Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

5th try ~ My 08 BB s2000 CR ~ Final Build thread

Old 11-02-2017, 07:42 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb 5th try ~ My 08 BB s2000 CR ~ Final Build thread

This surely isn't my first rodeo as I've had a few s2000's over the past few years and loved every one of them. We are a true Honda family as both my wife and I have our own s2000's though we both hardly have time to drive them these days.

Recently I wanted to give the s2000 CR a try since never really owned a real CR. If you guys remember my last build was a 09 GPW s2000 which I built into a CR look with many of the parts and it was supercharged. This time around I want to stay N/A and build around the car's solid platform.

Nothing crazy but have big plans for the car's exterior and interior.

Current planned mods:

Full black Alcantara Interior with yellow sttiching
Matching Recaro Pole Positions with yellow accents
NSX wheels/ / stick y Dunlop tires
Upgraded brake pads / SS lines
EuroBoutique CF flat bottom steering wheel
EuroBoutique full carbon fiber interior kit (door sills, center console, gauge cluster, shift knob, etc)
EuroBoutique Carbon rearview mirror
EuroBoutique Carbon Rock Guardz
Carbon aero splitter
OEM Honda side strakes
Ohlins DFV coilover suspension
TBA.....

The car was delivered October 16, 2017 and been busy getting all the basic maintenance work done first. Car will be detailed by my local guy who is really good with JDM cars and well known in both the s2000 and NSX communities. The car has your typical nicks/chips for a used car but overall condition is very good. No accidents, all 10 VIN panels match, etc.

here's some stock photos from delivery and finally back home, enjoy!

Last edited by s4play; 11-05-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Sweet pickup. That lambo though...
Old 11-02-2017, 07:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That car list though.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:45 AM

Spent a few hours this weekend changing all new fluids, new brake pads and getting the engine bay cleaned up a bit.

Going to concentrate on the interior first with the new Recaro seats and carbon bits and pieces, everything is available from EuroBoutique if you want these pieces for your car.

here's the door panels being swapped out:

Wanted to upgrade the door sills to matching yellow stitching with carbon inserts:

The factory seats are pristine condition so going to remove them and keep them in storage. I'm a bit tall for this car with stock seats (6'2") so the Recaro's help give me roughly 2" of extra headroom. I love the seats but wife hates them LOL, these seats were a carry over from my previous GPW s2000 build. They have heated seat pads in the lower back and bottom cushions. The best part is they have the proper rails to directly bolt onto a 2006+ s2000!

Out with the old stuff:

In with the new:

Full Interior matches the OEM CR yellow gauges and other bits:

Another cool little mod I really enjoyed from my last build was the JDM CF rearview mirror. I'm going to be swapping the OEM mirror for this little bad boy:

Last edited by s4play; 11-06-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Why buy a CR only to remove all the CR parts?

Seems pointless.... "I wanted to try a CR and then removed the CR steering wheel, seats, door panels, suspension, and wheels"
The following 2 users liked this post by TheMuffinMan:
516S2K (01-06-2018), s4play (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 07:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yea, i wouldn’t do that to a cr but are you going to be parting with any of those parts?
The following users liked this post:
s4play (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Why buy a CR only to remove all the CR parts?

Seems pointless.... "I wanted to try a CR and then removed the CR steering wheel, seats, door panels, suspension, and wheels"
It's ok - we all have different opinions on a build which is what makes variety great! For me, these parts DO NOT make a CR, these are merely cosmetic pieces and I've had enough s2000's to go both way ways. The past few s2000's were not CR's and I added CR parts only to find it's not ideal. For example the stock s2000 seats are too high for me and I end up looking at the visors or have to slouch. The s2000 wheel is nothing more than yellow stitching.

For me what makes a CR special is the different steering rack, lack of soft top, weight reduction and all the little unique parts such as the "max power" indicator. These are things the stock s2000 does not have and even in my attempted CR parts on my last GPW, it lacked those unique CR parts (sway bars, stiffer chassis, etc).

Seems everywhere I read people love the stock CR suspension so I was very excited to drive the car with the stock setup. But I honestly hate the ride quality, so bouncy and sits WAY TOO high for my taste. I'm too old to be doing a stance look but I do want a lower ride height. Planning to try the Ohlins since I've heard good things about them.

Originally Posted by vasquezgno
Yea, i wouldn’t do that to a cr but are you going to be parting with any of those parts?
Not selling any stock parts, this way I can always put the car back to stock if need arises. I actually wanted a ABP or RYP CR but since I could not find one, settled for this one temporarily.

thanks fellas, welcome all good or bad opinions
Old 11-10-2017, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the Recaros Spg? How do they fit? Any rubbing?
Old 11-10-2017, 06:43 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Good luck on your build. Seems you already have it all planned out. Ive retained all the cosmetics of the cr on mine, i think its unique. The seat is high, but i got backyard special low rails to maintain the stock seat but those recaros are money!! So are those cf door sills. The door panel is a lil too yellow for my taste. The ohlins should be a nice upgrade. Im on swift springs but youre right, its a lil bouncy. Interested in your iteration with the cr
Old 11-10-2017, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ecko_3420
Are the Recaros Spg? How do they fit? Any rubbing?
Recaro Pole Positions, NO rubbing on door or center console door areas. This was very important since the car is driven by my wife sometimes and she needs to move that seat forward quite a bit. Fits perfectly and with the new seats my head is roughly 2" lower and helmets are no longer an issue. The seats started out as standard black cloth Pole Positions, then it was stripped and completely new black ultra-suede covers were stitched along with heated seat pads added for toasty winter top down driving.

Originally Posted by Mijae007
Good luck on your build. Seems you already have it all planned out. Ive retained all the cosmetics of the cr on mine, i think its unique. The seat is high, but i got backyard special low rails to maintain the stock seat but those recaros are money!! So are those cf door sills. The door panel is a lil too yellow for my taste. The ohlins should be a nice upgrade. Im on swift springs but youre right, its a lil bouncy. Interested in your iteration with the cr
Yes each owner I'm sure has different thoughts on what needs to be modded so all good.

I've had some of these parts as transplants from my previous s2000's and I agree those door panels are too yellow. Will get it re-done later this year but can't complain for now. Not sure if you noticed but the door panels are from a 2003 AP1 s2000 because I prefer the round tweeter holes.

The best part about starting with a CR is you don't need to mess with the base car mechanicals. You get all the good stuff and swapping out cosmetic pieces are simple and easily reversible. The only major change I'm doing is the Ohlin's coilovers which should improve ride quality.

Even my "upgraded" wheels are free in a way as they came from my NSX. Perfect fitment and love the look.

here's how she sits now with stock suspension, HATE the wheel gap so that needs to be addressed ASAP:

Quick Reply: 5th try ~ My 08 BB s2000 CR ~ Final Build thread