S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

I guess I'm being silly

Old 11-11-2017, 03:32 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default I guess I'm being silly

So my S picked up another scratch and it is right in the middle of the hood. To make matters worse, the person who was driving it at the time tried to fix it and made matters worse. This one really does stick out like a sore thumb and there is no way I can "buff it out" as the clear coat has already been "buffed" right off. This is now the third body panel that could use some attention. The front bumper cover has its share of curb rash and scratches. The driver's door received a grapefruit-sized parking lot dent that I was able to take out, but the paint at the site of the dent has been permanently mudged up. I was able to live with the bumper cover and door. You could not see these imperfections unless you got close and looked for them. But this new one on the hood really jumps out and says "HEY." So the hood, front bumper, drivers door and the left front fender will all get resprayed. The fender will need it because all the surrounding panels will get sprayed and they have to blend the work into the adjacent panels. Since that fender will be blended on all sides, may as well paint the whole thing. So almost half the car will get a respray.

This is bothering me. I really love my S and plan to keep it for another 15 years. Up until now the body has always been "original" and very presentable. But it won't be after this. I guess I'm being silly.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:49 AM

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
So my S picked up another scratch and it is right in the middle of the hood. To make matters worse, the person who was driving it at the time tried to fix it and made matters worse. This one really does stick out like a sore thumb and there is no way I can "buff it out" as the clear coat has already been "buffed" right off. This is now the third body panel that could use some attention. The front bumper cover has its share of curb rash and scratches. The driver's door received a grapefruit-sized parking lot dent that I was able to take out, but the paint at the site of the dent has been permanently mudged up. I was able to live with the bumper cover and door. You could not see these imperfections unless you got close and looked for them. But this new one on the hood really jumps out and says "HEY." So the hood, front bumper, drivers door and the left front fender will all get resprayed. The fender will need it because all the surrounding panels will get sprayed and they have to blend the work into the adjacent panels. Since that fender will be blended on all sides, may as well paint the whole thing. So almost half the car will get a respray.

This is bothering me. I really love my S and plan to keep it for another 15 years. Up until now the body has always been "original" and very presentable. But it won't be after this. I guess I'm being silly.
I don't think it is silly. I would feel the same way. But sounds like now is the time.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:22 AM

Received 2,735 Likes on 1,613 Posts

It's not silly. A girl sometimes needs a bit of make up as she ages, it's OK but it's hard to accept at times. That's what I tell myself anyway.

I noticed a while back how different the color of the hood is compared to the car. Never noticed it until this year. It bugs both of us. There is also a crease on the rear quarter that is hardly noticeable to most, but it is bugging Rick. I see some paint in our S2000's future as well. Probably in the spring. We'll see what else the car may need after he drives it this winter.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:05 AM

Received 2,575 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Whom do you trust to paint it? You are going to do the whole car, right? Otherwise, I'd be afraid the new parts won't match the old parts. This is for the person who tried to fix it himself.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:02 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Not silly at all, if your plan is to keep the car, you want it to look it's best, do what makes you love the car.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:05 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Levi
Old 11-11-2017, 06:10 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Bill, since your S is a driver, it accumulates imperfections over time. Mine certainly has. But since you are keeping the same color paint the refresh wiil not be obvious, and it should make you feel better to have the respray. And hey, your Big Healey has been resprayed... and looks perfect. I’ve been thinking of having the front half of my S repainted next year.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:43 AM

Received 3,495 Likes on 2,362 Posts

I understand the mentality. I put a scratch in the trunk lid, I have a small hole in the lower front bumper from some road debris.
gee, Bill, Lainey and me, maybe a group buy on resprays of vintage blue.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:27 AM

Received 4,917 Likes on 2,982 Posts

Some colors and some paints are a lot easier to match than others. I would think about getting an opinion from more than one shop, unless you already have a painter you totally trust. A total respray is the only way you can be sure everything matches 100%. If you are already planning to do more than half the car it might be worth the extra few thousand to go all the way. Good paint jobs around here can easily run $5k to $10k.

When it comes to partial paint jobs I've experienced the good and the bad. Wife got rear ended this summer and the repair paint job matched great. I had a less than good experience with the MG when I had two fenders redone and they came out a shade lighter than the rest. The painter talked about temperature, humidity, etc. being factors. But my options were $800 vs $8,000, so I've learned to live with it and it's more noticeable to me than anyone else.

If its just the hood that's bothering you, you might consider having it redone in a totally different color, i.e. darker which is a popular approach by some.

Good luck Bill on whatever you decide.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:52 AM

Received 3,495 Likes on 2,362 Posts

Dave the other thing is just the paint age.
Some colors change when exposed to sunlight for a long time.

Quick Reply: I guess I'm being silly