S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Switched to classic car insurance

Old 07-22-2017, 06:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Switched to classic car insurance

I wasn't specifically looking for it for this car, but while shopping for insurance for my E46 M3 i asked for a quote with the S2000 included and it was reasonable. My driving habits also changed. Since i've started driving my daughter to daycare each morning and going to work after, the S2000 is just a leisure car and it made sense to switch. Here are some pertinent details:

Value of the car agreed at $16,000
No cap on annual mileage.
Can drive it anywhere there is a car enthusiast gathering.
Can drive it for leisure, but no errands and not to work.
Cut my insurance costs by half (I previously had State Farm), but have to have DDs with full insurance policy for every eligible household driver
Insurance is through Grundy.

Anyone else have a classic car insurance policy?

EDIT for ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Coverage is 300k/accident, 500 deductible
$250/year for the S2000 but i have another car on the policy
Located in a town of 100,000

Last edited by importluva; 07-24-2017 at 02:48 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:42 AM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

I have looked on and off for some time. Have had several quotes for the agreed value of my 09 of $27K. Actually less than regular policy with USAA. I have 3 other vehicles and I don't "commute" to work like other people may but the big sticking point was staying overnight at a hotel or B&B someplace. Verboten. You have to be going to some kind of "enthusiasts" gathering as you mentioned.

My S is indeed a leisure/fun car to drive but I like to take it for weekend get aways with the bride. Still looking.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Actual numbers would be helpful in this thread.

I have a clean record and live in an expensive west coast city -- looking at $1500/year for full-coverage through AAA.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried for classic insurance for my Lightning and the S2000, the price was great, but the restrictions are too great. Maybe a NJ thing, I don't know. I wished it had worked out.

Both Grundy and Hagerty don't allow either of my vehicles to be driven to work, where they are parked inside within 30 feet of where I work. Things like errands, or even stopping at a convenience store while getting gas isn't allowed.

I use the S as often as possible, weather permitting, as the top is down with the tonneau on from mid March until it's put up for the winter in early to mid November. It sees maybe 5000 a year. All back roads, with a lot of curves and nice long smooth, decreasing radius and multi apex ramps.

Neither would allow the L to carry ANYTHING in the bed, it's a pickup, and once a year at most I may go to the garden center to pick up bagged fertilizer or plants. Not allowed. The L only sees 200 miles max a year.

I can't recall which one disallowed any coverage because my daily driver is too old, although I carry full coverage on my '04 Accord 6-6.

I have full coverage on all 3. Two with one insurance company and the L on another company that has my homeowner's and other insurance.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched from GEICO to Haggerty last year. I used to pay around $1000 per year for full coverage for the S2000 and I was able to get the same level of coverage for $530 per year.

The policy has an agreed upon value of $18k for my 2005 AP2. The restrictions weren't that bad (at least in my mind). No milage restrictions, communtying to work less than 6 times per year, driving to meets is ok. One thing they were pretty adamant about was that the car was parked in a garage. I've been averaging about 3k miles a year, so it works out for me.

I'm in Washington state and this was by far the lowest price I could find. Haven't had to file a claim, so I can't say about the actual protections of the policy. I hope to never have to test the coverage
Old 07-22-2017, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by importluva
I wasn't specifically looking for it for this car, but while shopping for insurance for my E46 M3 i asked for a quote with the S2000 included and it was reasonable. My driving habits also changed. Since i've started driving my daughter to daycare each morning and going to work after, the S2000 is just a leisure car and it made sense to switch. Here are some pertinent details:

Value of the car agreed at $16,000
No cap on annual mileage.
Can drive it anywhere there is a car enthusiast gathering.
Can drive it for leisure, but no errands and not to work.
Cut my insurance costs by half (I previously had State Farm), but have to have DDs with full insurance policy for every eligible household driver
Insurance is through Grundy.

Anyone else have a classic car insurance policy?
I also switched to Grundy and now only pay like $400 per year. And I live inside the Philly city limits so my insurance typically costs double what it does in the burbs. So I can only imagine how cheap it would've been if I was still living outside the city.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:45 AM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

Still, anyone know of a carrier that will allow an overnight someplace?
Old 07-23-2017, 10:45 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD
Actual numbers would be helpful in this thread.

I have a clean record and live in an expensive west coast city -- looking at $1500/year for full-coverage through AAA.
I agree (sorta) .Actual numbers make this thread worthwhile.

Staged amount value you chose
Coverage limits (full coverage means nothing besides the fact that you have liability of some sort and physical damage of some sort).

These types of threads are extremely hard to gauge a comparison because segmentation is what companies focus on and as a result, two identical people are few and far between
Old 07-24-2017, 02:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Im not sure i was intending this thread to help people compare rates, but i've edited my post to facilitate
Old 07-24-2017, 05:49 AM

I pay $726 per year, but that's for 2 cars on Hagerty. My '04 S w/~37K miles is insured for $24,000 and my '86 Alfa Romeo Graduate w/~33K miles for $15,000. Granted I have them covered a bit high, but they are both low mileage and in very good condition. They are insured for what'd take most of the "sting" out of a total loss. I'm 54 years old with a clean record and they are garaged. I don't know how much they cost individually as that isn't clear on my policy, but I'd guess about a 60/40 split so around $425/year for the S? Does this sound about with what others are paying?

Quick Reply: Switched to classic car insurance