S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Recommended sporty street brake pads for street use/autoX/canyon carving?

Old 08-17-2017, 12:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Recommended sporty street brake pads for street use/autoX/canyon carving?

So, I'm looking for a new set of brake pads. To give some background, I used a set of Hawk HP+ pads for a while, with the intention of pulling both street and track duty. I was less than impressed with them for a couple of reasons:

-On the street, they were pretty loud and dusted like crazy. The squeal got so loud that the wife was getting embarrassed whenever we would come to a stop and I had people telling me "you need to get new brakes" on a regular basis.
-During a few HPDE lapping sessions, they got hot quickly and exhibited a substantial amount of pad fade after only a couple laps at HPR. They were not confidence inspiring to say the least. Before anyone mentions it, I was running stainless steel brake lines and freshly bled high temp brake fluid- they weren't the culprits; the pedal never went "soft" (aka fluid boiling) my stopping distances just kept increasing (aka pad fade).

After my last track day at HPR, I decided if I was going to do anymore lapping, I would just buy a set of dedicated track pads (likely Carbotech XP10/XP8). And since the HP+ pads had such loud/aggressive street manners, I put the OEM pads back on for street duty.

The OEM pads work just fine I suppose, but I would like something with a little more initial bite/overall stopping power. Strictly for street use, with just a bit of autoX and canyon carving thrown in here and there. I got pretty spoiled by the stopping power of the HP+ pads and my daily is a Focus RS that has large Brembo's with substantially more stopping power; so I notice the lack of brake bite with the OEM pads every time I drive it.

Any pads you guys can suggest that are more aggressive than OEM, without the loud squeal of the HP+ pads? I can deal with a bit of brake dust, it's just the squeal that drove me away from the HP+.

Recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2017, 04:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

After doing a bit of digging, I'm looking at the Ferodo DS2500 pads. Has anyone used the DS2500 back to back with the OEM pads? If so, how did the initial bite and overall braking power compare?
Old 08-17-2017, 09:05 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Can't go wrong with ferodo. But oem CR pads r good or r8 g loc as well.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:52 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If you are looking for bite over heat, an auto-x pad may work for you.

To me the perfect stock + brake pad is the stoptech sport. A little more bite, with quite a bit more heat capacity. The only downside being more dusting. Plus they are cheap.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:09 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

My preference for street/autox is EBC Yellow Stuff. Great initial bite, quiet, last a fair number of miles (I buy pads maybe once a year and drive ~30K per year). The bite on the pad actually goes up a bit once it gets some heat in it, though I wouldn't recommend them for track use as they'll fade out fairly quickly if you're a faster driver. The dust from them is moderate, but considering the number of miles I drive in a week, you probably won't notice it much in a weekend only car.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

What I liked about the HP+ is their cold bite and torque.
What I disliked was the corrosive dust. Don't mind dust. But do mind rust dust.

If you liked the torque and pedal feel of the HP+, you'll probably dislike the Stoptech Sport. Their strength is linear torque and high temp fade resistance. They feel like OEM pads that won't give up. But for stabbing the brakes at an autocross to scrub off instant speed, and for that smile enducing exponentially progressive stopping power....meh. Nah. Wrong pad.

If you want a pad that does everything that the HP+ does...but better...and doesn't stain your wheels...then spend some more money and buy the Carbotech AX6. More fade resistance. Better cold temp range. Dust wipes off.

Also a HUGE advantage of the AX is that you don't need to switch rotors to run your XP's for the track. They're compatible.

***I am sure people rawdog their XP's on previously used rotors all the time with "ZERO problems been doing it 18 years all day bro"...but the proper way is to use carbotechs with quarantined rotors.

I've also heard good stuff about the GG DOT edge code friction rated Yellowstuffs. I'm assuming all applications are GG? Idk.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:23 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

We have used Ferodo DS2500 extensively on street cars (both shop cars and customer cars) and have nothing but good things to say about them. Another nice thing about them is they are fully compatible with the Ferodo DS300 and DS1-11 meaning you don't have to swap the rotors for track use, just the pads. Shoot us a PM and we can provide competitive pricing on Ferodo, Hawk, Carbotech, EBC, Project Mu, Stoptech etc.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by arctic_blue83
After doing a bit of digging, I'm looking at the Ferodo DS2500 pads. Has anyone used the DS2500 back to back with the OEM pads? If so, how did the initial bite and overall braking power compare?
I went from an OEM pad to the DS2500s and they have been my dual duty pad for the last 3 years. I switched on OEM rotors and now run DBA Slotted with a fresh set of DS2500s.

Street Review:

Light braking will create a squeal and the volume can change. It used to be loud on my OEM rotors however less so with the DBAs. You can just brake harder to avoid the noise but keep an eye in your rear view just in case someone is a little close to you.
If you bring the pads up to heat then the noise will disappear. I will usually be noise free for a few weeks after a track event. It's basically telling you its time for more fun
The DS2500s create dust but if you wash your car regularly it wont matter to much. I have a lot more dust with the slotted rotors compared to a flat rotor.
On a freshly bled system the pads feel great but you will feel a difference between a cold and warm pad. I would say i get the about 1" travel (initial slop) then light bite will apply, another 1/2" to 1" will then get me full bite. When warm the full bite will occur earlier. It feels like the pads swell with heat requiring less pedal travel.

Track Review:

I run Penrite 10/tenths brake fluid (basically an aussie brand high temp fluid with SS lines without ducting) and have stock power. The tracks i run aren't generally high speed and most hard braking is top of 3rd to mid of 2nd gear.
The pads last and i have never felt better about the purchase. I have never experienced brake fade. After multiple sessions i will get some fade from the fluid but not enough to stop going out on track.
It takes only a couple of hard brakes to get them up to temp and just they are just so consistent. They handle 5 to 6 x 15min sessions with ease.
The slotted rotors with SS lines (i installed them at the same time) increased the initial bite feel from the OEM. My original set lasted 8 track days (50 laps on average each day).
They will continue to be my pad until i move from a UHP tyre to semi slick.

If you do buy them, there is a change in the rear pad and they no longer come with the nipple for the hand brake. I have had no issues with the hand brake since installing the nipple-less version.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bruunz:
arctic_blue83 (08-23-2017), banancat (05-15-2022), SakeBomb Garage (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

^ I like the vivid description
Old 08-20-2017, 11:00 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Following to see if anyone has used the Ferodo DS3000 pad.

Quick Reply: Recommended sporty street brake pads for street use/autoX/canyon carving?