UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

help! broken down with missfires!

Old 04-26-2017, 01:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help! broken down with missfires!

I'm Sat on the side of the road waiting for an AA tow truck.

Was driving normally and noticed a missfire, which suddenly got worse and then I got a flashing CEL.

Pulled over and saw that the oil cap had come off! There was a fair amount of oil over the top of the engine but I found the cap behind the block and put it back.

Put it back on but still very rough idle and flashing CEL

AA have been and plugged in the diagnostics and showing missfires on all cylinders and missfires on multiple cylinders. Oil level was fine.

They cleaned up the oil covered plugs and connectors on the top of the motor and reset the ecu but its still got a single error code of 'multiple cylinder misfire' so now I'm getting it towed back to a garage where I recently had some work done.

Other info is:
It had a new knock sensor a couple of weeks ago.
And an oil change.

Any idea lol?
Old 04-26-2017, 01:24 AM

Received 621 Likes on 543 Posts

I think the oil cap coming off will create mess but no damage, however oil may have got in around your coil packs?

Unless the cap coming off is a symptom of excessive blow by...

i'm always paranoid that the last change caused the issue.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:15 AM

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

The coil packs are sealed and also the coil cover should* prevent oil leaking in.

Do you know the codes that it was reporting, it could be unfortunate/rare that a couple of coil packs have let go at the same time. When were the plugs last changed?
Old 04-26-2017, 03:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be impressed if excess blow by blew off the cap. More likely to push the dipstick out or similar.
How long/how many starts (heat up/cool down cycles) since the cap was last touched?
Its possible the oil has got into/around the spark plugs or the wire harness connections on the coils.
All from memory and a related part (made by Denso but not for S2000) I investigated years ago. The dust seal around around the coil and head cover isn't water/oil tight. Particularly if you heat cycle the engine air is pushed out of the plug tube when hot and then draws in fluid as it cools.
In this case it could have pulled oil into the tube and caused some sort of earthing/connection issue
Old 04-26-2017, 04:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear of your woes Shizzle

I can only add to what others have suggested - Either oil has worked it's way into the coilpack / something to do with the ignition system, or you're really unlucky and a couple of coil packs have gone at the same time. I'd be surprised if the work the garage last did was related.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your g101 ground on the back of the head. Its a 10mm bolt, make sure its tight. As others have mentioned try checking and cleaning your plugs and check all connectors.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:20 AM

This is a snap of the diagnostic.

Not much help.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:29 AM

It's with the garage now being looked at,

I am so annoyed - i literally got i back from the garage two weeks ago and spent £1900 on it.

Is there any market for a s2000 with no engine? What's a rolling shell with all ancillaries worth? If the worst comes to the worst I haven't got the time or the skill to do an engine swap.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think we need a device like the js racing oil filter thing to keep our oil caps tight, I've heard of this happening a few times now, plus when I removed my own engine/gearbox I found an oil cap sat on top of the gearbox? Unless someone dropped it down there of course?
Old 04-26-2017, 08:52 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

When I had those codes, the plug gaps were over.

It had caused one of the coil pack to go down and another was going a bit dodgy.

It might just be coincidence. Or oil ingression...

Quick Reply: help! broken down with missfires!