S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Trying to figure whats wrong, help needed!

Old 05-25-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to figure whats wrong, help needed!

Got a ap1 boosted, and im trying to figure if head gasket, valve seal, or rings went out before i make any major plans on building it! Dont want to build it if not necessary! Was pushing the car to about 8k rpm than suddenly big cloud of smoke 'oil burning' had misfire turned engine off and tried turning it on again and engine was really hard to start up! Only cyclinder 1 had oil on the plug all the rest were fine! Now im just trying to figure out whats wrong seeing if i should just do valve seal and hope its that or is there any way to test if its rings or hg? Took of some of my ic pipe and no oil in it, but my waste gate had oil coming out of it.

Last edited by BoostAlong; 05-25-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:46 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Do or have a compression test and leak down done. That should tell you if it is the top end or bottom.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:53 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Yep, and doubt its valve seal. They typically don't just suddenly go out in this scenario. I'm guessing a ring land let go. Which means your cylinder is scored and either sleeving the motor or replacement is your options moving forward. But get a scope and inspect the bore, or if you don't have access to one do the comp and leakdown test.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Do or have a compression test and leak down done. That should tell you if it is the top end or bottom.
will try that did a compression test before i stored it away it was 180 all across and only drove it 3 times since it came out of storage before this happened
Old 05-25-2017, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Yep, and doubt its valve seal. They typically don't just suddenly go out in this scenario. I'm guessing a ring land let go. Which means your cylinder is scored and either sleeving the motor or replacement is your options moving forward. But get a scope and inspect the bore, or if you don't have access to one do the comp and leakdown test.
damn that sucks lol...and also my car smokes from time to time from driving and coming to dead stop and idle and sometimes on start up, not sure if thatll make a difference in knowin but ill probably just do a leakdown test later :'( and one question if it was a ring wouldnt oil be in my intercooler piping? Just a thought
Old 05-25-2017, 12:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostAlong
damn that sucks lol...and also my car smokes from time to time from driving and coming to dead stop and idle and sometimes on start up, not sure if thatll make a difference in knowin but ill probably just do a leakdown test later :'( and one question if it was a ring wouldnt oil be in my intercooler piping? Just a thought
How would oil get from the combustion chamber to the intercooler? Unless the induction tract flowed backward there is no way.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by jwzimm
How would oil get from the combustion chamber to the intercooler? Unless the induction tract flowed backward there is no way.
What I'm not understanding is, oil in wastegate so pretty much i got oil in my turbo mani. Wouldnt that oil get sucked into turbo blowing it back into pipe? Maybe im just not making any sense. Or im just over thinking atm
Old 05-25-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 403 Likes on 338 Posts

Maybe a seal in your turbo?
Old 05-25-2017, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Maybe a seal in your turbo?
cant be since only oil in cylinder #1 on spark plug just took off vc and seals are good on it....
Old 05-25-2017, 07:21 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Ahhh, I think you have bigger issues. But yeah, hope the bearing in the turbo didnt get washed as well. Looking at the mud soup and what looks like water droplets mixed in, my first though is blown HG. But im not as privy to what E85 looks like mixed in with engine oil. What im seeing and hearing so far though, you have engine damage, with best case scenario being a HG, and worst your cyl #1 is down and possibly damage to your turbo as well. It could just be blow by from your cylinder thats down though, and turbo is ok. You wont really know until you clean it up and start examining things.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 05-25-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Trying to figure whats wrong, help needed!