S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Multi Gauge + Lap Timer ?

Old 08-19-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Multi Gauge + Lap Timer ?

Im looking for suggestions for a multi gauge and maybe a single unit that can do multi gauge + OBD-2 + Maybe a lap timer.
Car is a stock AP1. I was first considering the Greddy Informeter, DEFI advance ZD, ARK MFD2, PLX DM-100 setup.. But it seems like non of these options really fill my needs (wants).

What im really wanting is a single device that can read OBD-2 sensors, can at least have an external oil pressure and oil temperature sensor added to it, and can display lap times. I know, im asking a lot. Is there anything on the market that can do this for around or under $1000? also, i would realy like it if the display will fit on the dash in the radio mode button area.

Any one have experience with AIM MyChron5? it is a display for karting and is the closest thing i have found that may work with a tad bit of out of the box thinking.
AiM MyChron5
Old 08-19-2017, 02:07 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

The OBD feed from a pre 06 is VERY slow. 1hz. This will make your RPM and TPS samples very inaccurate relative to your GPS samples.

Also I would highly recommend data logging over guages. Most of the time when something goes wrong in the heat of the moment you wouldnt have had your eyes locked on the guage through the whole event (well for the sake of everyone on-track with you i hope you wont have). Data lets you go back and look at everything without bias later.

My setup is Oil press / temp sent into the analog inputs on my Kpro and then that is sampled at 10hz along with everything else and sent to my Aim SOLO DL datalogger. I have full engine data AND gps/accelerometer as well as oil pressure / temp going back a few years now. The Solo DL has configurable pages so on the street i use a 4 guage display with oil press / temp IAT and water temp, on track, just a giant predictive display. Full write-up on my setup is here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...orial-1153580/

Unfortunately the options for a pre-canbus ecu cars are limited without tapping / running a hundred wires to sample everything in analog or accepting the pitiful 1hz sampling rate.

you might also have a look at the race capture suite of loggers. They support output to android based dash displays as well as a DIY hardwired one based on a raspberry pi which is pretty cool
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceC...n_Raspberry_Pi
Old 08-21-2017, 08:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be looking for a second hand motorsport dash. Like an AIM or a MoTeC ADL 2/SDL 2 or later. Aftermarket gauges are obsolete. It will pay for itself the first time the warnings work correctly to save a motor. Just wire in the RPM, temps and any other channels you'd like. You'll have it for life, it's a great investment.

-Paddy
Old 08-21-2017, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
The OBD feed from a pre 06 is VERY slow. 1hz. This will make your RPM and TPS samples very inaccurate relative to your GPS samples.

Also I would highly recommend data logging over guages. Most of the time when something goes wrong in the heat of the moment you wouldnt have had your eyes locked on the guage through the whole event (well for the sake of everyone on-track with you i hope you wont have). Data lets you go back and look at everything without bias later.

My setup is Oil press / temp sent into the analog inputs on my Kpro and then that is sampled at 10hz along with everything else and sent to my Aim SOLO DL datalogger. I have full engine data AND gps/accelerometer as well as oil pressure / temp going back a few years now. The Solo DL has configurable pages so on the street i use a 4 guage display with oil press / temp IAT and water temp, on track, just a giant predictive display. Full write-up on my setup is here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...orial-1153580/

Unfortunately the options for a pre-canbus ecu cars are limited without tapping / running a hundred wires to sample everything in analog or accepting the pitiful 1hz sampling rate.

you might also have a look at the race capture suite of loggers. They support output to android based dash displays as well as a DIY hardwired one based on a raspberry pi which is pretty cool
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceC...n_Raspberry_Pi
The Race Capture seems like a very powerful device, especially at its price point.

I think the ideal set up i would want is a solo dl with ECT, Oil Press and Oil temp being logged through it. Unfortunately, not having a stand alone or CAN obd2 ecu, im unable to feed these inputs into the solo dl, correct? I think i can live with 1hz ect reading, but the other inputs would need to be faster.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a RaceCapture Pro MK3 in my car, and while it's a frustrating device (their analysis software is terrible and support from them is so spotty) I'm starting to get some use out of it.

