S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Looking for advice

Old 10-15-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for advice

So I am a senior in college and have been saving to get a bit of a project car, I have sorta settled on getting an s2000 but definitely wanna run boost. So this has lead me here and with questions, I posted in introductions but discovered this would be a more appropriate place to discuss this. Im looking at wanting 350hp+ to the rear wheels and still maintaining reliability and safety, I cant afford to blow up motors. Im also wanting to run the stock drive line aside from an upgraded clutch. Im looking at getting something with probably 100k miles plus due to my budget and I plan to replace the timing chain, tct, gaskets, fluids, plugs and wires, that sort of thing but is it safe to boost a motor like this? with higher miles? or would I need to go further replacing bearings, piston rings, honing or re-sleeveing, ect? Also comes the argument of turbo or SC? Currently looking at an ScienceofSpeed Stage 2 Supercharger System because it includes everything I need aside from the clutch to SC. Any and all discussion and advise is welcomed!
Old 10-15-2017, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/user/LHTPerformance

they specialize in supercharging s2000's and really know what they're doing. It's the best option imo if you're looking for 350 ish whp.
If you already know, that 350 is not gonna cut it and you want more in the future... I would say, get a good turbo setup and turn up the boost. Supercharger kits on stock engines are limited to about 400 hp
Old 10-15-2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jaspah
Contact these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/user/LHTPerformance

they specialize in supercharging s2000's and really know what they're doing. It's the best option imo if you're looking for 350 ish whp.
If you already know, that 350 is not gonna cut it and you want more in the future... I would say, get a good turbo setup and turn up the boost. Supercharger kits on stock engines are limited to about 400 hp
Wanted to do the work myself, probably cannot afford to pay someone to do it and I grew up around cars and know how to work on them, also I live in Michigan....Florida is a long ways away lol
Old 10-15-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

If you can't afford to break it then you can't afford to boost it.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Charper732
If you can't afford to break it then you can't afford to boost it.
I will politely like to disagree, again grew up around cars, you can safely boost a car without breaking it. IMO
Old 10-15-2017, 04:53 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Ewest
I will politely like to disagree, again grew up around cars, you can safely boost a car without breaking it. IMO
as much as we want to help you, get the car first. Not trying to be an ass but real help will come when you run into real problems along the build. Just like jaspah said, both sc and turbo will meet your current power goals, but if you want 400+ down the road, go turbo with a good manifold. You should def consider doing all the basic maintenance like tct, belt, clutch, and fluid changes. As far as internals go, stock is good for up to 450ish or until something breaks. I would suggest upgrading to dual valvesprings beyond that for proper valve function with the increase speed/stress your motor will be seeing. But this is all fairytale talk at least until you have an s2000 in your possesion.
The following users liked this post:
Ewest (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ewest
I understand you are mechanically inclined. But stuff WILL break. I promise. I'm not just talking about the motor. Random stuff will break. Downpipes cracking, manifolds cracking, turbo bearings eating themselves, ect. Shit happens, it's part of the game.These cars run extremely tight bottom end bearing clearances from factory., something like .007-.015". Unless you pull the motor to see what you are working wtih, you are gambling. .015 is doable, .007 is a death sentence.

I'm just trying to be straight with you. I'm in college as well and I am running my boosted s2k as my daily. I went with the highest quality everything I could get...stuff still happens. Make sure you have an extra car as a back up.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:42 PM

I understand you are mechanically inclined. But stuff WILL break. I promise. I'm not just talking about the motor. Random stuff will break. Downpipes cracking, manifolds cracking, turbo bearings eating themselves, ect. Shit happens, it's part of the game.These cars run extremely tight bottom end bearing clearances from factory., something like .007-.015". Unless you pull the motor to see what you are working wtih, you are gambling. .015 is doable, .007 is a death sentence.

I'm just trying to be straight with you. I'm in college as well and I am running my boosted s2k as my daily. I went with the highest quality everything I could get...stuff still happens. Make sure you have an extra car as a back up.
Thats my bad, I guess I took that as, you will blow the bottom end out lol and I went well hey no I wont I know what im doing with cars lol. Also im not looking for more than 400whp to start. To give a bit of context as to why I wanna boost almost right away is just that im used to driving my dads cars that are mostly old muscle cars with LS engines in them with 500+ hp and aftermarket frames so they actually handle. I just feel like the stock s2k would bore me quickly even with the handling. Also errr if factory is .007-.015 why would .007 be a death sentence? Would that not indicate little wear? One last point, I can deal with things like you said breaking, what i cant afford is to blow the bottom end out of the motor and need a whole knew one haha, thats why I wanna be safe and aim for 350-400whp
Old 10-15-2017, 06:25 PM

Depends on Hp and boost levels...typically build a boosted motor to .020-.030" Boost causes stress. The crank will flex. The less bearing clearance you have the more likely you are to have the crank contact the bearing surface and shit gets out of round real fast.
Honestly, you should be fine at 400...but 400 gets old pretty fast imo. This car feels perfect at 5-550

Other option, which If I could turn back time I would have done...go nitrous. It's fun as hell and its power when you want it..not all the time. Plus its CHEAP asf and you can make stupid power with it.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:43 PM

Depends on Hp and boost levels...typically build a boosted motor to .020-.030" Boost causes stress. The crank will flex. The less bearing clearance you have the more likely you are to have the crank contact the bearing surface and shit gets out of round real fast.
Honestly, you should be fine at 400...but 400 gets old pretty fast imo. This car feels perfect at 5-550

Other option, which If I could turn back time I would have done...go nitrous. It's fun as hell and its power when you want it..not all the time. Plus its CHEAP asf and you can make stupid power with it.
lol just spray my way to 400 like walk in, I need a 200 shot of nos for my Honda.