S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

first mods questions, need some basic info

Old 10-13-2017, 05:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default first mods questions, need some basic info

Hey all ,
So new here to this forum and more importantly to the s2000 itself.
Been doing some reading about some of the performance mods and I'm really only interested ion a couple.
It's suggested the the 2 quick performance boosters, and biggest bang for the bucks$$ are a test pipe and an intake, along with a custom tune.

Having come from the motor cycle world, and custom tuning my bike when I added a big air kit and modified exhaust, I am "assuming" it's the same with the s2000? eg...if you make certain mods to the intake/exhaust you have to compensate for the added air/fuel ratio....

So after reading post after post on exhausts and intakes, could someone suggest a good test pipe and intake to go with that are reasonably priced and proven good bang for the bucks??
thanks!!!!
Old 10-13-2017, 06:23 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Tires and brakes. That's what I'd work on first.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:32 AM

Thanks Rob-2,
That happens to be the first thing my shop guy will be checking when the car gets here from NY. Are you suggesting upgrades? or simply OEM replacement equipment?
thanks
Old 10-13-2017, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's suggesting upgrading your calipers, pads, and discs, not suggesting that you replace to OEM. I agree with him on that, and then after that I'd do intake / exhaust. On a side note, you don't necessarily need a custom tune just because you got a cold air intake, you shouldn't need a custom tune for that, or for a new exhaust. Both of those mods are bolt-ons and don't require a custom tune. A custom tune would be good, and can possibly help squeeze more HP out of those two mods, but aren't required.

For intake, I personally like the K&N cold air intake, but there are so many different brands that it's really up to you. I'd follow rob-2's advice first though and upgrade the brakes and tires, since those are debatably the best bang-for-buck upgrades you can do early on that don't entirely change the car like serious power modifications. Cold air intakes and exhaust are hyped up too much, but honestly the 10-15hp difference that both mods combined generate are barely noticeable and don't enhance the driving experience as much as the brakes and tires would.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:10 AM

Great stuff....much appreciated and makes total sense!!!! I did read an article here about the HUGE diff a set of tires made in terms of the ride and handling quality...no to see if I can find that thrrad again to see what everyone has found to be the best combo for tires front and read....size etc etc....thanks much Altas2000!!!!

g
Old 10-13-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

Drive the car first. Before you go buying wider wheels and mega wide tires, see how you like it stock. Maybe a good set of sticky tires in stock sizes will suit you well.

Wider front tires reduce turn in feel and responsiveness. So there are advantages to stock sizes. Modern rubber is so sticky, stock sizes may be more than you need for the street.

An intake and exhaust are mostly appearance and sound mods. Not much gain from either. The only reason to replace stock cat is if you plan to tune, and to lower vtec rpm as part of tune. You'll need to replace stock cat with hfc or tp to lower vtec effectively. Otherwise tp or hfc does virtually zero.

Imo, the single best mod is to lower vtec rpm. Fatten tbe middle. With an '06 plus this is as easy as Flashpro. More difficult with the older ones. You'll need a tp or hfc. Thats it. Best bamg fpr buck by far.

Honestly beyond that, you'll need to go with power adders, FI, nos, etc, for any decent power to dollar ratio.

Which is where tires and brake pads and suspension come into play. More performance, just not straight line.

Brakes, unless you're going to track, where you'll need to increase heat capacity, bigger brakes will be a waste. Not helpful for street or autox. Just get a good set of pads (stock pads are very decent for street and autox).

Stock suspension, if not worn out, is also very, very good. Excellent for the street, decent for autox and occasional track use.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:20 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by gchalifoux
Hey all ,
So new here to this forum and more importantly to the s2000 itself.
Been doing some reading about some of the performance mods and I'm really only interested ion a couple.
It's suggested the the 2 quick performance boosters, and biggest bang for the bucks$$ are a test pipe and an intake, along with a custom tune.

Having come from the motor cycle world, and custom tuning my bike when I added a big air kit and modified exhaust, I am "assuming" it's the same with the s2000? eg...if you make certain mods to the intake/exhaust you have to compensate for the added air/fuel ratio....

So after reading post after post on exhausts and intakes, could someone suggest a good test pipe and intake to go with that are reasonably priced and proven good bang for the bucks??
thanks!!!!

What year is your S2000?

An 06+ model can benefit more tangibly from bolt ons simply because one can very easily reprogram the ECU via Flashpro tuning.

All models do benefit from bolt ons by themselves as well. But the easy ability to tune and bring the most out of the mods is really what you'll be missing on earlier models.

I don't really like "stick and filter" intakes because of the way they sound and look. But...that's like...just my opinion, man.

Any brand of test pipe with good bends/welds, and the correct diameter will work. Invidia is a safe bet.

Those mods also slightly reduce weight.

But...wait. Drive it stock. Decide what you think it needs. Plenty of people are happy with the stock power delivery. And bolt on mods will not change that character drastically anyway.

I bought my exhaust and test pipe merely for the sound and look...and weight saving of about 35LB. I'm sure it makes a few HP, but I really bought it because (for me), the sound and looks served to greatly improve upon the car's character.

The car really is fantastic in stock form when its maintained well and has good tires/brakes on it.

The stock brakes, tire sizing, and wheels are fine. But the car will benefit quite a bit from a set of performance tires and brake pads.

Keep it simple, though.

FWIW, I have a T1R 70 EM Single exit exhaust and a 70mm invidia test pipe.

Also FWIW...my S2000 is not daily driven. If it was...it would not have an exhaust or TP.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:59 PM

Howdy B Serious....
thanks for responding. Mine is a 2005 ....I believe when it gets here it will be 100% OEM stock....that is if the deal didn't fall through....waiting to hear from my dealer who sent his runner to Brooklyn NY to pick up the car....last I heard, he was on the early a.m. train from Worcester, Ma to NY Penn Station.....still haven't got an update.....waiting..........waiting.........waitin g........
Old 10-13-2017, 03:15 PM

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts

Stickies
Old 10-13-2017, 03:18 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

2005 and earlier cars are not economically "tuneable." You need an afermarket ECU and probably a dyno. And someone who can read the fuel and timing tables. "Lowering VTEC" sounds great but even with FlashPro and a 2006 or later you can't just type in the lowered VTEC rpm. Actually you can (!) but unless you change a couple dozen other setting the car will run like crap.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: first mods questions, need some basic info