S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Cage the s2000

Old 05-24-2017, 05:23 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Cage the s2000

So for all those who have cages already in their s2000's, what do you hate and what do you love. I'm looking to get a cage put in my car and talking to some guys locally they have had some great suggestions about when getting the cage to have this or that done. All I know for sure so far is I need to fit my Sparco Circuit II seat, I want nascar bars, and it to be SCCA/NASA legal. Any pictures and suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 05-24-2017, 07:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by t-o_double_d
So for all those who have cages already in their s2000's, what do you hate and what do you love. I'm looking to get a cage put in my car and talking to some guys locally they have had some great suggestions about when getting the cage to have this or that done. All I know for sure so far is I need to fit my Sparco Circuit II seat, I want nascar bars, and it to be SCCA/NASA legal. Any pictures and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

https://goo.gl/photos/8aVgtnu8jwg2hj2o7

this is the only photo I have. The car is sitting up in Sebring, I could take some pics next time I am up there. The only complaint I might have is the bar running over the drivers window is a little "cramping" but the over all space is great. I am 6'1" 195lbs. I do not have a halo seat.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:47 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

do this https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra.../#post22409184
and more pics https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra.../#post22790324
gut the a-pillar and put the bar/foot box on the body rail not the floor. more ankle room more room in general
Old 05-24-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I think the most important area to pay attention to; is the bar left and slightly above, where your head is. Make sure to get the cage very, very tight to the hard top in that area. I'm always concerned with the very small space between the cage padding, and my helmet. This is a simple issue of the hard top angling in toward the seat, and leaving very little room in this area for the cage. In combination with this, get the seat on the floor. This will maximize room, and a safety barrier between your skull and the cage.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBarchetta
I think the most important area to pay attention to; is the bar left and slightly above, where your head is. Make sure to get the cage very, very tight to the hard top in that area. I'm always concerned with the very small space between the cage padding, and my helmet. This is a simple issue of the hard top angling in toward the seat, and leaving very little room in this area for the cage. In combination with this, get the seat on the floor. This will maximize room, and a safety barrier between your skull and the cage.
Do you have a problem shifting with the seat really low? I've been thinking of putting a race seat and rollbar in mine, but I can't decide if the width and height of the center tunnel will make elbow positioning akward when shifting from a really low seat.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBarchetta
Yes all i know is the seat rails i have now will not work when i do put in a full cage.... i will run the car with my roll bar in tt next weekend still but will need to do something with the seat and get it a hell of a lot lower. i sat on the floor before with my old seat and got used to shifting and everything so I won't be worried about that.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jah29
Do you have a problem shifting with the seat really low? I've been thinking of putting a race seat and rollbar in mine, but I can't decide if the width and height of the center tunnel will make elbow positioning akward when shifting from a really low seat.
te farther you go with race prep, the more awkward the whole thing gets. The adrenaline will take your mind off of it. I shared a seat in a chump car that put my shins agains the crossbar, my elbows were very bent and it was really hard to straighten my arms after a 24 hour event, the shifter took wrist to throw into 2nd and 4th because it was behind me. You couldn't see anything in the mirrors With the window net and halo seat......

the point is is very few cars get better, or stay nearly the same in comfort or visibility once you go that direction.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
do this https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra.../#post22409184
and more pics https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra.../#post22790324
gut the a-pillar and put the bar/foot box on the body rail not the floor. more ankle room more room in general
Its a great idea but I'll just add to this thread that my cage builder was unwilling to do such aggressive cutting into the A plrs for safety reasons. The extra material does leave some crumple zone to absorb energy before being sent throughout the cage structure and he wasnt willing to put his name on something that on the edge.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a quick album of my cage: nasa cage - Album on Imgur
Old 05-24-2017, 09:39 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Exactly what blue said. I'm 6 feet and my seat touches the floor and my helmet touches the top left bar when I'm slid back. I have the cusco cage ( for now) but my entire team has the welded in one. Down side is if ur tall like me, it's a pita to get out with the side x bars. Other than that it's all positives. Don't go cheap on safety and do it right the first time. Learned that the hard way.

Quick Reply: Cage the s2000