Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Which car would you wind up with?
Golf R
27.20%
STi
8.80%
RS
24.00%
Type-R
40.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

RS or Type-R or Golf R or STi

Old 08-02-2017, 07:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RS or Type-R or Golf R or STi

I think this site finally needs a frickin poll for these cars. I have been watchin so many review and comparison videos on these cars it would be really hard to make a final decision which one to get. Let's not get too hung up on pricing, but what each car offers.

Golf R - seems to have a nice or the niecest interior, lowest power, but tuning options can alleviate that quickly.
Type-R - I still can't get over the FWD aspect of it, but imo it looks great. Interior isn't too bad and the seats look very nice. I am disappointed by the exhaust note. Probably rank 4 for me at this point.
STi - I am biased as I've had two GRs in the past and loved them. The interior in this one would be much nicer than the GR. It's a shame the engine is from the dinosaur era, but I enjoyed my GR with a stage 1/intake, sounded great. I love that you can adjust the diff and lock it. Worst interior of the bunch? Very big car compared to the others.
RS - I am not thrilled by the interior in this car either, but I have yet to see it in person compared to the STi. I don't like the air vent angle, this seems like a silly complaint but I take my AC very seriously Good exhaust note by default, from what I've seen in most reviews it is the funnest to drive. And there are complaints at the harsh ride, but I prefer a harsh ride even for daily duties, I need to feel the roads.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:41 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Golf R - honestly, this would be my choice if it weren't for a high probability of typical VW issues as the car ages. AWD, good power, great interior, understated good looks, good handling - it's a great all-around vehicle that is plenty quick enough for this segment. If I was leasing, this would be my choice - it does everything well.

STi - old motor, still ugly, not that quick except off the line, interior is still only so-so. Not interested in this car at all.

Focus RS - Plenty fast, from a launch and from a roll and it handles corners very well, so the performance is definitely there. I like the exterior styling but the interior is pretty rough. Ride is too rough for daily driving unless you have perfect roads. Overheats at the track, which makes me question its overall long-term reliability and cost of ownership. I'd lease it, perhaps, but I'd never buy it, and I'd lease the VW over the Focus all day long. I like to keep my kidneys intact...

Type R - lightest, best power-to-weight ratio, underrated engine (allegedly), very fast on track, should have Honda reliability. Yeah, it was styled by a hormonal 12-year-old boy but in person, it's not nearly as bad as I thought. This would be my choice if I was buying the car, mainly because I trust Honda more than the others.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Golf R. Might pick one up next spring. Got Cayman payments first.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Golf R - honestly, this would be my choice if it weren't for a high probability of typical VW issues as the car ages. AWD, good power, great interior, understated good looks, good handling - it's a great all-around vehicle that is plenty quick enough for this segment. If I was leasing, this would be my choice - it does everything well.

STi - old motor, still ugly, not that quick except off the line, interior is still only so-so. Not interested in this car at all.

Focus RS - Plenty fast, from a launch and from a roll and it handles corners very well, so the performance is definitely there. I like the exterior styling but the interior is pretty rough. Ride is too rough for daily driving unless you have perfect roads. Overheats at the track, which makes me question its overall long-term reliability and cost of ownership. I'd lease it, perhaps, but I'd never buy it, and I'd lease the VW over the Focus all day long. I like to keep my kidneys intact...

Type R - lightest, best power-to-weight ratio, underrated engine (allegedly), very fast on track, should have Honda reliability. Yeah, it was styled by a hormonal 12-year-old boy but in person, it's not nearly as bad as I thought. This would be my choice if I was buying the car, mainly because I trust Honda more than the others.
These were my thoughts also. I also don't know how either of them drives, but the Golf R has tons of tuning options, but I think I'd like the Honda more.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:54 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

IMO the RS is the clear choice here. More power, AWD. Golf R is nice but at only 292hp/280ft/lb it pales in comparison. CTR is fugly and the STi really no longer has the appeal the older models did and also underpowered for the money. Just a tune and air filter in the RS will put you over 400hp: http://www.automobilemag.com/news/fo...e-tune-410-hp/
Old 08-02-2017, 08:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2013 GolfR as my daily driver
and I love it. So far been very reliable.
Fun to drive, quick, great interior, good in snow etc.
Sort of the most mature car of the bunch
which I like. No wings, scoops, spoilers etc.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Focus RS, even with its pencil dick driveshaft.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy

Would you throw a tune on the Golf R during the lease?
Old 08-02-2017, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by t's2000
I have a 2013 GolfR as my daily driver
and I love it. So far been very reliable.
Fun to drive, quick, great interior, good in snow etc.
Sort of the most mature car of the bunch
which I like. No wings, scoops, spoilers etc.
Did you go with all season or straight winter tires for the snow?
Old 08-02-2017, 09:49 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by d1rtyc4r
Would you throw a tune on the Golf R during the lease?
Not sure how it works if something blows up. They'd know it was done (I think VWs latest ECUs show changes) and I'd probably be on the hook for the repairs. So no, probably not.

Quick Reply: RS or Type-R or Golf R or STi