S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Testing out G-loc brake pads

Old 06-04-2017, 09:01 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Arrow Testing out G-loc brake pads

Hello everyone. I will be testing out a new Batch of gloc pads for anyone who is curious.

I will compare them to hawk DTC-60, wilwood A, and other pads.

I will give my honest opinions on the pads.

I will be testing out the R-16 and R-18 compounds.

The testing will commence this coming weekend at buttonwillow raceway cw13

i am running rs3 and Nt01.

Any questions that you might have I can help you out with. If you want me to test out a specific compound, I would be willing to do that also.

Happy racing.
The following users liked this post:
RedCelica (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 04:20 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

cant wait
Old 06-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

I'm considering running R16 up front and R12 in rear which was recommended to me. Curious to see how these perform. I'm running Stoptech STR40 front calipers and stock rears.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:50 PM

Alright just got the pads and I wanted to do some first impressions.

First and foremost, talking to Danny was super cool. From one engineer to another, we talked a great deal on the compound break down and the versatility of each pad. Danny is a super cool dude and his customer service is spot on.

I recived the pads on a timely fashion , about 5 days from NC to CA.

The boxes are nice, sturdy, and artwork is pretty.

The pads are color coated. I have had many times where the serial codes of previous pads have rubbed off and I cannot tell which pad it is. Having the pad color coated is super smart as changing the pads would be easy and u can keep all the pads in the same box without mixing up the compounds. The lime green is the r 18 pad and the gold is the r 16 pad.

The only down side I saw was a little over spray on the pad compound. I'm just nitpicking here and this would never do anything to the pad itself but I'm just putting it out there.

Also the pad surface area is 1-2% more than my previous pad. My previous pad curved on the inside but the g loc are straight

im running the wilwood dynalite calipers and the change was super easy.

Iv installed the r16 pads and currently have the hawk hp+ in rear.

stay tuned.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:00 AM

Track day over.

Unfortunately my tranny blew after a couple of sessions at buttonwillow.

I didnt get a chance to test out the r 18 compound.

But I got a real good feel for the r 16

the r 16 is best compared to the wilwood compound A. the bite and the durability is like the compound a. Personally I felt better modulation with the r16 and my rotors wear more evenly. Also it's hard to justify the full potential of the r16 as I had brake boil on ate super gold.

Hopefully il be out Next year testing out the pads more.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:00 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
Track day over.

Unfortunately my tranny blew after a couple of sessions at buttonwillow.

I didnt get a chance to test out the r 18 compound.

But I got a real good feel for the r 16

the r 16 is best compared to the wilwood compound A. the bite and the durability is like the compound a. Personally I felt better modulation with the r16 and my rotors wear more evenly. Also it's hard to justify the full potential of the r16 as I had brake boil on ate super gold.

Hopefully il be out Next year testing out the pads more.
so you boiled your fluid with the r16? Are you on stock brakes or bbk? Any Venting?

I'm running full front/rear venting and BBK trophy, with rbf660 and ss lines. If I have brake boil over again this year after all this Im going to be pretty bummed as I don't know what else left there is to do! I'm trying to decide between r12 or r16, or combo of both 16f 12r. R18 seems off the map to me.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 06-11-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:15 PM

I have the wilwood dynalite kit. Front vent only. The main reason I have boil is because of my old ate fluid. With the rbf fluid you should be solid with the r16. I say go with the r16 r12 combo since ur on big tires. What tires r u on btw? The r16 compares to the dtc60 by having having more bite and modulation. But it dosent have any dust near to the dtc60.
also my brake bias is messed up. Running hawk hp+ in the rear really puts all the work in front r16. I think with the r12 rear you will be set.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Community Organizer

I have the wilwood dynalite kit. Front vent only. The main reason I have boil is because of my old ate fluid. With the rbf fluid you should be solid with the r16. I say go with the r16 r12 combo since ur on big tires. What tires r u on btw? The r16 compares to the dtc60 by having having more bite and modulation. But it dosent have any dust near to the dtc60.
also my brake bias is messed up. Running hawk hp+ in the rear really puts all the work in front r16. I think with the r12 rear you will be set.
NT05 275/315 stagger.

The G-Loc sponsor recommended 16F 12R as well, but i'm still unclear how biasing the brake compound is advantageous. Wish someone could explain that in more depth. Seems like you would want a consistent bite and feel with the same heat range spectrum front and back on an otherwise balanced braking system. I'm running a near identical tire width bias as stock and the Stoptech BBK is balanced to factory rear brakes so there is little to no bias change there either.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:39 PM

The bias is based on the tire , front pad and rear pad and fluid. Say u are rocking nt05 ( soft tire) and u go with the r 16 in front. U need something in the rear to balance out ur braking. Say u go oem rear pads and r16 front, u r gana have tons on front brake power and the rear not so much. And if u have oem pads in front and r16 rear, it's the same thing but vise Versa. I would say u can easy Handle the r16 r12 setup as ur tires are massive. My tires are 255 square rs3.

Btw no heating is required for the r16. Slap them on and slam on the breaks.

The Wilwood A started to delaminat after 50% of the pad left. Hopefully the gloc will not have this problem but only time will tell.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:33 PM
Community Organizer

The bias is based on the tire , front pad and rear pad and fluid. Say u are rocking nt05 ( soft tire) and u go with the r 16 in front. U need something in the rear to balance out ur braking. Say u go oem rear pads and r16 front, u r gana have tons on front brake power and the rear not so much. And if u have oem pads in front and r16 rear, it's the same thing but vise Versa. I would say u can easy Handle the r16 r12 setup as ur tires are massive. My tires are 255 square rs3.

Btw no heating is required for the r16. Slap them on and slam on the breaks.

The Wilwood A started to delaminat after 50% of the pad left. Hopefully the gloc will not have this problem but only time will tell.
Let me put it this way. Why would I not want to run R16 all around? Why would a lessor pad in the rear be better for my set up? With all else the same, I could see running a lessor pad in the rear (Maybe?) with a non stag tire set up. But im running a stock biased tire stagger. Are the OEM pad compounds staggered?

I made the mistake of running HP+ in the past thinking I would be able to use these dual duty street/track. Unfortunately they are compromised in both environments. So now i'm looking for for a dedicated track pad. Sticking to OEM/Stoptech pads for the street. I miss the bite of the HP+ on the street, but not all the dust and noise and increased rotor wear.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 06-11-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Testing out G-loc brake pads