UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Summer refresh for the old girl.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Summer refresh for the old girl.

109k miles and it's alive again. Top work by my usual mechanic and he is as ever, well recommended.

New full OEM clutch and both bearings.
Rear hard brake lines replaced.
Suspension re-grease.
Steering rack UJ replaced.
New cam cover gasket, one new plug seal - old one had cracked and oil had leaked in.
Valvetrain service and adjustment, exhaust and inlet all out of spec - not surprising given the lack of love it has had..
Oil and filter.
New auxiliary drive belt.

Just the drivers door outer weatherseal to replace now.

Drives like new, sounds like new. Aygo is getting mothballed for the summer and i'm going to split my commute / pleasure between this and the motorbike. Hell, after this, i might even wash and wax it.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi UF who is your mechanic? Mine is due service etc and live in your neck of the woods so any recommendations are appreciated. Always go to Nortonway for servicing but always think hmm what about a decent independent! Cheers rich
Old 05-24-2017, 09:30 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Wash and Wax ! Where's UF and what have you done with him ??
Old 05-24-2017, 11:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What bike you got unclefester?
Old 05-25-2017, 02:44 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Did you notice a difference with the new steering rack UJ? How bad was the old one?
Old 05-25-2017, 05:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wash and Wax definitely adds +10 BHP
Old 05-25-2017, 07:30 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

+ 1 on the steering UJ query, where id you get it from, Honda? mine is a bit corroded and probably quite important to keep in a decent condition
Old 05-25-2017, 10:12 AM

Honda - i paid UK prices but meh .. it's had so little work over the years i don't mind the cost. My mechanic is the local favourite - I've been using him for years as have more than a few others on here, keen prices, good service AND knowledgeable as he's a former Honda master tech.

You can contact him via facebook, just look for Autotech Studio in Salford.

Bike is an old 1994 CB500 with some bright LED on it and a short exhaust. It's not new, it's not shiny but it's fun to ride and it owes me nothing. Weirdly, out of the 3 vehicles i own, that's the one that is most likely to be replaced with something new. Street Triple 765 RS is the current favourite.
The following users liked this post:
Richie2garage (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 11:31 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

We're entering a phase with these cars where they're getting to need a bit of TLC and i quite like it, the fact people are looking after them (like in the arches thread) rather than giving up the ghost

you could scrambler that cb i also love the uber cool bikes knocking about atm and am sorely tempted to
pick up a project. The BiL did a bobber this year (and last).

i'll get some pics up when i'm next over there. Its too chop for me but very nice

anyway, back OT, great work!
Old 05-25-2017, 11:44 AM

Honestly i do not know what i'd replace it with. I've looked .... it's pointless looking further. I love driving it, I love the way it drives and I love the way it sounds - nothing modern can replace that. God knows I've tried to get rid of it, I've threatened to sell it, the reality clearly is that I'm keeping it. New hood next and a wheel refurbish that I've also been threatening it with. Then some new seat covers from GoTuning ... and that's it. Arches on mine are rust free inside and out - this summer i'll strip out all the old stoneguard stuff and replace it with new after a wire brush. The stone guard spray comes with built in rust inhibitor.

By comparison, modern motorbikes are good, reliable and relatively cheap. £10k buys you all you'd ever need and then some, the car market is not like that.

Quick Reply: Summer refresh for the old girl.