S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

If you were in the market for an S2K what would you tell me?

Old 08-17-2017, 04:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If you were in the market for an S2K what would you tell me?

Greetings guys/gals. I had an 04 GPW with black/red interior back in 2013 and I sold it. I always lurked the forums and never posted but I felt compelled to post this morning since.. I am considering buying another one.

Since then, I've been through a couple of cars.. some pretty expensive ones (RS5, E92 M3), but they could not quite replicate that same feeling of being in the S2K. It wasn't even close, and that's why I'm back here.

I eventually landed in an NB Miata, and it comes pretty close but it just doesn't scratch the itch!
  • I know that Camry's and Accord's will be faster than me and at some point some middle aged woman going through a rough divorce will probably block me from merging onto the highway with a simple light press of the gas pedal.
  • I know that it'll be pretty torque less and I'll have to wring it out on the street to get moving.
  • I know that modding it will be expensive as hell, compared to a Miata but.. I still feel like buying another one.
The first two bullet points don't matter as much since I have a DD.

I was lucky, and the first S2K I bought was problem free except some minor cosmetic blemishes.

But, before I get off to rambling I'd like to ask: what would you do if you were in my position and about to buy an S2K? How would your shopping experience differ?
Old 08-17-2017, 05:27 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

If you know how to drive it the S2000 is no slouch - I'm often shocked at how quick it is if you know what you're doing. I've beaten many modern vehicles off the line or at highway speed... yes I'm romping on it though LOL. But if you're in the wrong gear and RPM then yeah there's no juice LOL.My Friend was following me in his 997 4S last month out in the countryside and he was entirely shocked at the effort to keep pace with me.

Now, I also own a stage 2 S4 (500hp/420tq) with all upgraded suspension bits and bolt on's which is an entirely different animal when it comes to power and grip - but the S2000 is just more fun to drive.

I suggest you look for a 40-70k mile car in as original condition as possible. Expect to pay in the 22k range +- 3k.
The following users liked this post:
funcoland (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by MrFunk
If you know how to drive it the S2000 is no slouch - I'm often shocked at how quick it is if you know what you're doing. I've beaten many modern vehicles off the line or at highway speed... yes I'm romping on it though LOL. But if you're in the wrong gear and RPM then yeah there's no juice LOL.My Friend was following me in his 997 4S last month out in the countryside and he was entirely shocked at the effort to keep pace with me.

Now, I also own a stage 2 S4 (500hp/420tq) with all upgraded suspension bits and bolt on's which is an entirely different animal when it comes to power and grip - but the S2000 is just more fun to drive.

I suggest you look for a 40-70k mile car in as original condition as possible. Expect to pay in the 22k range +- 3k.
Yeah, I am thinking it'll be about that much as well. To my surprise, it doesn't seem that hard to find one in decent shape with low miles AND with only 1/2 previous owners.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:04 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Since values are going up people are selling - especially those who've kept em OEM and haven't really driven them a ton. So they are to be found for sure. But I think in a year or two those "gems" will be in the hands of "collectors" and will become more and more difficult to find.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:18 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Honestly, I wouldn't shy away from 100K models if they are stock and well taken car of.

I've had no issues out of mine that I bought with 100K 9 years ago. I did buy it at a local Honda Dealer. It was a trade in on a new S2k in 08.

Clean, well maintained cars are the hard ones to find, regardless of mileage.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by MrFunk
Since values are going up people are selling - especially those who've kept em OEM and haven't really driven them a ton. So they are to be found for sure. But I think in a year or two those "gems" will be in the hands of "collectors" and will become more and more difficult to find.
I hear that all the time, and it's true that a pristine condition one will command a high premium but since so many of them are for sale, I can tell they are kind of going the way of the Miata. A crapshoot of high quality great condition cars mixed with modded, beaten junk. I'll be a little flexible on things because if I pick one up that's TOO clean then I get into the mindset of "man I don't want to drive it, it's too perfect".
Old 08-17-2017, 09:51 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by funcoland
I'll be a little flexible on things because if I pick one up that's TOO clean then I get into the mindset of "man I don't want to drive it, it's too perfect".
Great observation. Obviously we're all different, but if you know that you're of a certain personality type that is bothered by such things then I'd say the above thought is spot on. Sadly, I'm finding that I'm a bit more like this than I would have ever imagined — I'm hoping that this passes with time.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm always surprised at the comments calling the car slow. I do agree that there is little torque on demand when just cruising along, but the car is still faster than any minivan or mid priced family sedan (ie. Maxima, Accord, Camry) in the quarter mile and equals or bests most of them in 0-60. The problem is its not as effortless. You really have to squeeze it out of the S. Heck, its as fast as the Mustang GT from it era.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd say buy sooner than later. Prices seem to be on the incline.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might not be the fastest out there, but the all around balance of the car is amazing, and it's definitely a car you don't see all that often. Had mine for 8 months now,I look forward to driving it everyday and often find myself going home the longer way on the way back just for a little more seat time DD 03

Quick Reply: If you were in the market for an S2K what would you tell me?