S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Mechanic - May Have Screwed Me Up.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mechanic - May Have Screwed Me Up.

Hey S2K Peeps!

I'll cut straight to the point. I brought my other car to a mechanic that a family member recommended. Since I was being pro-active and I just want to make sure that my car's maintenance and what not can be fixed before any problem arises.
So he said that the engine was good. But the Left rear suspension needs to be changed and tells me that the squeaking noise from the L rear will be gone and the steering wheel will get lighter once these are changed.
Without hesitation, I agreed to his recommendation and decided, I might as well replace all four of the suspensions.

I got the car back and guess what, the squeak never went away and the steering wheel's still heavy. I texted him and told him that nothing's changed, not even an inkling. So now he tells me via text, does the squeak go away when the car gets wet. I said, yes. Then he tells me, it might be your steering wheel pump that's why it's still heavy and your breaks is what's causing the squeak.

I told him, $1,400 was a lot and I followed his recommendation to have them replaced just so it's fixed. So he tells me to bring it back so he can fix it for "free".

Fast forward, I brought the car back to his shop and left it there for two days. I picked the car up today and tells me, "what squeak are you talking about", he was acting as if the squeak wasn't there right from the very start. Basically, he's giving me excuses but in the end he tells me I can just, again, bring it back to him and he will fix at his cost. So I said, well you had the car for two days and what was it exactly that you did. He simply told me he lubricated all the joints and and bushing. So going back to what he said, to just bring the car back and he will fix it for free.

I'm just really, disappointed. $1,400 is a lot and is painful to see that nothing changed except the fact that the suspensions were replaced, but still having the squeak and heavy steering wheel, when all and all he tells me that by replacing those, the problems will go away. These squeaks are loud just an FYI.

​​​​​​Question is, has anyone had similar issues before? and if yes, what was the outcome?
If the outcome was negative, how did you solve it.
Would you still bring the car back to the same mechanic to resolve the issue?

SS

Last edited by SaintS2000; 10-19-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:52 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Man...I don't think this guy knows what he's doing. No offense to him or you.

There are no joints to lubricate.

If he just greased or WD40'd the suspension...its a sign he was just spitballing solutions. And it can attract junk from the road.

What did he replace? Shocks and springs? I hope he used factory parts?

Under what conditions does the car squeak? Do you maybe just need brakes?

This car's steering is a bit heavy when you get going at higher speed. But has the alignment been checked?

What kind of tires are you using? Is the car lowered? What year is it?
Old 10-19-2017, 06:34 PM

The car squeaks on a slightest uneven surface. It isn't the break. The whole point is, The original resolution that I agreed upon did not change the problem.

Now he's saying sway bars and all. I also told him to not use w40.

Funny thing is, that was also my concern, that he'll just lube it up, which is what he did.

I just really need to know how to handle it this type of situation since this has never happened to me where I felt I was scammed.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:47 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

I don't think you were scammed. Just...he didn't know what he was doing.

What type of suspension did he set you up with? What parts did he buy for $1400 (including labor)?
Old 10-19-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

Who knows, maybe this mechanic did do a good job on your family member's Ford or GM beast. This S is not a Chevy, however. This car is a very unique animal. Lots of threads here about even Honda dealers and their mechanics making mistakes with this car.

You need to find a mechanic who deals with niche cars of this caliber.

Do not go back to him. Sorry about the $1400. The fact he mentioned a "steering wheel pump" indicates he has not a clue. (There is no pump; the S has an electric assisted steering system) If he installed non OEM parts, I would replace them.

Good luck.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

At the risk of not being helpful....this is why I try to work on my own cars as much as possible. I had a similar issue where I asked a shop to diagnose a problem and was told I needed a new engine, this was about 2 years ago.

Fast forward to today and I'm driving the same car, same engine with a new oil pump chain tensioner which cost me $150 and my labor to replace. Worst part is I told the shop it was the problem, provided them the part and a week of time to do it and they still told me I needed a new engine. Anyways....sorry about your story but you probably need to find a new shop.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:07 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

you don't mention what your other car is that was worked on. s2000?

Always ask for your old parts back. 99% of the time I do my own work so I know its done correctly.
​​​​​​​darcy
Old 10-19-2017, 07:29 PM

It was a Benz. The question pertains to what would one do in this situation or to his action or lack there of. Again, there was nothing wrong with the car. I was just being pro-active and had him checked the car for safety reasons and the fact that we have a newborn.

Yes, normally, I'd ask for the old parts back or look at them. But with this one I didn't. So, no regrets there.

But that $1,400 would be well worth it if the squeaks are gone after following his recommendation. But that didn't happen.
BTW, I didn't bargain nor ask for a discount and even
paid it with cash.

I really appreciate the wealth and guidance I get from this specific car forum.

Last edited by SaintS2000; 10-19-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I normally wouldn't comment on a thread like this however, I honestly think you should just cut your losses and move on. Being nice won't get your money back and any further dealings with the mechanic will just cause you more grief. Your in a lose / lose situation.

I don't mean to sound harsh but you need to accept you got taken for a ride and learn from this experience.

Hopefully someone on here can direct you to a reputable shop in your area.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bruunz
I normally wouldn't comment on a thread like this however, I honestly think you should just cut your losses and move on. Being nice won't get your money back and any further dealings with the mechanic will just cause you more grief. Your in a lose / lose situation.

I don't mean to sound harsh but you need to accept you got taken for a ride and learn from this experience.

Hopefully someone on here can direct you to a reputable shop in your area.
I'm considering it now, as you mentioned, cut my losses. I'll admit, somehow it did affect me and it still is. But yeah, I have to let this one go. I just hope that this mechanic turns around and be fair and square sooner than later.

Quick Reply: Mechanic - May Have Screwed Me Up.