not have been changed for the first X-thousand miles or so but I bet that period was long ago. Spec remains 10W-30 or 5W-40. No reason to anguish about either. Dino or synthetic makes no difference but synthetics offer better flow in cold engines and in the grand scheme of things are cheap. Honda notes synthetic is OK but keep the same service intervals. No need to dump what the dealer used, Walmart oil is good enough.

We all have our own favorite engine oils to include "whatever Walmart has on sale." Oil advertising costs millions of dollars and I expect much of it is hype. I have no idea what oil was in my engine when I bought the car 3 years ago other than the CarFAX showed the service was at Sears (!) and the filter was orange. This stuff came out and a S2000 oil filter fitted. I've run Royal Purple pure synthetic 10W-30 since then with two clean oil analyses showing below normal wear. $10 Amazon Honda oil filter wrench has a 3/8" socket for torquing.

I'd be more concerned about what the dealer has been using in the differential. There is no "Honda" product for that. Needs hypoid GL5/GL6 gear oil, not Honda differential oil.

-- Chuck

I'm not trying to bust your chops, but I find it interesting that you state "Dino or synthetic makes no difference" and "No need to dump what the dealer used, Walmart oil is good enough"

Yet you only run Royal Purple pure synthetic 10W-30 in your car.

Walmart 10w-30 conventional is $11.44 for a 5 quart jug, Royal Purple is over 3 times the cost at $37.97

Why isn't the advice you give others good enough for you ??

Old 04-24-2017, 09:06 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Because he likes R/P, no big deal. I use 10/40 in my '06 and have done so for 125k miles with a filter more than twice the size of the Honda filter. We all have our favorite oil but I would not hesitate to use W/M oil if I had to change the oil while on vacation.
This is what I'd use.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-...Quart/16474424
I'd even use a 15/40 HDEO in the summer. Some graet oils in that weight

ROD
Old 04-24-2017, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm confused; there was no "special grade" oil for the s2000.

Iirc, Honda never recommended a specific oil (other than their own) until the 1st gen RDX (Mobil 1).

I can't figure out if you're upset because they discontinued this non-existent oil, or if this is sarcasm regarding the idiocy of what they said.

Regarding oil, I use Castrol Edge based on the single fact that my AP1 seems to like it (doesn't chug it). Other than that, most oils are alright.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:10 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I personally use Castrol Edge myself (black jug)
No complaints.. @ 10W30 with Honda OEM filter, changed every 8000 miles.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

I think it'd be awesome to know what type of oil everyone is using.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:47 PM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Any in-spec engine you choose is fine and we all have our favorites including "what's on sale at Walmart this week." I'm using Royal Purple just 'cuz. Anything you choose is fine.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: S2000 motor oil discontinued?