UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Track day questions

Old 04-25-2017, 01:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Track day questions

Hi all
looking to book my first track day very soon. well, that's if my car passes the db test which gets me on to my first question.
do they have any different rules on db test for vtec engines? i have quite a loud exhaust and am worried it may not pass if I have to rev it up too much.
can I go round the track with my roof down? I don't have a hard top and driving at speeds doesn't fill me with confidence
helmets? do I need a full face with convertible?
is there anything else I should be wary about, any other advice from seasoned track veterans?
Thanks
Old 04-25-2017, 01:54 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by FreshDonny
Hi all
looking to book my first track day very soon. well, that's if my car passes the db test which gets me on to my first question.
do they have any different rules on db test for vtec engines? i have quite a loud exhaust and am worried it may not pass if I have to rev it up too much.
No different, so you will have to rev it to around 7k for the noise test (they "may" do it to 6k if the tester is not familiar with the car, but they normally take a look at the rev counter and see the redline and apply an arbitrary point to go to based on that).

can I go round the track with my roof down? I don't have a hard top and driving at speeds doesn't fill me with confidence
Yes you can, but see below.

helmets? do I need a full face with convertible?
You will need a full face helmet if you run with the roof down, but can use an open face with the roof up.

is there anything else I should be wary about, any other advice from seasoned track veterans?
Thanks
Watch the brakes, if you are using standard pads / fluid, the pads will be worn out before the end of the day if the track has any high speed braking areas (from 110-125mph to 40-50mph). The fluid is also likely to boil and give you a fright with the pedal going to the floor. Keep tyre pressures around 32psi HOT, which will mean letting air out of them after each session until they stabilise (don't forget to pump them back up at the end of the day). The torsen diff is quite snappy when it unlocks so be careful how you come off the throttle.

Most importantly, build up speed progressively and keep your eye on your mirror and pull over for faster cars so as not to spoil their day . Enjoy - the S2000 is a hoot on track.
The following users liked this post:
FreshDonny (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 01:59 AM

great, thanks.

I know my S is loud but im sure there's others out there louder. has anyone had any noise issues before?
what happens if you go over the sound barrier? will they just refuse entry?
Old 04-25-2017, 02:06 AM

great, thanks.

I know my S is loud but im sure there's others out there louder. has anyone had any noise issues before?
what happens if you go over the sound barrier? will they just refuse entry?
What track is it? Some have VERY strict policies that are very rigidly enforced, where others, if you are marginal (on the static test) will let go out to see if you trip the drive-by ones. It usually depends on how far over the static test you are.

I took my CSL to Bedford last year and it has a full Supersprint sytem, which was 104dB static and they just laughed and wouldn't even consider letting me out......
Old 04-25-2017, 02:20 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike RT4
What track is it? Some have VERY strict policies that are very rigidly enforced, where others, if you are marginal (on the static test) will let go out to see if you trip the drive-by ones. It usually depends on how far over the static test you are.

I took my CSL to Bedford last year and it has a full Supersprint sytem, which was 104dB static and they just laughed and wouldn't even consider letting me out......
CSL...
Old 04-25-2017, 03:05 AM

I think it is bedford that we're looking at 101dB limit... :/
Old 04-25-2017, 03:29 AM

I think it is bedford that we're looking at 101dB limit... :/
That is the static limit. Use the noise meter on your phone as a gauge = 0.5m above ground level and 0.5m away from the exhaust at a 45° angle and 3/4 rpm (6750). If it is way over like my CSL was, then you will just be turned away (every 2 dB is approximately equivalent to doubling the noise level).

Even if it passes the static test, if it trips the drive-by one, then they throw you off - they will give you a warning if you start to get within half a decibel, but if it trips excessively, it's game over.

HOWEVER, if you note where the noise meters are (there are 3 - 4 dotted around the track, depending on circuit lay-out used), you can avoid WOT at these points and get away with not tripping them (even if you are actually over the noise limit in reality), as they are only interested in what shows up on the meters.... I took my CSL there hoping to get on so I could do that, but I didn't even get that far LOL.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a warning at Bedford with my mugen exhaust and it's one of the quiet ones for the s2000!
Old 04-25-2017, 03:58 AM

As an aside, my S2000 with Japspeed resonated de-cat and 25mm UK exhaust mod is 94dB (static).
Old 04-25-2017, 04:13 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Roof up if you want less drag but roof down is great fun. My static tests have been at 4500rpm but each is different I suppose. I hit 94db usually. I have seen stewards pulling drivers based on drive by readings (which isn't fair game in my book).

Most of all, have fun.

Quick Reply: Track day questions