S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

No race cars at SCCA Tracknight

Old 07-25-2017, 04:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default No race cars at SCCA Tracknight

I just got this update to the policy via email:

Track Night in America Driven by Tire Rack allows the following:
  • Road-legal production vehicles
  • Road-legal kit cars with license plates
Restrictions:
  • Vehicles must be wider than they are tall
  • Convertibles must meet certain requirements
  • Racecars, vehicles that have raced or have been constructed for racing are not allowed without a waiver
Exceptions and waivers:
  • Vehicles that would be road legal but are not because they are missing certain equipment, such as headlights, may be given permission to participate in Track Night provided the vehicle would otherwise meet requirements.
  • No vehicle will ever be excluded from Track Night due to installation of safety equipment alone.
  • Kit cars without a license plate that are an example of an equivalent vehicle that has been legally plated are allowed.
  • A vehicle that has been retired from racing and is now a street car or dedicated track car and would otherwise meet the requirements for Track Night may be granted a waiver.
  • A racecar that would otherwise meet the requirements for Track Night may be granted a waiver only if it is being used to introduce a new participant to track driving (example- “I want to get my son/daughter/spouse/crew guy on track.”). Drivers with racing licenses are strictly forbidden from operating racecars at Track Night for the purpose of testing/shaking down or other competition-related functions.
  • Should a waiver vehicle have any mechanical issues during an event, that vehicle will not be allowed back on track.

We expect that this change will have very little impact on the overall Track Night experience, other than bringing a higher level of understanding and transparency for everyone involved. As always, if you have questions please feel free to reply to this message or seek the advice of our lead factologist, Jack Track at Jack@TrackNightinAmerica.com

Looking Forward,

-hHeyward Wagner
Director of Experiential Programs Sp
Old 07-25-2017, 04:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

No instructors in cars. No tech inspection. Here's a race track, go fast .......

The no race car policy will change little, though I was with a licensed racer who used a TNiA as a shakedown last year.

Meh.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:04 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah I was talking with Tom O'Gorman about TNIA. They really don't want racers to use it as a shakedown. It is really more to bring people into the SCCA and promote a safe track day experience and caged numbered race cars making ZentRose style dive bomb passes would not go over well. #honktopass
The following 3 users liked this post by King Tut:
Chibo (07-25-2017), Ricky_Flowers_ (07-25-2017), s2000ellier (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 05:37 AM

I do love this one:

Restrictions:
  • Vehicles must be wider than they are tall

It it takes a lot of chump/LeMons car out of the picture lol
Old 07-25-2017, 11:49 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

So it sounds like racers being racers fukd it up for the racers.

If you're a racer and your organization allows you to run with DE3 or DE4 to shakedown your car then you should drive like a DE 3 or DE4 driver would. Wait for the point by and no dive bombs.

Meh.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:03 PM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Is this new? I recall reading a policy something like this a few years ago.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

its always been a no race cars thing, they just clarified the policy a little...
Old 07-25-2017, 07:05 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 07-25-2017, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by King Tut
Yeah I was talking with Tom O'Gorman about TNIA. They really don't want racers to use it as a shakedown. It is really more to bring people into the SCCA and promote a safe track day experience and caged numbered race cars making ZentRose style dive bomb passes would not go over well. #honktopass
I don't know who Tom OGorman is but if you talk to him about this can you ask him to clarify why? As somebody who has instructed...the issues usually come from the intermediates that become overly competitive with the other intermediates. Often in a newer car. So this policy leaves me puzzled...is it driven by the sponsoring vendors?

1. What is the issue - do they require less insurance to host the event in this manor? Something tells me this is not issues with racers "dive bomb passing"

i for one think that "advanced group" is just that. It "s not the cars....it's the drivers. Who would you rather share track with: a guy in a spec Miata who likely is not out there for his first rodeo or a guy in a GT500 Mustang with a pair of bitchin'driving shoes?

I am sure my region director is not going to tell me no. I am just trying to understand what's the mission here. As a person that works 50% of my weekends and has 2 young children (sports), this event served me well to test my car, bed brakes, heat cycle new tires....etc. I would think allowing newbies to see dedicated cars/drivers run in the advanced group would be in line with what NASA does.

i thought SCCA was trying to increase membership and participation. If your holding events on a road course, how does this jive with the end goal?
Old 07-26-2017, 04:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by t-o_double_d
My twitter followers must know!

Quick Reply: No race cars at SCCA Tracknight