S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Never ending noise!!! Need experienced input !

Old 05-25-2017, 05:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Never ending noise!!! Need experienced input !

Alright guys so I am not gonna bullshit, I was handling the s2000 pretty harsh last month 120mph on a dead freeway i ease off and get off the ramp to hearing this "rattling/grinding" noise from the tranny which started off faint then settled into a LOUD mess adding a "clicking feel here and there(bind feeling)." The car now sounds almost like a loud throwout bearing that dried up and is shot! But all gears go in smoothly, besides the slight binding as i mentioned, also when i depress the clutch the sound goes away but when i release, damn.....

Thinkin it was the throwout/thrust bearing, I pieced together an order with a ACT HD pressure plate/OEM disc/OEM thrust bearing and went in to grab Honda High temp grease for the parts.... So its game time when they arrived, dropped subframe - blah blah - then I had the tranny off, honestly do not know what to say about the clutch im removing. disc is fine however its BLUE from heat i assume? yes and oem. replaced not even that long ago.. Throwout bearing is kinda screwed up but doesnt bind or wobble. Lightened flywheel has no signs of hot spots or anything. Went on to replace everything torqued the pressure plate to spec greased throwout/fork and input which is where i noticed it doesnt have a free rotation while spinning the input shaft by hand, it kinda binds and i have to use a bit of muscle to turn it.. The biggest mistake i did in awhile was ignore it then put the tranny back on and all that eager to get the car off my buddys driveway and shake the 80 degree weather...

Now thinkin all that pain in the ass work was worth it to fix the problem, turned the car on and let off the clutch - the damn sound is STILL THERE!!! smh... So right now im in a sticky situation with $600 less with the same problem and defiantly need to make the next move a right one.

Noise seems to be obviously around the shifter area and is not coming from the block.
The car does go in every gear and is able to move so the clutch was installed right.
Output shaft spun free like it should..

I spent $600 on a clutch setup and it did not fix the problem lol, either way new clutch is always good but working on the ground sucks no lift and it aint no walk in the park like with a b series or anything.
I am a self taught honda enthusiast that never brought anything to a shop(besides machining) and i do all the work myself. Before my s2000 I had a integra, so i am still pretty much learning respectfully on my s2000 as i go

The work sucks on my body lol, but i am not hesitant to fix this problem no matter how hard it is, defiantly dont want to throw cash away like i did on the clutch but before the 2nd round of removing the tranny. I am just hoping with this post someone can shoot me into the right direction, please...

- My plan.... Get a new tranny... but you never know!

Spec - 2002 AP1 shell w/ 04 AP2 swap ~ 80k regular fluid changes.
dont think bolt ons would be necessary to mention?.

The car is at a friends house if a video of the sound would help i can get a recording. But yea in all, im in a sticky situation and seeing whats up with s2ki!! Wouldnt have the inspiration without this forum!

Last edited by Slammed_AP2; 05-26-2017 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Images
Old 05-25-2017, 06:53 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Video of the noise would be helpful.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:36 AM

I can get a video a bit later today thanks for your reply though!
Old 05-25-2017, 05:56 PM

Alright had my friend take a video and record !

Old 05-25-2017, 06:08 PM

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts

This car was built to be driven, so rompin on it from time to time is only natural. Have you checked the tramsmission fluid for metal shavings? Could be telling and it's free.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:42 PM

Yuup thats what i am talkin about!

Nope haven't checked for metal shavings however, I am sure there is metal shavings though. Been researching more into it and symptoms kinda brings me to secondary shaft bearing is shot. But then again doesn't explain how the noise stops when the clutch is pressed..

I have input on a AP1 transmission for $500 waiting to get picked up but dont really want to settle for a AP1 at this moment, but either way i think a new tranny would fix it for now and just learn and rebuild off the ap2.. Just dont want to hit another financial mistake after the first start!
Old 05-26-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

The upside is you can always sell the trans for what you paid for it if it turns out its not that.

If it is the trans, you can rebuild your old one, at your leisure, while driving your car with the used trans. Then swap your rebuilt trans back in, and sell the used trans then, again, for what you paid for it.

So really no way to lose buying the used trans. Go for it.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:08 PM

Yeah always got to start somewhere lol its a go on the tranny then but what are the chances of the sound being there still? Lol highly doubt it but that would be pretty messed up haha
Old 05-26-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Ur input or output shaft bearing is destroyed.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts

Yeah, I didn't want to be negative but it seems like something in your transmission is fckt.

Quick Reply: Never ending noise!!! Need experienced input !