I have a stock 2006 (engine perspective) and I am now logging:
RPM
Coolant Temp
TPS, Brake Pressure, and Steering Angle (these 3 are very cool)

I have the ability to log but haven't set up yet:
Ambiant temp
Left wheel speed, right wheel speed.
and probably more that I can hunt through CAN logs for.
Any other sensor you would like.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by AFK-S2K
The Race Capture seems like a very powerful device, especially at its price point.

I think the ideal set up i would want is a solo dl with ECT, Oil Press and Oil temp being logged through it. Unfortunately, not having a stand alone or CAN obd2 ecu, im unable to feed these inputs into the solo dl, correct? I think i can live with 1hz ect reading, but the other inputs would need to be faster.
I will answer my own question here. it seems there are some devices that will allow you to connect analog inputs and will convert to CAN for the use with AIM Solo DL.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by the-moss
I have a RaceCapture Pro MK3 in my car, and while it's a frustrating device (their analysis software is terrible and support from them is so spotty) I'm starting to get some use out of it.

RPM
Coolant Temp

Ambiant temp
Thanks for the input. all of the features of racecapture are intriguing. Im not sure i want to put in the time and effort for it. Im starting to lean towards an AIM solo DL with this interface unit (Interface unit for AIM Solo-DL, for non can-bus and wired sensors,with connector) that allows analog inputs. in the end, the price may not be much different then a racecapture setup, but maybe set up and operating time/effort will be much less.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by the-moss

RPM
Coolant Temp

Ambiant temp
My experiences with RCP are similar (I have a MK2). About a year ago I attempted to help improve the logging software and ran into a dictatorship that turned me away. I attempted to do my own thing, but found numerous bugs handling 29-bit CAN. In spite of that, I have used RCP successfully for about two years now. If you are looking for turn-key, look elsewhere.

My work in progress is to add the full Honda protocol to capture data from the ECU at 18Hz. In addition, numerous other data sources are available as raw data over CAN; I have raw engine speed at 25Hz and wheel speeds at 50Hz. It is a slow process trying to A) reverse engineer the CAN data and B) get it integrated into an "open source" device filled with bugs, quirks, and limitations. Regardless, I do have lap times, engine speed, and vehicle speed all displaying on a tablet mounted in the car.

Last edited by imstimpy; 08-22-2017 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by imstimpy
My experiences with RCP are similar (I have a MK2). About a year ago I attempted to help improve the logging software and ran into a dictatorship that turned me away. I attempted to do my own thing, but found numerous bugs handling 29-bit CAN. In spite of that, I have used RCP successfully for about two years now. If you are looking for turn-key, look elsewhere.

My work in progress is to add the full Honda protocol to capture data from the ECU at 18Hz. In addition, numerous other data sources are available as raw data over CAN; I have raw engine speed at 25Hz and wheel speeds at 50Hz. It is a slow process trying to A) reverse engineer the CAN data and B) get it integrated into an "open source" device filled with bugs, quirks, and limitations. Regardless, I do have lap times, engine speed, and vehicle speed all displaying on a tablet mounted in the car.
Thanks for the input. This all sounds awesome. Had this been a year ago, i would jump all over this. As time goes on, im now at a point where i want near plug and play options for the car. After doing a full turbo build and adding analog sensors to aem ecu with serial gauge im at a point of wanting to keep it simple (old car), yet i would love a small tablet display on the side of my dash where the audio mode button is. Maybe if someone did a full RaceCapture write up/how to that was easy to follow. hmm.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

If you want simple go and find a used Traqmate. It's as plug and play as you can get for lap timing and g-forces. It's easy to add an RPM feed into it, and you can get an adaptor to add 4 analog channels. Their analysis software is outstanding too.

Edit: my traqmate is still my primary data logger while I get this RaceCapture figured out.

Quick Reply: Multi Gauge + Lap Timer ?