S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What Memorial day means to me.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:25 PM

Received 1,178 Likes on 906 Posts
Default What Memorial day means to me.

I was an F4C pilot in the AF.

My dad was a B17 lower ball turret gunner over Germany during WW2. He flew many missions over Germany. When he died, at the cemetery, I was given the American flag that was draped over his casket just after he was lowered into the ground. I hang that flag in front of our garage door every Memorial Day and Fourth of July.

My uncle George, whom I was named after, was killed at Tarawa in WW2. He was in a foxhole with a bunch of Marines and the Japanese lobbed a grenade in the foxhole. He jumped on it and saved all his buddies. He was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously.

Last edited by The Raptor; 05-28-2017 at 04:14 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:28 AM

Received 695 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by The Raptor
I was an F4C pilot in the AF.

My dad was a B17 lower ball turret gunner over Germany during WW2. He flew many missions over Germany. When he died, at the cemetery, I was given the American flag that was draped over his casket just after he was lowered into the ground. I hang that flag in front of our garage door every Memorial Day and Fourth of July.

My uncle George, whom I was named after, was killed at Tarawa in WW2. He was in a foxhole with a bunch of Marines and the Japanese lobbed a grenade in the foxhole. He jumped on it and saved all his buddies. He was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously.
Your uncle George, a true hero, and many others who made the ultimate sacrifice is what Memorial Day means to me. God Bless all of them and may they RIP. We will be honoring all of them at a special ceremony at our club today.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Never forget........

Old 05-28-2017, 08:09 AM

Received 1,552 Likes on 921 Posts

Growing up as a Navy brat in a Navy town, Coronado California, five of my buddies had their naval aviator father perish in the Vietnam war.

Uncle of mine had his uncle die in Custer's last stand. That uncle served in the army in Europe during the Great War and transferred over to the Navy. Was on the USS California during Pearl Harbor. Two other uncles from my mother's side were both Naval Aviators. One died on duty in 52, the other, 94 died last month. He retired as an Admiral, Navy Cross, three confirmed Japanese kills, two unconfirmed.

My father, class of 33, commanded two squadrons in the Pacific WWII. Silver Star. Found and rescued Eddie Rickenbacker. Have the original photographs. Went from biplanes to jets.

I followed along as a Naval Aviator and flew A7Es. Retired but managed to stay alive as you can see.

I will never forget the ultimate sacrifice so many have made for this country. May God grant them pardon and peace.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 1,423 Likes on 954 Posts

Nice to hear all these stories of ordinary men, doing extraordinary things. Great-uncle was up'ed to MHO from DSC for his contribution in Italy, in WW2. During the terrible battles for those summits in Italy.

He NEVER talked about it to any of us. Only when a few of his old friends got together and had a few beers --- you'd hear Army lingo. Really, had no idea what he did in the war, until I read about it later... on websites (after he had become disabled.)

Remembering all those that died to serve this country is so important. If anything, to help us from getting into too many of these situations.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:52 AM

Received 4,921 Likes on 2,984 Posts

Nothing heroic for me, an Airman 1st in France during peacetime but I have lots of relatives I am very proud of.

Uncle
WWII, Infantry Sargent in the US Army who was killed in action shortly after the D-day invasion on 11 July 1944 in an assault on a German machine gun nest near St. Lo, France. He was 28 years old.

Father-in-Law
WWII, during his nearly 5 years in the US Army he was a stretcher-bearer for 3-1/2 years during the invasion of Italy and Africa. He suffered chronic post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) the rest of his life.

Father
WWII, Pharmacists Mate 3rd class and hospital corpsman in the US Navy

Cousins who served
- WWII, Soundman on a minesweeper in US Navy
- WWII, Ensign in US Navy
- Korean War, Corporal in Army National Guard, called to duty in 1950
- Electricians mate master chief in US Naval Reserve
- US Army from 1953 to 1955
- Vietnam War, Lieutenant Commander in US Navy. Highly decorated Annapolis graduate with two tours in Vietnam. Awarded Bronze Star, the Purple Heart, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, and Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal.
- Vietnam War, 1st Lieutenant in Marines; National Defense Service Medal
- Vietnam War, Nurse in Army Nurse Corps based in Pleiku. As reported years later in a Pittsburgh newspaper story, much of her time was spent in the emergency room being the first to see and treat the casualties during the time of some of the fiercest fighting, including the battle of Doc Tho and the Tet offensive. At one point, her base was attacked and communications to the outside world were entirely cut off for three days.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

Memorial Day ain't about veterans or you or me. It's not about dead veterans either. Don't dilute the meaning. Veterans (including dead veterans) have their own, much less meaningful day.

-- Chuck
Old 05-28-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

My father and three of his brothers, Army, all served in Europe in WWII following Normandy.
My uncle Tom, Army, led his troops onto the beach in Normandy and he died there.
My uncle Lou, Navy, was shot down over the Atlantic and spent 9 days wounded at sea.
My cousins Joey, Tony and Peter were all Marines and we were all in Vietnam together in 1966-1967. Joey made three more tours in VN and rose to Commander, 3rd Battalion, 7th Marines. He was wounded in each of his tours, received numerous combat medals and after decommissioning headed the Vietnam Veterans Association liaison office in Revere, MA until his early death. I was actually able to visit with Tony and Joey while I was in Vietnam. Each Memorial Day, several of Joey's fellow officers gather at his grave from around the country with his surviving sister. I'll be there myself next week. I visit him each spring.

My Uncles Lou Servizio and Tom Sciaraffa at the last time they were together in the North End of Boston.

My Dad, me and mom, the day he returned home from Europe.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 695 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Memorial Day ain't about veterans or you or me. It's not about dead veterans either. Don't dilute the meaning. Veterans (including dead veterans) have their own, much less meaningful day.

-- Chuck
WTF are you talking about. "It's not about dead veterans", then tell us what the f--k it is about.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

Another grade school drop out? Obviously wasn't paying attention. Heck, even Wiki knows better. Memorial Day is to honor those killed in the nations wars, not those who merely served.

All gave some. Some gave all. It's about those who gave all.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: What Memorial day means to me.